Couponing?

NicoleLJ

Mom to 6 beautiful Kids
Reaction score
Does anyone else here do it? In December as many of you know finances for us were so tight that if it wasn't for the blessings of some kind people on the forums we would not have had a Christmas. Well close to the end of the month DH and I happened upon a show about people that do couponing. I was always taught it was a waste of time and that most stores now a days don't allow coupons. And that as a Canadian couponing doesn't happen very often because we have so few stores that allow it.

Well this show really opened our eyes. We watched as serious couponers went into a store and racked up over $700 in groceries but would leave with only a bill of $60. We were shocked. I have always bought things used, and hit sales but I had no idea that couponing could save so much money. So I started checking into it. I started going to sites and requesting coupons. Once we got a few we went out that first grocery trip and saved about $6. Not much but a start. This past trip we saved over $40. And the next one we stand to save even more.

I now spend time matching coupons to sales in the fliers. Just this past trip I was able to get my favorite brand of hair dye, that I normally pay $10 for, for only $3. This blew my mind. I even trade coupons I get that I don't use with people that need them that have extras of what I need.

So does anyone else do it? And if you are a Canadian are you up for a trade? lol

I saw a family that did this on an american show (think it was wife swap) once. I thought it was a bit bizzare, it was like their full time job. They didn't want to work so lived by couponing instead, as well as entering every single competition they ever saw, even if it wasn't something they wanted.
However it sounds like a very good way to cut your bills by alot and if needs a must, it seems like a good way to get ahead.

I like to have a good sized food storage. I had a good one when I first moved here over 2 1/2 years ago. We finally went through the last of it at the end of summer. If it wasn't for that food storage we would not have eaten as well as we did or had my favorite brands of shampoos and such since I could not afford them. I have be trying for the longest time to figure out how to fit my favorite things into our budget and couldn't do it till now. We were stuck using no name brands or the cheapest you could find. Now I have been starting to get my name brands agian at a cheaper cost then the no name brands thanks to the coupons.

We only buy the brands we use and the coupons we don't use we trade with others or join coupon trains to get more of the ones we want. There are no double coupon stores here but so far all the stores we shop at take coupons. Walmart is our favorite because not only do we get to use the coupons but on top of that we get my fiances discount since he works there so it really adds up for us.

We used cents off coupons, $1 off and $2 off ones. It seems like only a little bit but when you have a coupon for just about everything in your cart and you go to the cashier with $150 worth of groceries and walk out paying less then $110, that is $40 extra dollars in your pocket that you would not have had before without the coupons.

I don't find it a full time job. Usually about 2 hours a day when the coupons come in twice a week or so. And since I don't work it is something for me to do while DH is at work and helps cut our bills.

I saw a family that did this on an american show (think it was wife swap) once. I thought it was a bit bizzare, it was like their full time job. They didn't want to work so lived by couponing instead, as well as entering every single competition they ever saw, even if it wasn't something they wanted.
However it sounds like a very good way to cut your bills by alot and if needs a must, it seems like a good way to get ahead.

Yeah that was wife swap. They took the kids out collecting rubbish off the street for bottles etc with vouchers/compititions on them, and had a room full of stupid things they didn't even need/use.

It's a good way to save a little money, but IMO they were a bit extreme.

I'll use coupons on diapers (like when diapers go on sale, reg $21.99 for 46 Pampers, down to $15.99, and I usually have a $1-$3 off coupon on hand)

And I used them all the time on formula! Got my mum to sign up for them and signed up for them myself, traded with friends too. Nearly everytime I had to buy it, I had a $10 or $5 off coupon.

I rarely use them on groceries, unless I get a buy one get one free sort of thing, but I bought an Entertainment Book (was $20 and I've already used a $5 off grocery coupon so it's like I spent $15 on it, I have 3 more $5 off ones and 2 $10 off grocery coupons too). For the grocery ones you have to spend over $50 for the $5 off and over $100 for the $10 off.. and can't use any other coupons with them.. but they make a difference! If I want a treat but don't want to "pay for it" I use them lol.

They quite often have $5 off $50 or more purchase in Metro & Food Basics flyers, Wobbles & SC run another forum you can find coupons on sometimes and Red Flag Deals is good for savings of any size. My friend got a brand new Saturn a couple of years ago for $10,000 cash. My cousins have gone to concerts with $1 tickets off it. Save.ca too!

I just don't think coupons are a big thing here. You occasionally get one in the mailbox or on an email but the grocery stores don't have them in their weekly advertising we receive.

I don't tend to use them as the shops' own brand is usually cheaper anyway

i sometime use them if i get good ones pampers were giving away £2 off wipes and my chemist had 4 packets for £3 so i got 4 packets for £1 :)

I've been doing a lot lately and we've saved a TON of money. I've always used coupons but I've been following a website that lists all the deals for the week. I'll match up coupons with the good deals. Two shopping trips totaling $218 I only spent $55. Another was $20.12 before coupons I paid $5.48 after. I'm not like those crazy women (actualy the website I use is thekrazycouponlady.com but I'm not sure how much it would help you in Canada) Some of these women buy hundreds of the same item and stockpile. I think it's more like hoarding! Lol I'll buy like 5 or 6 of something but that's it. One lady the other day was bragging about how she bought 35 bottles of laundry detergent and only paid $13. 35 bottles?!? Is that REALLY necessary?!? Lol

I love coupons! I don't spend much time on them, but once a month I'll buy an "All You" magazine and clip the good ones, or I go through the Sunday newspapers when I get one. I have some coupons mailed to me too, for products that I use a lot or shops that I go to often.

I don't buy things that I don't need just because I have a coupon or buy a million of something that's on sale, but it's really nice to save money on something you're going to buy anyway! :)

I don't think coupons are as commonplace in the UK.
I get some from thee nappy companies which I use regularly.
I always have coupons in my bag but forget to use them. Every so often I have a big clear out of all the outdated ones!

I always keep an eye out in mags and papers for them, or if I know Im going somewhere will check online e.g. if I know I'm going to have a mac ds or burger king I always print off the vouchers on line first etc.

dont think we get many here :? i get boots coupons for nappies etc , half price day out tickets but that about it x

I am in the UK and I do couponing sometimes. I went to sainsburys last week, spent £27..then as some items had money off it went down to £22, then I used coupons and got it down to £6 odd.The cashier was rather impressed lol.
The next day I went back, got three tins of spam and 3 bags of birds eye rice fusions for the grand total of nothing lol..
It can be done in the UK..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->