covid tests and vaccines

Twinki.930

Reaction score
Hello ladies
I currently work in a nursing home and ever sense COVID started we’ve been wearing PPE ,but recently they took away our PPE away because our building no longer has COVID patients . While it’s great that we don’t have any current residents ,I still think PPE should be required because we get new residents in almost everyday and they get tested here. even if they leave the next day we’re all still exposed it ,we get weekly COVID test and are required to still wear masks . my question for you ladies is should I as an employee benefit from from getting the COVID vaccine? Knowing there’s not much data in it.

I’d talk to your PCP about this (or if you know someone in infectious disease, public health, chemist, pharmacist, etc)- rather than people on the internet who aren’t professionals doing their own “research”. I spoke to my OB, PCP, a few doc and nurse friends I know in different fields, and a friend who studied chemistry and pharmacy to help make my decision.

I have to agree. I understand wanting to gather as much information for as many sources as possible, but we live in a world of misinformation and disinformation. Like pp said, definitely reach out to your health care team to make that decision.

I don't even know if it's worth giving my opinion because my situation is so drastically different and plays so hugely into my personal choice. What works for me may not apply to you.

Sorry :( It's a tough call though. Just have to trust your gut. Don't let anybody pressure you one way or the other.

I’ll keep that in mind ,I’ve been positive for covid already ,and my son and family were exposed to it ,so I don’t see the reason to get the vaccine. But I’ll post an update after I call my PCP ,hopefully she has some insight on what would benefit me and my family .

I called our local health department and they told me that during the three months after having the virus our bodies already carry antibodies ,after the three months we’re just as Likely to get it again . Ultimately it’s up us whether or not we want to get the vaccine. The first round of vaccines will go to first responders and depending on the employers nursing homes and the elderly will have access to the vaccine. Based on the rumors I’ve heard at work it will probably be a requirement to continue working there ,so I’ll probably end up taking the vaccine only because I can’t afford to lose my job at the moment.

That's true. I remember reading that. But I also read that people's bodies process the virus/antibodies differently. So some people have been observed to have antibodies for up to 4 months after while others don't have any after a week. That's interesting that they may make it a requirement. It would take the guesswork out of having to make that choice for yourself, if you are comfortable with that.

I am sorry though. I know all of this is stressful and they expect decisions to be made so quickly.

And then I read people have antibodies and T cells immunity for upto 6 months after having the virus . So I do think it’s very much down to how we as individuals deal with having and recovering from the virus .

DD had covid in September so we have all been fully exposed to it too and they say your unlikely to catch it again I also read this online ! It’s so confusing and conflicting advice /information . We are still very much learning about covid

I do feel for you though bad my mum is a carer and will also face the same issue soon .

All anyone can do is make the decision for themselves and their own families whether they get the vaccine or not . Such a hard choice . I wish you all the best xx

I think I will take the vaccine, everyone in my home has had some kind of symptom whether it was fever or loss of smell. I will however wait to vaccinate Ds and see what his pediatrician recommends. Ds doesn't have any underlying conditions and has only had a stubborn cough when he was a baby . In the past eighteen and a half months he’s only been sick once . Thank you ladies for all your input :flower:

I would be wary of the vaccine at the moment as there's no way enough testing has been carried out on it. They would usually carry out human trials for longer as far as I'm aware but because obviously everyone's in a flap, which is understandable, it's been churned out without enough. We don't know what potential side effects are, how long it would be effective for etc. so I don't feel as though we can make a properly informed choice.
I'm sure there will be plenty who will say its perfectly safe, but my personal opinion is it needs to be around for longer.
I don't think it's fair for employers to say vaccine or your job. Although at the same time, for a vaccine we should have confidence in and not one that is under researched and under trialled, I can understand their point

Yeah also they have strongly (cdc and my local dept of health) Against vaccines for people 17 or younger. It may not even be allowed. They didn’t test on children, so they can’t verify it’s even safe for them

Yeah also they have strongly (cdc and my local dept of health) Against vaccines for people 17 or younger. It may not even be allowed. They didn’t test on children, so they can’t verify it’s even safe for them
I was wondering about children and the vaccine haven’t seen much online about it.

I was wondering that. I'm not sure if they're allowed to have it or if it's just for adults.

Maybe because of any potential side effects down the line ?

We seem really slow at rolling out the vaccine unless I am just not upto date with things. .

I know that here in Canada, they are not vaccinating pregnant ladies and children because they were not part of the studies, and so, they can't say if it's safe for them or not. (at least in my province, but from what I understood, it seems to be applied to Canada as a whole).

Not sure how it's applied elsewhere in the world!

No kids or pregnant women here either in the US. They’re even saying no Covid shots for breastfeeding moms but I’m sure all of this is just pending further studies. The most at-risk adults will be able to get it sooner which will hopefully bring some level of normalcy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->