Contractions- you might think I'm totally stupid!

Char.due.jan

Mummy to Luke
Reaction score
Okay so you may all think I'm stupid but I'm a first time mummy so I don't have a clue!

Ok first off, what do contractions actually feel like? Last night I was having tightening cramps that radiated to my back and tops of my thighs..some of them I couldn't speak through. But they stopped.

Second question- how do you time them? Is it from the start of pain to the end... But what if it's a constant pain for quite a while :/

As you can see I'm so confused! Help!!

Oh I am so glad someone has asked this question! I would love to no the answer as I have no idea either!

I will be watching this thread :D x

the best way that i can describe them is as strong period cramps some other people will probably have different experiences with them. you should time them from the beginning to the end of the pain. When i went into labour they were 5 mins apart i cant remember how long they lasted but i was only in labour for 3 hours :flower: Good luck girlies

now I'm going to sound even more dumb.... I never, ever get period cramps so how am I meant to no!! :dohh: Oh god! Lol.

I posted the same thing when I was in labour lol! Mine started off like period type cramps then got stronger. They sort of built up in a 'wave', getting very painful then easing off. They were always quite low down, which the midwife said weren't typical contractions but mine never actually changed into anything else and stayed at 5-7 mins apart until she was born.

My midwife says contractions start at the bottom of your bump and end at the top, like a wave going over your bump.

I guess they should last for the same amount of time roughly too, unless they are stepping up a gear, in which case they would probably be more frequent as well.

My experience was like someone putting an elastic band round my stomach, starting off gently, pulling it tighter then letting it out again. For me it was down the left side of my stomach only (like IBS cramps if any of you have had those?) but it varies very much from one woman to the next!

You time how long the contraction starts so from the second you feel the tightening til the second it stops and then how long you go between contractions too. Your mw should have told you how often they want contractions to be and how long they should last for before you call your birth unit or go in!

Proper contractions should take your breath away, if you can talk through it then chances are its Braxton Hicks not labour. Its not the same for everyone but thats the general rule of thumb I think.

Hope that helps but ask away if you want to know anything else :)

I didnt know I was in labour as a midwife told me I would get bh and tightness of bump. I have pain in hips and ass but started with ass and thought it was trapped wind all day till it got so bad and coming every few mins I went to hospital. Told me I had ages to fi and next think you know I didnt have time for anything and was screaming and off to labour suit.

My experience was like someone putting an elastic band round my stomach, starting off gently, pulling it tighter then letting it out again. For me it was down the left side of my stomach only (like IBS cramps if any of you have had those?) but it varies very much from one woman to the next!

You time how long the contraction starts so from the second you feel the tightening til the second it stops and then how long you go between contractions too. Your mw should have told you how often they want contractions to be and how long they should last for before you call your birth unit or go in!

Proper contractions should take your breath away, if you can talk through it then chances are its Braxton Hicks not labour. Its not the same for everyone but thats the general rule of thumb I think.

That's interesting because the other day I had this intense feeling that started on my left side and then over took my entire stomach. (This happened twice in 5 min, but then stopped) I was so taken a back by it that I was actually sick because of it. I didn't think it could be a contraction though because of that crazy intense feeling on the left side of my stomach. (I try NOT to use the word painful, haha) But now I see anything is possible!

i have always had labour pains in my lower back and hips, my labour pains wereto begin with a dull nagging pain that gradually got stronger. the length of the pain isnt whats important its the time between when the pain stops and starts again, six mins apart for me meant I was going into labour, though a few times it all stopped and then started again a few hours later.
Stay mobile and active walk around if you can(as this helps labour progress) and showers are a great pain relief especially as hot baths are not allowed yet.
Also a wheat sack is great applied to yr lower back and or hips.
Everyone is different but just before I go into labour (well last 3 times) I throw up:) pleasant not but a sign for me not to be ignored as each labour I have gone through has been quicker than the last as long as I am allowed to stay mobile.
The down side is that with my first i thought i was in labour every day for a fortnight before i had her, every twinge or pain and I thought she was coming.
Hope i helped big hug coming to you xx

That's interesting because the other day I had this intense feeling that started on my left side and then over took my entire stomach. (This happened twice in 5 min, but then stopped) I was so taken a back by it that I was actually sick because of it. I didn't think it could be a contraction though because of that crazy intense feeling on the left side of my stomach. (I try NOT to use the word painful, haha) But now I see anything is possible!

