Cracked and sore

moggy

Reaction score
I had a beautiful baby girl called Ava on the 30th March, she weighed 9lb 4oz and unfortunately although planning for a homebirth I has 'failure to progress' and had to have an emergency c section!!

I have been trying to breastfeed, quite successfully for Ava as she has put on weight and is thriving, but I am really sore, engorged and have cracked nipples. My milk only came in properly about 48 hours ago, I'm sure the latch is now fine although she is heavy and a little wriggler and difficult to position, it is getting me down and I just wondered if any of you ladies could give me any advice to make this a bit easier! Lansinoh is my best bud but I can't get to the support groups as I'm still resting up from the op, my midwife says everything is fine but really does it hurt this much at the beginning???:cry:

sometimes when my little guy - who was also born on the 30th - latches, it hurts REALLY bad. like so badly i almost want to tear him off the boob!
i just cringe through the pain knowing it'll get better soon!

good luck!

Hi hun, I've been chatting with you on facebook, but thought I'd reply here too! I remember the pain of engorgement well. Agony! Have you tried cabbage leaves? It has to be proper green cabbage. Make sure it is well chilled and pop a leaf down each bra cup. I swear it works wonders. Not sure why, but it does! Also, try a warm bath and gently squeeze your boobs together. Don't get too much out, just enugh to ease the pain, otherwise yuor boobs will just produce even more! Do you have any brest pads? If so, soak them in water, then pop them in the fridge. When they are cooled, stick them in your bra. Voila! A free cool pack!
Hope you feel better soon babes. It does ease eventually. Just grit your teeth and think of the good times!

The first few days of breastfeeding, it hurt like mad! I was actually feeding and crying at the same time. My nipples were cracked and so sore. But then I started rubbing the breast milk on the nipples after each feed and I swear in 2-3 days my nipples totally healed! I've also been working on latching and basically (although some "experts" will say not to do this) I hold baby's head and push him on the boob to make sure he gets a mouth full. Now we have no trouble and it doesn't hurt anymore.
PS. I've also recently heard about the cabbage leaves and was about to try it but don't need to anymore.

hi hun Breastfeeding can be really painful l have fed all of mine, Have you

tired to reposition your baby it can help sometimes..sometimes seeing it

through is the only way even if your nipples are cracked and sore.

Lanisoh is great it really works...just take nice deep breaths before the latch on

then try not to tense up...it will only last for a short time, keep up the good

work hun your doing great...:hugs:

I'm also suffering from this, it doesn't help when mum stands behind me and goes "don't wince! Breathe!" lol

Thanks for all the advice I have tried everything, unfortunately I now have mastitis and the Dr also thinks thrush!! Deep joy! I am in so much pain and its making me so down that we are switching to ff. I feel guilty and a rotten mother but I can't see another way. I wish it was different but if I'm upset whilst feeding my baby I don't think its very good for her, bless her.

Thanks for all the advice I have tried everything, unfortunately I now have mastitis and the Dr also thinks thrush!! Deep joy! I am in so much pain and its making me so down that we are switching to ff. I feel guilty and a rotten mother but I can't see another way. I wish it was different but if I'm upset whilst feeding my baby I don't think its very good for her, bless her.

oh hun..l fed my daughter whilst l had mastitis it does help to relieve it..you

can take paracetomol as well, it will clear in a few days it is very uncomfortable

but extremely common..:hugs:

ive been really sore due to baby having tounge tie. mw has given me some nipple shields to try

Mands, don't you dare feel guilty about this. You have been dealt some shit cards, with mastitis AND thrush. You do what you need to do to keep you both healthy and sane! At the end of the day, you tried and no-one can take that away from you. Enjoy your ff, you still get an amazing bond. Try to look at the up sides - you won't be tied to the sofa, Mark can join in, you'll be able to go on nights out once you feel up to it (I still haven't been on a night out and Oliver is over 5 months old!). Just go with the flow babes. With formula these days, they still what they need. Please don't beat ourself up about it, if that is the decision you have made. Is it final? Have you made the transision already?:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->