• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Cows Milk allergy...anyone else?

mommatoabeaut

Momma of 3
Reaction score
My son is 6 weeks old. And has just been diagnosed with a cows milk allergy. After treatment for colic and reflux.
He started his new hypoallergenic milk today.. How long after starting it did your little ones symptoms improve?

I’ve heard it can take upto six weeks . DD2 is also allergic to cows milk although hers went undiagnosed until she was 11 months.

I’m glad you’ve got some hypoallergenic milk for him ! Hope you see an improvement soon , good luck xx

My second baby had a cows milk allergy it only took a few days for us to see improvement altho it can take a few weeks like pp said .
Hope things get better for you Quickly my son went undiagnosed u till he was 5 months he could eat dairy by the time he was 1 but couldn’t drink cows milk until he was 2 .. he’s fine now. x

My dd improved quite quickly but she was at the point of dropping g down centiles and refusing milk. She had slightly atypical symptoms so didn’t get diagnosed until she was 4ish months old.

Can I be cheeky and ask what symptoms your LO had?

I'm in the process of keeping a logged diary of when my DS feeds. I've mentioned some issues hes having to the midwife when she came at 10 days but have been told to see how things go and mention it at our 6 week check if nothings changed.

Some of his symptoms are exactly like CMA and reflux so just wanted to get a general idea.

DS2 has a cows milk protein allergy and is on Pepti Jr. I think he started improving within 2-3 days.. Before the Pepti Jr, he would squirm and fuss during feeding, would start to cry after about 60-80ml, and then would continue to cry/fuss after the feed, even when he was content beforehand.

The crying and fussing definitely disappeared quite quickly. My sons pediatrician did say that it would take 4-6 weeks for all the milk protein to completely leave his system tho.

Hang in there mumma!:flower:

To the poster asking about symptoms: My 3 month old has cow's milk protein allergy. He was diagnosed at 6 weeks after having blood and mucus in his stool. His poo also went a really sick green colour that I've never seen in either of my two older kids. He's EBF so I had to give up all dairy and I noticed his poop starting to improve after 3 days. He is also a very pukey little man and was very gassy and fussy before I changed my diet. As it's a delayed reaction if I happen to ingest some dairy it takes a few days to show up as bad poop.

Twink the symptoms DD had/gets

Patch of Eczema flare up. Same spot every time
Hives
Rash (moreso as newborn)
Mucus in stools ( only ever seen blood once or twice at most )
Reflux
A lot more throw back of milk than you would normally expect.

Gps in my expierence always go down the reflux route first before exploring any possible allergies. If you ladies are still not happy ask for a referral to a dietician / pead .

This is my 3rd baby with a cow’s milk allergy. Breastfed all of them. So I cut out dairy completely from my diet, anything containing milk even like buns or baked goods etc.

I cut it out when she was 1 week old and by 3.5 weeks she had improved. With formula I’d assume it would improve quite a bit quicker?

Thank you for replying, I'm literally at a loss at the moment and have been back and forth to the doctors already.

I'm sure they think I'm over exaggerating haha.

I initially went when he was 3 weeks due to; back arching, stiffness, screaming and squirming after feeds, vomiting (although this was a huge concern), snotty sounding nose, wheezing, grimacing and toilet issues.

Was told it was reflux and sent away with Gaviscon which didn't help so I moved him onto Aptamil anti reflux milk as advised by the doctor. His toilet issues grew progressively worse and while I've mentioned on countless time since he has been born to numerous health professionals that his stools are hard, they became worse which has led to him bleeding.

Cue prescription for lactulose which we did for 5 days with no joy of softening and more screaming episodes. I then got him weighed yesterday and the health visitor actually rang my doctors to get him an emergency appointment as she didn't like the look of his tummy. We was given movicol and told to give him 1 sachet (he's 5wks and struggles to drink water without choking so literally been spoon fed it!) And it's still not worked!! :(

Surely it's something causing it! From about 2 weeks old I've had the back of my mind a milk allergy and when researching he ticks numerous boxes. Back to the doctors tomorrow for a review of the movicol which has been a let down, I'm hoping for a referral.

Thank you for your insights, I'm just clutching on for hope that we get to the bottom of it.

That’s awful. I’m so sorry. I hope you find the problem and solution soon now :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"