Well I was so convinced it was my ibs playing up that I didn't know I was in labour. It was my husband who had been sneakily timing the pains who decided we should ring the hospital and go get checked. The pains had started at 7.30pm, we went to the hospital at 10.30 and I was 4cm dilated and the mw was confident I should stay, I was so shocked I burst into tears and wanted my mum lol. My son was born at 2.30am :)

My contractions always start as a tightening period type pain. My whole bump goes hard and the pain sometimes radiates to top of my thighs. Now I know this is how braxton hicks feel, but when it's a true contraction, the pain gets stronger and stronger and the tightening gets worse and worse. Then after a peak, it all starts easing off and bump goes softer again.

You start to time them from from the beginning of the tightening, until it all gets soft again and pain disappears.

Some first time ladies on here will worry that they might not recognise them, but honestly, when they are true contractions, you will just know. They build up to a pattern and come regularly. And as time goes on the tightening and pain gets stronger and stronger.

I'm having a lot of strong braxton hicks, but the difference is, they last longer than normal contractions for me and the pain stays at the same level instead of increasing. Like a bad period cramp. They seem to take longer to tail off, where as with true contractions the pain seems to disappear between contractions, leaving just a dull ache.

with all my three past labours they have all been VERY differant...:wacko:
With my first i had a very painfull dull low back ack and nothing i did could take the pain or edge off it....
With my 2nd same back ack but also constant tummy cramps... was told it was a water infection but had her 5 hours later...
3rd i guess could discribe as tummy contractions and FUCK they hurt.... like another poster said felt like a TIGHT elastic band round me with Horrid pain all i could say was " FUCK " over and over and i really dont swear...:blush: hubby kept laughing said i was funny, that didnt help lol
But saying that with all of them the pain was bad was nothing i could think " oh ill be ok"

God knows this time but i know that what ever happens if its painfull ill know its the start....

what you are discribing sounds like a start of something....

Good luck babe

I thought you timed them from the beginning of one to the beginning of the next one, no? As well as timing how long they last. :huh:

yes whoops that is how you time the contractions! I didn't explain it very well! lol. You time how LONG each one lasts and the time difference between one and the next!

xx

I was induced so not sure if its the same, but it started with period pain back ache and then my waters broke very soon after the back ache began and they added pitocin - then it was just pain everywhere and I couldn't tell where it was coming from - I just knew it started out ok and then peaked and then gradually went away and that there was no ways I could talk during those contractions at all.

You'll know when it happens. I got painless tightenings every three minutes for about twelve hours. The bump would go rock hard! I knew there was something up. I rang the hospital and they said it was braxton hicks but I just knew it wasn't. I had an insanely strong urge to clean everything and I was tearful. For the next ten hours I had the regular tightenings but they came with waves of pain. Not very bad but enough that I couldn't sleep. Then they died down for about five hours with just the occasional sharp pain. Then the next five hours I had pains every three minutes and I was having to bite on a pillow at the peak. I went to the hospital at that point and was four centimeters and so they admitted me. Don't wait for them to get more painful than the pillow biting stage. You will find the trip very unpleasant with pains worse than that and your waters might go and they pour everywhere! I was in early labour for 30 hours but active labour lasted less than 4, so go in as soon as the pain becomes intense enough to surprise you. I could talk fine during these contractions though, so don't let the midwives fob you off with this talking through them business. Your bump will be telling you very clearly that it's up to something so listen to that and not them! My husband had to insist we went in. The midwife said I sounded ok but my husband spoke to her and said listen, I know my wife and she isn't ok!

I thought you timed them from the beginning of one to the beginning of the next one, no? As well as timing how long they last. :huh:

Oh, I thought it was from the end of one to the beginning of one to see how far apart they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->