Constantly breast feeding!

Linny

Reaction score
I'm a new mum with my first baby and have struggled with breast feeding since she was born.

Initially it was soreness but after speaking to several midwives and a breast feeding support worker from day 6 it started to come together and I latched her without awful pain!

She's 9 days old today and since yesterday she seems to refuse any day sleeping unless its in someones arms and wants to feed constantly, as much as every hour. She only feeds for about 15 mins on one breast then falls asleep so won't take the other breast.

I'm worried now she isn't getting enough food and thats why she wants to be fed. Also could the wanting to stay awake be something to do with what I'm eating? I drink about 4 cups of tea a day and wonder if this is it.

Sorry for all the questions :flower:

Might be caffine in your tea - I drink 2-3 cuppas a day, but it doesn't have any effect on Erin. Most probably it is just something she is doing at the moment! Don't worry about her not get enough - if she is feeding every hour, she will get what she needs.

Just go with it - it should get better soon! At least you don't have the pain anymore!! I still hurt every so often 5 weeks down the line!!

Thankyou!

Its not always pain free either, last night she fed five times and it was a killer but today, apart from the first 5 seconds, it has been fine. Strange really!

Could be a growth spurt - I read somewhere that growth spurts happen (approximately):

2-3 days old
7-10 days
3 weeks
6 weeks
9 weeks
3 months
6 months
9 months

If you are getting wet and poopy nappies and she is gaining, she is getting everything she needs. End of.

Yep she's constantly having dirty nappies! Thanks!

my lo was always feeding constantly, even now she's nrly 9 wks and still feeds reg just not as often as b4 and only for like 5 or 10mins at a time. but it has got easier hang in there hunny. my lo looks MAHOOSIVE NOW so it must be working ;) x keep coming on here these ladies make you feel better sometimes just reassurance is enough xx

I think thats normal, Charlie only eats for about 10 minutes every 3-4 hours now but at first it was SO much more often and for about an hour each time :s

As long as shes putting on weight shes getting enough :flower: Youre doing fab!

I think thats normal, Charlie only eats for about 10 minutes every 3-4 hours now but at first it was SO much more often and for about an hour each time :s

Clara is like that too. She would nurse constantly her first few weeks but then it slows down. You're doing a fantastic job! Keep up the great work.

my babe has always been a 10 minute 1 boob per feed - even when she was just born!
your baby sounds absolutely normal to me... well done!
x

I was the same - and some days still are, at six weeks.

When she was first born, I could be feeding every half an hour- every three hours. Sometimes she was on for 10 minutes, sometimes 1 hour! She is still like this on some 'grizzly'/'growing'/growth spurt days.

Hang in there - on good days now she goes 2-3 hours between feeds in the day and these only last 15minutes or so, and at night, she can sometimes go 4-5 hours.

Good luck - Y x x

Speaking to LaLeche leader today she told me that the average pattern to bf ing in tribes where there's no clocks and it's all instinct is 3 minute feed 4 times an hour!! Now I feel fortunate when LO goes an hour between feeds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->