Constant feeding

Smanderson

Reaction score
Ds2 is constantly feeding, is this normal? When does it get easier? I really starting to wonder if I can handle this. Especially with a 3 year old who is having to wait around all the time while we feed. I kept thinking it was a growth spurt but he's nearly 4 weeks old and it's still happening! He has tongue tie but he's still gaining well. He gained 7oz last week. I'm not sure if his tongue tie is affecting how much milk he gets. I hand expressed 3oz off one side this morning, I really just wanted to see how much would come out easily to see if he was likely getting much milk. It was spraying out until I hit the 3 oz then started dribbling out. I really want to stick with bf if we can.

Depends what you mean by constantly. Yes very regular feeding plus cluster feeding is normal this early on, but a baby who can't get milk as effectively as they should will also feed more often to compensate, so I can't really say without knowing more details.

It's hard to explain, I've been going with the flow and not recording so this is all guesstimates..today for example he fed from 10-2 roughly with a few short breaks like 15-30 mins but then slept 3 hours then fed for about an hour(ish) on and off then did did his usual boob fight which happens 7/8pm every night when I think my milk is low as he literally fights the boob. His arms and legs literally flail about and he sort of shouts it's like he is shouting at me feeeeeed meeeeeee. This is the only time of day/night that this happens which makes me think he's getting enough...that and the gains but the constant feeding is crazy. Last night he fed from 2-5am pretty constantly too ...frankly I wanted to cry by 5am

Ps by pretty constantly at 2-5am I mean he would feed 15 mins fall asleep on me for a few minutes and I would put him down and he would fuss for the boob.....this went on the whole time. Just to add I'm sure it was milk he wanted as he makes a certain noise then he tries feeding on his hands when he's hungry.

Do you have a breast pump? I used it to see if I got a good supply and how long it takes to pump the amount baby needs.

Yeah I have a pump as I expressed for ds1. I'll give it a try and see how much comes out x

A pump is not a good measurement as baby is more efficient. The first 6 weeks of nursing are the hardest. At 4 wks, your body and baby are still adjusting! How are wet and dirty dipes? Call la leche league if need be, they are FREE!

It's hard to explain, I've been going with the flow and not recording so this is all guesstimates..today for example he fed from 10-2 roughly with a few short breaks like 15-30 mins but then slept 3 hours then fed for about an hour(ish) on and off then did did his usual boob fight which happens 7/8pm every night when I think my milk is low as he literally fights the boob. His arms and legs literally flail about and he sort of shouts it's like he is shouting at me feeeeeed meeeeeee. This is the only time of day/night that this happens which makes me think he's getting enough...that and the gains but the constant feeding is crazy. Last night he fed from 2-5am pretty constantly too ...frankly I wanted to cry by 5am

Ps by pretty constantly at 2-5am I mean he would feed 15 mins fall asleep on me for a few minutes and I would put him down and he would fuss for the boob.....this went on the whole time. Just to add I'm sure it was milk he wanted as he makes a certain noise then he tries feeding on his hands when he's hungry.

I think that sounds normal for these early weeks when growth spurts don't always follow the set pattern and cluster feeding can occur at any time of the day. Feed nap feed nap feed nap is a natural way for young babies to feed, as sucking quickly releases a hormone that makes babies sleepy but it is processed by the body quickly too (about 10-20 minutes) so they wake up again. This ensures that they rest often to not get exhausted, but wake often to get nutrition and hydration. Have you got any way of setting up a temporary co-sleeping station for those times when you want to cry and just need to rest but he's cluster feeding? It doesn't mean you always have to co sleep, but just to get a chance to lie down and make sure you wont accidentally fall asleep somewhere unsafe.

Usually cluster feeding starts easing off at around 6 weeks (after the 6week growth spurt, which I have to say for me was the worst - but we did have weight gain / pain/ latch issues) and by 3months there'll likely be much more routine feeding.

I'm not sure what pumping would show you that you don't already know. You know he is taking enough milk to put on weight - knowing how much that is in ounces won't give you any more info because only your baby knows how many ounces he needs, and a pump might not get the same as your baby does anyway...

The flailing around shouting is normal too. It is newborn breastfeeding reflexes designed to stimulate letdowns in you and help him find the nipple.

OnEarth&InHvn thanks that gives me hope just 2-3 more difficult weeks he has plenty of wet and poopy nappies :thumbup: are they uk based? I'll check out their website thanks :flower:

noon_child thanks for the great advice, very reassuring especially about the shouting and flailing. I really thought that was a milk issue. Interesting about the sucking making them sleepy as he often falls asleep feeding and wakes up to continue a few minutes later.

We have the chicco next to me which is making the constant feeding bearable I still struggle keeping awake for so long in the middle of the night. Probably doesn't help our 3 yr old wakes at 6am so finishing feeding at 5 is exhausting :wacko:

I so hope the 6 week mark gets easier light at the end of the tunnel, cant help but wonder why nature makes these things so tough :shrug: will prepare myself for the 6 week growth spurt it sounds tough. Looking forward I more routine feeding that's for sure. I do like a routine.

Thanks again you have really helped me get my head around things. Now to power through these next few weeks till things settle down :thumbup: xxx

https://www.llli.org/ <-- at the top left youll see "To Find local support:" click it.

Could you wear him on a wrap during the day so when he finishes nursing he can just sleep in the wrap so you can then go about your business until he is ready to nurse again? It might avoid him waking up when you try to put him down.

OnErth&InHvn thanks! I'll take a look now X

Jessmke funnily enough my caboo carrier arrived yesterday I'll give that a go today :thumbup: thanks! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->