Continuing male name tradition when grandfather is a murderer - feud with OH - PLEASE Help!

AmySan

Reaction score
Hey everyone-

This will be the first child to either/both of us. We don’t know the gender yet.

My Bf has been dead set on having a boy, even at 6 week ultrasound asked if it was a boy. Joking but sometimes I wonder, has said he won’t love it if it’s a girl. He wants to have a ‘mini me’ and for our entire relationship insisted on naming our first boy the exact same name as his, his father, and grandfather - neither of whom he has ANY relationship with, his father in prison for life and grandfather he has met 3 times, doesn’t want to be around him either. He identifies his stepfather as his father, when he says ‘my dad’ that is who he is referring to.

He was named with this namesake BEFORE his biological father kidnapped his sister and raped her many times over the course of a few weeks when she was 14 years old. He also kidnapped her friend.

Prior to that, he held the entire family hostage for 2 weeks and burned the house to the ground. He would be in prison and get out, and do more terrible things to my bf’s family, then go back - say in prison 10 years to get out and take his sister and rape her.

While in prison since then, he murdered his cell mate, ‘because he didn’t want a cell mate’.

I cannot fathom naming a child something with such a dark history, it feels like it would be such an identity crisis- and a slap in the face to his sister and mother to keep it going...plus I HATE pushing personal vanity and narcissism on a child to make them a ‘mini me’

I learned after I’d agreed to the terms of ‘you name girl/I name boy’ before I knew the extent of his blood father’s crimes, and after some pretty horrific fights and feeling far less certain that he would stick around forever, AND because he made fun of and said ‘That will never be my daughter’s name’ when he read a card I wrote him with the girl’s name I’d loved forever which he knew as long as we made that agreement.

So, I shot back that I’d never name my the same name as his dad’s, and that I was hyphenating last names anyway. (My brother committed suicide june 13, 2015, at 25 years old, and we were/are the last in the family with our surname, and it has gone extinct in Germany..my brother was the last male in the family- my aunt was brutally raped and murdered at 32 before having children, and other aunt adopted and had changed her own surname to a Jewish name because of her religion)

He is the ‘3rd and the 5th’ Of his name, the higher 2 had different middle names. His name is Don Allen C., but goes by ‘Donnie’. Personally, I cannot stand the name..I love him completely, but I am not a fan of the name to the point of carrying it on. I’d agreed to though, before we got pregnant - he thought he was sterile from losing ‘tap sack’ with his brother (I had no idea of the actual reason, only that he’d been in long relationships where his exes got pregnant right after they broke up - so the pregnancy while definitely not unwanted was a surprise.

Since I mentioned hyphenating which I absolutely will not budge on, especially if we don’t stay together, we are from different states, it seems like a bad idea - but he literally was crying about it and asked what about ‘Donnie’ - I don’t like the name and 2 Donnie’s would be confusing as F...I feel so alone in this sometimes like he only cares about it being a boy he can turn into a replica of himself that In my heart I don’t want to, but I said maybe -

I wanted to use my brother’s name as a middle name but a name I really liked as first name..something James ..I considered having it be Donnie and calling him something different, but I don’t think my Donnie would not still call him that. I cannot get him to even open his mind to think about this...I’d love to just pick a name together that isn’t his own!

I have been praying for a girl to avoid this but i need help figuring out what to do!

What would you all do?!

I grew up in a family that you have a son and he has to: carry on the family name. Everyone on my dads side is named after someone, boy or girl. On DHs family, it wasnt as forced but he has a name that's been carried on his moms side.

DS- has my dads middle name, grandpas first name but a variation. He has my maiden name because he would be the LAST male in the family to carry it on.
Dd1- dh picked her name. It has no connection to family. Her twin brother we lost is named after DHs father who passed but a variation
Dd2- dh picked her name. It's a variation of his family name and his dads variation name.
Dd3- I picked her name. She is named after my grandma as a variation and her middle name is my BFFs middle name

We have agreed if we have a boy, he will get DHs middle name and last name. Girls get whatever.

I would say find a variation.

I grew up in a family that you have a son and he has to: carry on the family name. Everyone on my dads side is named after someone, boy or girl. On DHs family, it wasnt as forced but he has a name that's been carried on his moms side.

DS- has my dads middle name, grandpas first name but a variation. He has my maiden name because he would be the LAST male in the family to carry it on.
Dd1- dh picked her name. It has no connection to family. Her twin brother we lost is named after DHs father who passed but a variation
Dd2- dh picked her name. It's a variation of his family name and his dads variation name.
Dd3- I picked her name. She is named after my grandma as a variation and her middle name is my BFFs middle name

We have agreed if we have a boy, he will get DHs middle name and last name. Girls get whatever.

I would say find a variation.

Thank you so much!!! This is very helpful- I really like that your son has your maiden name - how did you do surnames with your other kids? Also is DS’s surname only your maiden name or hyphenated? Did you personally change your name to you husband’s surname? I really like this idea and would be far more open to letting him take the first name if my last name were carried on as I am also the last of the family..but I’m unsure about for future children if one has my last name and I hyphenate or change it, etc. how did you do this? Thank you!! :)

I would be choosing a completely different name. I hope his father has hell in prison. (As the mother of an almost 14yo daughter I felt sick reading this)

I'm sorry.

For me personally I wouldnt have a name that could be linked anyway to this sick individual x

Honestly mama you are carrying this baby and will birth this baby. I would pick the names you love, write a list and let your partner choose one off the list.

I met a woman once who let her husband name her son and she hated the name. She hated saying it. He was 3 at the time. I remembered this well when I had my first

Thank you so much!!! This is very helpful- I really like that your son has your maiden name - how did you do surnames with your other kids? Also is DS’s surname only your maiden name or hyphenated? Did you personally change your name to you husband’s surname? I really like this idea and would be far more open to letting him take the first name if my last name were carried on as I am also the last of the family..but I’m unsure about for future children if one has my last name and I hyphenate or change it, etc. how did you do this? Thank you!! :)

I changed my name when I got married to my husband. All of of our girls share our last name. DS has my maiden name, not his dads last name or DHs.

I havent had any issues or problems carrying on a name or DS having a different last name. The only thing I wish I had done different was hyphenate DS two middle names. On paper work, they only acknowledge the first middle name, not the second. So instead of ABCD, they do ABD

I wouldn't name a son for the family tradition especially with such a sick individual as your SOs father. My husband comes from a long line of David's and he hated it. His dad's side calls him by his middle name which he doesn't care for.

My husband is the only one left that can carry his family name and my brother who died at 22 was the last to be able to carry out my family name. It hurt at first that our name wouldn't carry on but I'm not a fan of hyphenated last names. My husband actually suggested years ago that if we have a boy we give him my brother's middle name as our baby's middle name (which is also James).

I think it's very concerning that your SO would say he wouldn't love a girl. I hope he matures because he should love his child regardless of gender. I 100% understand gender disappointment but that is a stark contrast to not loving a child because of gender.

Sorry I wouldn’t have it .

I wouldn’t want my child’s name to be associated with him. Children always ask why you chose their name. I wouldn’t want to explain that to my child when the time came .

I’d either pick a name you like or use your brothers name and stand your ground. Surely your OH has to see this from your point of view !

I would be choosing a completely different name. I hope his father has hell in prison. (As the mother of an almost 14yo daughter I felt sick reading this)

I'm sorry.

For me personally I wouldnt have a name that could be linked anyway to this sick individual x

Sorry but I have to agree with your comments too !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->