Contractions- you might think I'm totally stupid!

Are the tightenings easy to feel?? Like if you put your hands on your bump will you feel it coming and easing off again??

And are they anything like when your baby moves and pushes out?? (obviously I get that that's not a contraction, but was just wondering if it feels similar)

Also does everyone get tightenings?? Or can the pain just be in your back and around your hips/pelvis??

My contractions started as sharp back pain, specifically in my lower back, then as they got stronger they felt like a sharp wave of pain althrough my bump and back.

For contractions I timed the start of the pain to the end to see how long they were lasting and the start of the first contraction to the start of the next one to find out how far apart they were

xXx

You will know when they are real contractions. I remember asking this question with my first and i actually went into hospital a couple of times with false alarms in the week leading upto birth.. but I definitely knew when it was the real thing!

They come in waves for me starting at the bottom of my bump going up to a peak then back down again. The early ones I just breathed through, but the more intense they get I couldnt talk through them or anything and I found if I didnt get control of my breathing from the very start of the contraction id lose it and panic by the time it hit the peak so breathing properly through them really does help.

I timed from the start of one contraction to the start of the next and from the very start of the pain to when it eases off for how long they are lasting :thumbup:

I have to admit with my first I was naive. When my contractions started I wasn't sure just knew they bloody hurt and I had to shut my eyes and concentrate when 1 came. It wasn't until they started getting stronger and closer together that I actually thought this is it.

The ladies who have already commented have hit the nail on the head describing what they feel like and for those of you worried about timing you could try contraction master (just google it) Hit the button when pain starts then again when it stops and it will do the rest of the timings for you :)

Hope this helps, good luck :thumbup:

Really appreciate all the replies ladies! I've downloaded a contraction timer app so hopefully that should help when the time comes. Ive just been having period cramps and backache today though they are very irregular.

Are the tightenings easy to feel?? Like if you put your hands on your bump will you feel it coming and easing off again??

And are they anything like when your baby moves and pushes out?? (obviously I get that that's not a contraction, but was just wondering if it feels similar)

Also does everyone get tightenings?? Or can the pain just be in your back and around your hips/pelvis??

My husband could feel my tightenings just by putting his hand on the bump. Honestly, it will be so obvious when it happens. No need to worry. You might not realise straight away when you're in very early labour but that doesn't matter. You'll realise with plenty of time to get everything sorted.

Okay I haven't read all the answers so maybe this has already been said.

With BH I noticed what I would describe as a tightening contraction, where the real deal (keep in mind mine came on suddenly as my water broke) just hurt and I didn't even take any notice as to whether or not my stomach was going hard as I didn't need to I COULD FEEL IT and it HURT - ever get a leg cramp in the middle of the night take that and times it by ten and put it in your stomach and that was just the beginning.

As for timing them you start from the beginning of one contraction to the start if the next.

So if you start a contraction that last for 1 min and then its another 4 mins until next contraction then they are 5 mins apart.

Also contraction come in waves....it starts and then gets worse and worse and worse and then hits a peak and then come down, down, down, down until its over they aren't constant pain.

I had constant on/off pain about two weeks before (and thought I was going into labour but how would I know? lol) but that was just the head moving down :p

Good luck and I hope it helps.

xx

Thank you for posting this thread and to all you ladies for your replies:flower:I am another first timer that wasn't sure about this and my midwife has never explained how to time contractions - has just said to do it!
That said,I should have asked her x

Thanks for the replies!
Its my due date today!! Nothing is happening except period pains and backache and I've got pain in the very tops of my thighs.

Thanks for the replies!
Its my due date today!! Nothing is happening except period pains and backache and I've got pain in the very tops of my thighs.

Might be a sign of things starting though....I just read my daily page in my book and it said that some women start of with a niggling pain... but it also said it may last for days... But at least it's something right?!

Thanks for the replies!

Might be a sign of things starting though....I just read my daily page in my book and it said that some women start of with a niggling pain... but it also said it may last for days... But at least it's something right?!

Hopefully! I won't mind if it lasts a couple of days just as long as he's here soon! At least I'm getting some signs which is better than nothing x

mine kind of felt like I had to poo really bad lol.
I could never time mine because I had back labor and it pretty much just hurt constantly...you'll know when you need to go in because it starts hurting more the more dilated you get

Okay so you may all think I'm stupid but I'm a first time mummy so I don't have a clue!

Ok first off, what do contractions actually feel like? Last night I was having tightening cramps that radiated to my back and tops of my thighs..some of them I couldn't speak through. But they stopped.

Second question- how do you time them? Is it from the start of pain to the end... But what if it's a constant pain for quite a while :/

As you can see I'm so confused! Help!!

your not stupid(unless we're both stupid lol) ,coz i dont know myself il be keeping an eye on this thread:)x

I too had back labour...never any stomach contractions! Felt like I was being stabbed in the back with hot knives. The pain did build and build till it hit a peak. You'll know ladies, believe me!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->