• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Contemplating NTNP How To Start

Laroawan

Reaction score
Hello all,

So my DH and I had a recent pregnancy "scare" (we were actually both excited about the idea). When the test came back negative we were both a little disappointed even though our original plan is to wait 1-2 years before trying.

This started a conversation about the possibility of NTNP and just letting nature take its course. I have 1 and 1/2 packs of bc pills left so we decided we would take that time to think about it and decide before I need to refill my prescription.

If we decided we wanted to do NTNP what should I be doing to prepare? This would be our first baby and even though I have done a lot of reading I don't want to miss anything important. Obviously I would go off bc and would talk with my doctor as well.

I've read about folic acid but what is the right amount to take and should it be started right away?
Is a general prenatal vitamin better or do you take both or neither?
Do you follow pregnancy rules for caffeine and alcohol consumption or wait for a positive? What about other food rules?
Anything else I should know?

Try reading my post on the TTC board labeled "advice needed(long post)" it is about half way down and already has 4 responses with another poster commenting her advice. go check it out :)

angel022605

Hello Laroawan,

I can just tell what I've done and what, I think, was a good compromise.

You can first start taking prenatal vitamins. I have the one from CVS brand, this is a "kit" of 2 bottles, I take one of each every day (so 2 pills everyday in total).
Those prenatal vitamins already contain folic acid but you may ask your doctor if he wants you to take more (I take a huge amount because of my treatment for epilepsy but this is a special case, I have a prescription from my neurologist).

Then, I would try to eat healthy if you don't already but it does not mean that you have to restrict yourself. I had burgers and pizzas, wine or beers sometimes while trying, not a big deal if this is not a "life style". For alcohol, I had a "rule", no more than 1 alcoholic drink a week, but this was already my rule before trying so I did not change it.

I personally stop coffee only when I've seen the + on my test (2 days after missed periods so very early). And of course I've stopped drinking alcohol too.

I hope this help,

MiaMama

Thank you MiaMama. As a newbie I really appreciate the personal stories from ladies who have done this.

I don't drink coffee only 1-2 cups of tea. I've read varying advice about safe caffeine consumption.

My DH and I do enjoy a few drinks of alcohol a week so I will have to keep an eye on my limits.

Yes I've heard that women who have caffeine are more likely to have miscarriage, that's why I stopped. But actually, I was drinking a lot of coffee and I've read that around 200mg caffeine a day is fine so I take one cup in the morning with breakfast and this is all. But I'll probably switch to decaf or even no coffee at all soon since taste can change.
I drink tea too and so switch to tea with no caffeine.

For drinks, I would say, keep the way you used to do it, as long as you are not completely drunk :happydance:
If you like to go out and have a cocktail on friday night after a tough week, go for it! Enjoy every moment as long as it is reasonable and responsible :thumbup:

One of the great thing's about NTNP is the more relaxed approach.

In terms of getting prepared it will depend on how you and your SO feel comfortable NTNP. You can take prenatal vitamins or just take your regular vitamins. Change your diet or keep it the same, chart or don't, its really up to you.:flower:

I would recommend to be prepared for your cycle to be wonky for a few months coming off bcp, before your cycle regulates. Also, keeping track of your cycles, if you don't already, even if it is just your af is helpful.

Personally I chart my af regularly, cm most months, and occasionally ill keep track of bd-ing. I take regular vitamins though my brand does have some folic acid in it, I haven't changed my diet (I really don't eat anything particularly bad for pregnancy). This past year we did start going to the gym more and start eating healthier, but that was not because of NTNP-we use to go to gym but moved and hadn't been motivated to find a new one till this year. I do drink but it isn't an everyday thing for me, more like maybe once or twice a week if that. NTNP just kinda happened in my case. Before NTNP I had been off birth control for over 3 years, and had been using charting for avoiding o, and pullout. Towards the end of last year we stopped avoiding o, and eventually didn't worry about pulling out. If I get really broody or have a potential 2 week wait or missed af I get really active on here, and if not I just get lost in everyday activity :haha:

Thanks for the insight Chai and Mia.

This week I went to my doctor and she gave me the all clear for TTC. I'm going to start taking vitamins with folate this week.

We are going to get DH swimmers checked out next month though as he went through chemo treatment 3 years ago. Fx that everything is still working properly. Prior to treatment he froze a specimen just in case so we do have a backup plan if necessary.

Other than that we really want to move into a 2 bedroom condo. I am happy to start ntnp now but DH wants to wait until we have a place so there wont be any extra stress if I do get pregnant quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"