Cough = nearly puking - anyone else?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by SugarFairy, Jan 27, 2011.

1. SugarFairy

SugarFairy Well-Known Member

I can't think of the word - there's a sort of valve between your stomach and oesophagas that keep the food in your stomach once its down there. It being weak in pregnancy is what is causing all this heartburn we're having. Mine seems especially weak - in that every cough has the potential to become a heave. Its particularly bad in the morning - I'm struggling to brush my teeth in the mornings as it just makes me gag just having the toothbrush in my mouth. But it happens at other times too. I coughed in work and nearly threw up all over my desk a couple of days ago. I'm not nauseaus or feeling ill, but when I cough, I nearly throw up and have to sit calmly focusing on keeping everything where it should be! Its worse if I see something gross - my body involutarily coughs and heaves. I work in the city where there's a lot of clubs/pubs/etc and if I see puke on the street, it happens then. Or even just dog poop. Its really strange.
    Anyone else have this?

2. Geek

Geek Well-Known Member

I have this too especially when I'm brushing my teeth or when I see something gross. I also get it when I'm washing the pots, that really makes me gag :(
    I'm not sure if there is anything we can do about it, sorry I can't offer any advice.

3. lindseymw

lindseymw Mother of two boys

I get this, every time I start coughing I start feeling really sick. Sometimes I have had to run to the loo!

I have yet to find anything that helps!

4. hoping4babii

hoping4babii Bun in the oven - 3rd Tri

Struggling with this as well. Seems my gag reflex is super sensitive and causes me to throw up just because I'm coughing. Its gotten worse since I've gotten the the back end of a sinus infection and have a lot of drainage in the back of my throat. Not sure what to do to stop it either :(

5. SamiraNChris

SamiraNChris Hayden & expecting #2 :D

i have exactly this! im so glad you posted this i get it all the time! whenever im sick it starts witha bout of coughing and when im violently sick its mixed with a lot of coughing! but even when i need a quick cough it causes me to heave! its so annoying!!!!! i havent a clue what causes it but i wish it wudnt!!! x

6. Jess812

Jess812 Jacob & Connor <3

Yep!!! If i cough slightly hardish to clear my throat i end up borking loads an nearly been sick! :( So not good & i hope i do not get a cough! eek

7. becstar4

becstar4 New Mummy

Ahh were not alone!:).i got this tickly cough that somtimes causes me to wake up in the night an cough so much i could be sick,infact the1 night of the week my OH was able to stay over last week,i actually was! gutted.also can't do the dishes or empty the food bin,and the smell of fish an i have to run away!.x

8. mummySS

mummySS Mum of 2!

Yup i get the same thing hun, it's so horrible. I am still getting pretty bad morning (all day) sickness and the coughing often sets it off. I also get loads of phlegm which i have to spit down the sink otherwise i puke. Nice!

The only thing that helps is running to a window and getting a blast of fresh air, and sipping water.

9. DragonMummy

DragonMummy Well-Known Member

me too!!! my ms pretty much stopped at 16 weeks but i still have a very sensitive gag reflex and coughing, toothbrushing and mouthwashing can set me off again. :sick:

10. smurphy

smurphy Member

Im glad im not the only one - My hubby made me a fry up at the weekend and in the kitchen while clearing my plate I had a coughing fit and it all came back up again!!!

11. sophie22

sophie22 Well-Known Member

i only had this when i had a bad cold, even when the cough wasnt bad, it at times when my stomach was more tender, made me literally throw up. as the cough got worse it happened more. then just stopped, it was very weird. i didnt feel nausious, but after coughing i would suddenly get that uncontrolable watery feeling in my mouth and tongue feel funny, then throw up. very weird!

12. poplet

poplet Well-Known Member

I got this too, would cough then get pain deep in my stomach (this became a sure sign it was coming) then watery mouth and puke. Still get it occasionally even though I'm over my cold.

13. Lauraaraa

Lauraaraa Love My Baby Girl

i have a real bad chesty cough and was almost sick in my car yesterday whilst driving, was scary.

i also keep getting sick rising up, just feel lousy

but if i could gt rid of this cough i wud be ok

keep coughing up phlemm and what not.

and its causing me to lose my appetite

14. K123

K123 Mum to James!

So glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem! It's horrible. Tooth brushing makes it worse for me too.

15. lisaf

lisaf Super tired new mom

I do have to agree that the gag reflex is super sensitive! Stuff that used to just make me feel a little nauseous when not pregnant, or stuff that would make me gag now make me throw up. I haven't had coughing yet, but thanks for the heads up!! Because when I cough really bad, I do normally gag and wouldn't even think about the throw-up issue!
    Its like I get no warning anymore :nope: Its from 0-60 and next thing I know I'm throwing up :(

There was a strong skunk smell in front of my house a few weeks back... I puked on my front steps.
    Can't handle dog poop or cat puke either.

My only really weird thing is if I feel really nauseous, I sneeze... its too bizarre, lol.

16. sequeena

sequeena Winging it.

Yup I'm gagging now when I cough, brush my teeth etc. it's horrible :(

17. SugarFairy

SugarFairy Well-Known Member

Ladies thanks for replying. I'm so glad its not just me. Seems like we just gotta ride this out!

18. Eleanor ace

Eleanor ace Well-Known Member

I have this too. Was being sick A LOT until about 16 weeks and now, had a break until 18 weeks and now it's back :(. I have asthma and I keep coughing which = being sick. Not cool. But for me it's minimal, a few times a day and I've had a few days where I haven't actually been sick. Hope it subsides for you ladies!

19. eeeek

eeeek Well-Known Member

Ooooh - I had this too and had no idea it was this common - from about 16 weeks to 20 weeks, particularly in the morning, if I coughed I would spontaneously throw up without any warning. Got pretty embarrassing as one minute I'd be talking to my OH, or a colleague (or one one particularly bad occasion, waiting for my train on the platform), the next *cough cough* "Bleeeeuuuurrrrrgggghhhh". Literally no nausea or warning at all. Thankfully it went as quickly as it came, but in the last week or so I've found that a big burp or hiccup brings a similar, albeit much smaller, reaction. Now I just get a bit of bile in my mouth, but still pretty grim. Crikey, why does no one tell you about these side effects??

20. Libra Mariah

Libra Mariah Well-Known Member

The exact same thing is happening to me.