• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Cows milk at 8 months.. Horrible idea?

Louiseandbump

Mommy to Lilly Louise :)
Reaction score
I'm going out for a few hours tonight and my mom is having dd. I do have milk in the freezer but mine has that thing where it goes all soapy, pretty sure I have a few feeds that I've scalded in there somewhere but was wondering If she could have a bottle of warmed cows milk. she has it with her food like cereal and in with whatever I'm cooking. I rarely am away from her so it would be a one off. If i do leave her she struggles with a bottle but I know she loves cows milk and she's had the odd drink of it from a cup so I know she is ok with it. Hate the thought of her drinking soapy breast milk and getting upset for ages when she has a feed around 11:30pm. Sorry if this is long, is this a horrible idea? Don't want to do her any harm. Thanks ladies. :flower:

I wouldn't, most experts say not to even give your baby cow's milk until they are at least 11.5 months old and alot of others say wait until after the baby is a year old. I personally would never give my babies cows milk before they are 12 months old.There is just no reason to do so.The allergies that can come along with starting cows milk too early are just not worth it... Sorry to be negative in anyway and I hope this helps you.

Thanks, do you not even use it in cooking then? I've had a big read online and all the research does say a year before they can have it as a drink.

Thanks, do you not even use it in cooking then? I've had a big read online and all the research does say a year before they can have it as a drink.

No, I use rice, almond or soy milk.. i hardly use cow's milk for anything nowadays and hardly keep it in the house.

No, its probably not a good idea. For a while it was recommended for only 9 months up, but they recently changed that to 12 months, because it was causing problems in those younger than 12 months. Does she not like the taste of your breastmilk with the soapy flavor? I know some babies dont mind the taste. Its still perfectly healthy to give her its just the flavor thats off. If thats not an option then get formula.

In the UK guidelines say you can use it after 6 months, but not as the main drink until after 12 months.

I would personally rather give one drink of cows milk as opposed to formula if breastmilk wasn't available for one feed/drink, especially if you've already been giving cows milk.

As far as I understand the reason for not giving them anything but breastmilk or formula as main drink before 1 year is because the fat content and maybe iron content aren't as high in cow's milk so not ideal for bubs. But for a one off drink, and especially if you're already giving her cows milk on cereal and in cooking (so you know she isn't allergic to it) then I really don't see how it can do any harm!

Found this on Kellymom:

Cow's milk is more specific to a baby cow than a baby human. Cow's milk formula is based on cow's milk but has been engineered to be closer to human milk (still a ways off, but closer). Many infants still have problems with cow's milk formula (allergies, GI problems, etc.). Babies who are exposed to cow's milk before their first birthday are more likely to be anemic, have diarrhea or vomiting, and/or experience an allergic reaction (the proteins in milk are more numerous than those in other milk products, such as the yogurt). The excessive protein load in cow's milk can also overload a baby's kidneys. It is deficient in vitamins C, E, and copper. It is harder to digest as well, often causing intestinal blood loss. A number of studies have also indicated that early introduction of cow's milk may contribute to the development of Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus.

Others see no problem with starting cow's milk toward the end of the first year unless there is a family history of allergy to it. Dr. Jack Newman, a renowned expert in the lactation field, is one of these. See the "Breastmilk, cow's milk, formula, outside work and bottles" section of his article Breastfeeding and Other Foods. Notice that he qualifies this advice with the importance of the baby being well-established on a variety of solids and continuing to be breastfed (both of which should help make up for what cow's milk can't offer at this age). He also suggests that supplemental milk of any kind is not all that necessary if the baby is allowed to nurse frequently when with mom. He suggests offering the baby solid foods with some water or small amounts of juice instead.

If its as a one off I'd think it would be ok but if it was to be a frequent thing or several times in one day I would give formula (if EBM wasn't possible) instead. One 200ml cup of cows milk has just under 1/4 of a baby under 1's salt allowance after all xx

It's interesting how the advice varies across the pond....in the UK the NHS endorses using cows milk on cereal, in cooking etc from 6 months.

It's interesting how the advice varies across the pond....in the UK the NHS endorses using cows milk on cereal, in cooking etc from 6 months.

I would think though this is because cooking milk alters the protein to an extent making it easier to digest; also unless your baby's cereal is drowning in milk, or you're giving huge portions of pasta and cheese sauce for example; they are not likely to be having more than around 30ml-60ml and then probably not more than once a day xx

I would think though this is because cooking milk alters the protein to an extent making it easier to digest; also unless your baby's cereal is drowning in milk, or you're giving huge portions of pasta and cheese sauce for example; they are not likely to be having more than around 30ml-60ml and then probably not more than once a day xx

I think that's true! I'm allergic to cows milk because of the proteins in it(same reason babies would get an allergy to it). But I do perfectly fine when it's in dishes. Also cheese and yogurt are fine for me because the process breaks down the proteins. I just cant drink straight cows milk

I just searched out one of my scalded bottles in the end, didnt want to take a chance as shes had a few sips to drink and in with her food but never more then say an ounce at a time. She'd probably drink at least 5oz from a bottle so didnt wana risk it.

She will drink the soapy ones but needs lots of encouragement with it.
When i give her fresh or scalded EBM she guzzles it :)

Thanks for all your replies ladies :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"