Crab cakes?

VanderBaby

Reaction score
Sorry I am new to this after so long - are crab cakes okay or these are a no no?

Crab cakes are fine. Shellfish and bottom feeders are find during pregnancy. The concerns, as my doctor explained, are with mercury and undercooked fish. She said the larger the fish - the more mercury. Crab, shrimp, calamari, mussels and all that is fine as long as it's properly cooked.

I've been eating crab cakes and craving oysters (fried, not raw). So far so good. My doctor told me to especially stay away from predatory fish

Rei - you're absolutely right. That's what mine said too. Predatory fish eat other fish and that causes them to have more mercury.

so is tuna salad bad to eat as well?

My Dr years ago with my girls said limit tuna to once a week.

Okay I just feel like between pregnancy restrictions and my nausea, I'm so limited as to what I can eat. Right now I can't stand the thought of meat. It's brutal. I'm living on carbs which is not good. It's really tough right now.

Okay I just feel like between pregnancy restrictions and my nausea, I'm so limited as to what I can eat. Right now I can't stand the thought of meat. It's brutal. I'm living on carbs which is not good. It's really tough right now.

With my first daughter over 14 years ago I had morning sickness so bad I couldn't even talk without dry heaving. All I could stomach was almonds, green peppers, apple sauce, fruit cocktail and digestive cookies. Really that was it and sometimes I could stomach a cold cut sub. I had a healthy 8 pound baby ;)

I was sick the entire 9 months.....oh and I had almonds and saltines too. My diet was pitiful but I ate what I could keep down. It will be okay mama!

wow I WISH I could eat cold cuts...everything I read says to stay away from it because of listeria. Clearly that wasn't a problem for you since you had a beautiful healthy little one.

Were you aware of the listeria thing?

My doctor said that in her 30 years of experience listeria contributed to one miscarriage. Every so often there is a listeria outbreak in something... Lettuce, cold cuts, fruit... She says be careful but don't go manic.

If you're worried about your cold cuts - heat them up in microwave.

Tuna should be limited to once a week.

I hear you on the limitations. I haven't struggled with ms but food aversions were very strong especially early on. I'm just now reintroducing chicken into my diet very slowly. I pretty much lived on carbs for the first 11 weeks...

This was me at your stage. I feel a million times better now, hopefully you will too xoxo

good to know!

How are you girls feeling?

I just stay away from raw or under cooked seafood. Sushi is still on the table as long as it's all the cooked kind! And no shark, swordfish, tilefish, or king mackerel. Out of those I only normally eat mackerel anyway and it's almost always Spanish.

I was SO CAREFUL during my first pregnancy. Counting how many servings of tuna I had per week. Not eating cold cuts, caffeine only once per week. I looked up every single food and drink item that I might possibly question. With this pregnancy, LOL. Give me all the food!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->