Coping with IUI failures - Help appreciated!

Megan0625

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am 30 years old and my wife and I have been TTC for around a year (not necessarily consecutive months due to COVID). We did our first natural IUI (no meds) in March 2020 and got a BFN. We were absolutely devastated, and took time off because our clinic was actually closed for a while, and then our landlord sold our house and we frantically had to find a place to live. So needless to say, 2020 was not the right time for us. We did try an at-home ICI with donor sperm in January 2021 and February 2021. We had another consult with our doctor in February and scheduled my IUI for May. In May (our second IUI), we tried with clomid and I had 3 mature follicles, along with a trigger shot on May 23. I went in on May 24 for the IUI and honestly felt really positive about it. Unfortunately, we found out on June 7 that the IUI did not work and I have been absolutely devastated and have had a really tough time picking myself back up. Does anybody have any advice on how to cope with IUI failures? I have hope that third time's a charm, and it's only our second medicated cycle, so I'd really like to hear some success stories or some advice on how to move forward and mentally prepare for another cycle. Because this is so draining (emotionally, financially, and physically) and just harder than I would have ever imagined. Thanks for reading!

I am sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, IUI has low success rates, and the final result also depends on factors. Have you discussed other options with your doc, such as IVF that get higher success rates?

I am sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, IUI has low success rates, and the final result also depends on factors. Have you discussed other options with your doc, such as IVF that get higher success rates?
We've discussed a bit, but financially, it's not in the cards ($15-$18,000). Plus, there are no indicators that I have any fertility issues, so we wanted to give IUI a very solid effort. It's just very emotionally draining.

Im really sorry to hear, this journey is so hard. I went through 3 rounds of IUI with Clomid, and it almost broke me (mentally and emotionally). Basically I reacted super super poorly to Clomid (if I remember correctly, Clomid basically ups your hormone production and therefore some people get uber emotional on it, like me). My friend’s doctor put her on something else and I think she reacted better to it. Maybe that’s a possible alternative?

Separately, I believe IUI success rates are 8-9% with one follicle and 12-13% with multiple follicles. Which to me means that you may need multiple rounds before your BFP, even if everything goes well.

Again, big hugs to you. This process was one of the hardest things that I’ve went through, and Im so sorry that you have to go through it. Take care of yourself and Im sending you tons of baby dust!

Thank you so much for the kind response! Yes, I believe we will be trying Femara next time because Clomid also gave me some really nasty side effects and made me feel just generally miserable. I never realized how draining fertility treatments would be, but it has been the absolute hardest process I've been through. I'm hoping my next medicated cycle is a success, but it's honestly hard to get excited about it because I'm so afraid of being disappointed again.

Unfortunately, infertility is emotionally and financially draining. Good luck with your treatments. Fingers crossed everything will work out for you.

My 11 year old Ds reminds me often that there was only a 4% chance of me getting him - I was 40 when I conceived on my 3rd unmedicated iui - but I got him and statistics didn't come in to it when I was trying, the same as they don't when most couples fall pregnant naturally! Unless someone is actively trying for a baby people dont stop and count how many times they bd'd before they found out they were expecting, it's just fun until that point. Believe me, I know the frustration of needing assistance, the planning, waiting, expense - and the heart ache. But I also know the joy when it happens.
I know that clinics possibly think its early to double check if there could be any fertility issues, its usually 6 months of negative tests, but I wonder if it might be worth checking out a few things before you try to many more time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->