Couple of diy kitchen questions

hulahoop09

Mum to lg and pg #2
Reaction score
Hiya ladies

Okay so we have been in our house for almost 8 years. The previous owners painted the kitchen tiles (which span across near kitchen sink, windowsill and round past the hob and onto the third wall so quite a large area) a nice blue. Near the sink about5 of the bottom tiles chipped and peeled some so we now have a pretty teatowel off the windowsill covering them. We dont know what paint they used and isnt easy to find a same paint. We dont have the cash to get tiles replaced by professional and as they go up behind cupboards etc I would be worried about doing a diy job. Does anyone have any ideas/tips what we could do? Also is it possible for all tiles to be replaced by a professional quite easily and how expensive can it be?

Also the cupboards and drawers were painted magnolia by previous owner and have silver handles, again dont look too bad but now the paint is fading and they need need vamping up. Lol. Can we just repaint or do they need to be restripped etc first? Am gonna replace handles also.

Thank you :)

Xx

The only thing i can think of for your tiles without costing loads of money and work are tile transfers. You get some lovely designs and come in all different sizes. It might not cover all the chips but if you place them randomly on the tiles it will defo take your eyes off the chips. They are really cheap and it would be worth a try first, have a look online. They are also really easy to apply.

Yes as long as the paint is just fading and not chipped i would just paint over them. Just make sure and use the right type of paint.

Thanks hun. I will figure out what paint it is. I thought of tile transfers but there are that many tiles that I think it may look a little naff. The 5 that are peeled/chipped paint are behind the taps.

I would love to get the tiles redone but just not sure on cost etc and of its possible if we are not changing kitchen units etc. Lol.

Xx

can you not just buy tile paint and repaint them?

I cant find a matching tile paint lol. The chipped bit will always be obvious. Ive considered painting all the tiles again but apparantly to do that I would have to strip the whole lot first! Lol. Xx

Is the chipped ones just behind the sink? What about a splash back in a contrasting colour? The ones for behind your cooker come in all different colours and sizes.

hmm i wonder if you can get them to colour match tile paint? then you could just strip the ones that have peeled and repaint.

As for the cabinets maybe you could try repainting in an inconspicuous area and if the paint goes on well on top of the old paint just do that, if not then you may need to sand and prime before repainting! xx

The only thing i can think of for your tiles without costing loads of money and work are tile transfers. You get some lovely designs and come in all different sizes. It might not cover all the chips but if you place them randomly on the tiles it will defo take your eyes off the chips. They are really cheap and it would be worth a try first, have a look online. They are also really easy to apply.

Yes as long as the paint is just fading and not chipped i would just paint over them. Just make sure and use the right type of paint.

This is what I am doing in the bathroom as we cant afford to replace them and Studio had them on offer - think they still do.

Thanks ladies. I think kitchen is just awkward as I had considered some sort of splashback but as it is a small height from surface to windowsill i cant seem to find one. I had considered splashback tile sample also but apparantly they wouldnt hold for long as existing tile paint would peel!

Ive also looked into finding matching tile paint but no joy. They left paint behind for other rooms but just not the tile paint. Grrrrr. Lol. Doesnt help main place nearby for diy was focus but it has shut down and we dont drive so b&q etc is a no go except for online. Lol. Give up before ive syarted :D

Xx

I would just find a tile paint in roughly the same colour and paint the chips but I know my standards are pretty low when it comes to these things

Ive looked online and you get a full tile transfer why dont you just buy ten of them in your choice of colour and do two rows of 5 behind your sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->