Cows milk at 11 months?

Celesse

Reaction score
I go back to work as LO turns 11 months and will be away from her for every morning 5 days a week. During this time she usually has one feed (BF), but sometimes doesn't bother if she's busy. She takes water and juice from a sippy cup but when I tried to give her formula she gave it major yucky face and refused to drink it. I don't want to express as she tends to waste about half of what she drinks as she can't lift the cup up enough/uses it as a drum/ spills it/ wont let anyone help.

Would 1 cup of cows milk a day at 11 months be a problem? Or would it be ok to keep her just on water and juice in the morning and BF her as soon as I pick her up?

(In baby club as it would be nice to hear from BFs, FFs and people who where BFing and have now stopped)

I plan to introduce one cup of cows milk a day when Connor is 11 months. His doctor said it was fine to start at 11 months.

There was an article in the newspaper the other day where I live, and then brought up on the news from a doctor, stating that cows milk should only be given at 12 months or later due to possible intolerance and allergies later in life.

I personally didn't plan on giving LO milk before 12 months anyways.

I went back to work and just slowly transitioned her from BF to FF in 1.5 months. I give FF from a bottle, not sippy cups. There are also no spill cups (like literally no spill, no matter how hard she bangs them). You will be SOOO close to one year, I would just express for a couple weeks and top off with formula or juice and just start transitioning on cow's milk around that time. Girls who have already transitioned to cow's milk said that sometimes it doesn't work and they needed to hold off for a month or two, and also told me when I start to try this in the morning first, so if something goes wrong, you're not up all night.

Im really interested in the replies to this too as I go back to work, full time, in 6 weeks. Shift work too so need to stop BF. My little one will be 11 months and my mum who is a health visitor said that introducing 1 cows milk feed a day from 11 months, or even 10 1/2 will be fine. xx

I put my DD on full fat cows milk in non spill beakers from 11 months and she hasn't got any allergies or intolerances at all. I used cows milk in all my cooking from 6 months too. My mum put my sister on to cows milk from 6 months as the progress milk made her ill and she was guzzling too much Formula, this was on doctors advice tho.

I began using cow's milk in DS's food from 8/9 mos and also read that it's fine to give if no more than 3 cups a day. Around 11 mos I began to give it in his sippy at lunch time with his sandwiches, but only 3 oz at a time in case he didn't drink it all.

DS is now 13 mos and still BF as well, but I have also returned to work, so I BF in the morning before we leave...he has water most of the day in his sippy, then a bit of cold cow's milk (he's okay with it straight from the fridge)...and I BF again when I return home and then once more before he goes to bed.

One thing you will have to look out for is the poos as cow's milk is quite binding and can lead to constipation issues...which is why he still gets a fair bit of water.

I was told it's ok as a drink at 11 months if necessary, and fine for food purposes from 6months

It's ok to introduce cow milk as a drink at 11 months. We started at 11.5 months by mixing it with his formula.

Dean is one year but 10mos corrected, not sure if it's the same but his dr. said its juts fine to try milk. Dean won't drink it but we try a few sips a day.

I pumped for a about a week (i work mornings too) but he didn't like the ebm either so rather than watch the ebm go down the drain we diecided to switch to cow's milk.

From what I understand allergies down the road are no longer a concern especially if you are gving cheese and yogurt. Dr's don't believe now that holding off on giving any food in particular will will reduce the risk of allergy any time in the future. The issue with cows milk is that it can cause micro tearing in the gut and cause internal bleeding before 12months when they believe the gut is mature enough to handle the milk.

This is why dr. says it's ok becasue Dean has been eating since day 1 and so has prehaps matured to that point.

I believe that a baby needs about a pint of milk a day after 1 year.... If you are already giving Lo dairy foods then there's no need to worry about allergy with one glass of cows milk. I plan to introduce half cows milk half formula at about 11.5 months. So no, I wouldn't think one glass a day at 11 months would do any harm as long as LO is still getting the extra vitamins by having some BM or formula during the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->