coping with dvt after birth.

joea

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone can help me but i got diagnosed with a dvt after my csection and im really struggling with the anxiety of this, doing the injections and trying to enjoy my beautiful baby girl. The blood thinners and previous trips to hospital have messed around with my breast milk and I seem to be getting constant headaches with it. I've also got a scar that seems to be weeping (midwife looked at it) and cant go on warfarin until its healed up.
I would be grateful if anyone could share a dvt experience as i keep getting told its very rare which makes me feel really quite alone and scared.

Hi,

I don't know if ill be much help but I've had 2 DVT's. One in 2009 and one last year, developed during pregnancy, it seems I'm more susceptible to developing them and its caused by hormones (specifically I had very high levels of oestrogen).

The first time I had a DVT I was on Warfarin for 8 months, compression stockings for 2 months, crutches for a week as my leg was too swollen to put pressure on it.
I was PETRIFIED, scared of it moving, scared of developing another one.

Last year I wasn't as worried for me, I was worried for DS in case it somehow harmed him (it didn't), I had to do a daily clexane injection from when I found out I had another clot to 6 weeks PP and will need to take clexane infections each time I'm pregnant as a preventative measure.

It IS scary but if you are doing everything you've been advised to, you honestly don't need to panic. Keep your leg elevated when resting, wear compression stockings (both legs), and make sure you're moving little and often as this will prevent another developing.
It's normal for one leg to remain slightly larger than the other and my "bad" leg still aches/swells slightly if I've been overactive but its very few and far between now.

For the first few months after my first DVT I was terrified and constantly looking for signs/symptoms, Now I know what to look for I'm less worried

Xx

You poor thing! No DVT advice I'm afraid but I did have a c-section and whilst not massively common DVT are a very real possibility - mainly because a woman's blood thickens slightly around labour, to reduce excessive blood loss. Your body didn't know it was getting a c-section and was just trying to keep you safe. It must be a horrid thing to go through when you've just brought your newborn home, but just try not to worry - follow all their advice and book in an appointment with your GP/midwife if you want to talk anything through.

Xx

I'm so sorry hun :hugs:, I had DVT at 2 weeks postpartum, which before it was diagnosed broke off and travelled to my lungs to cause a pulmonary embolism. I had the Clexane injections for a couple of weeks and am now on Warfarin until at least August.

I agree, it is really scary and I was really worried to begin with but as time has passed and I am more used to the regular monitoring and testing, I am becoming a lot calmer. I agree with everything Stacey_Ann said, follow the medics instructions, keep active, elevate your feet when resting, wear compression stockings, drink plenty of water and limit your vitamin K intake (green leafy vegetables).

When you start Warfarin you will be regularly monitored with INR tests so you have lots of opportunities to talk through your fears and anxieties with doctors/nurses and they can help put your mind at ease.

I know it's easy for me to say now, but it does get easier and you won't worry nearly so much. Please don't feel alone in this :hugs:

I didn't have dvt myself but LO's father had it which developed into a pulmonary embolism and I was by his side for the majority of it. It was scary at first but once it was under control we adjusted. The hardest part was work because they didn't understand why he had to take off days to go to the hospital.

He was very stupid about it though. He often skipped appointments or just stopped going at all. He stopped taking his medication without talking to a doctor and ended up back in the hospital. Then he took the medication but still didn't go to his appointments *shakes head*

Anyway I guess my point is that he was very stupid about it but he knew the signs and came out okay. I'm sure with you being smart about it an catching it in time, you'll be great. Use your doctors to discuss your fears!

thank you so much for your replies. I'm doing the elevation thing and taking a walk everyday but my docs and dvt nurses say i dont need compression stockings which im quite confused about. i have thrombophlebitis too which 'touch wood' seems to be getting less painful. I dont self inject yet as my wound is oozy and painful so i can't bring myself to do it yet. unfortunately thid means daily trips to hospital.

First DVT I was told I HAD to wear stockings, 2nd time I had to ask for them, confusing as they kept me in overnight and I wasn't even allowed to walk the few feet to the toilet, I ad to buzz for a nurse to take me in the wheelchair??! Lol

I insisted on wearing them though as they help with the blood flow and I was less mobile than I was the first time xx

think im going to ask again for stockings. everyone else seems to have been prescribed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->