cranial osteopathy

Mrsturner

Reaction score
My little boy was born a week ago with forceps and this has caused facial palsy which is where his nerves were slightly damaged from the pressure. It has left him with a droopy bottom lip, which isnt very noticable.

My midwife has recommended i see a cranial osteopath to do whatever they do and aid his palsy to heal quicker. She said the younger i do this, the easier it is to fix.

Has anyone had any experience with this? It isnt offered on the NHS, so i have to pay privately for it. Is it worth it? My midwife says its brilliant and they can manipulate the baby's back also to aid with feeding etc.

My little boy was born a week ago with forceps and this has caused facial palsy which is where his nerves were slightly damaged from the pressure. It has left him with a droopy bottom lip, which isnt very noticable.

My midwife has recommended i see a cranial osteopath to do whatever they do and aid his palsy to heal quicker. She said the younger i do this, the easier it is to fix.

Has anyone had any experience with this? It isnt offered on the NHS, so i have to pay privately for it. Is it worth it? My midwife says its brilliant and they can manipulate the baby's back also to aid with feeding etc.

if it was an "mistake" made by the NHS I would try my very hardest to get it sorted by the NHS can you make and appointment with your GP and discuss it with them xx

Personally I found Cranial Oesteopathy a waste of time and money (i had four sessions with a reflux c-section baby). However, if you are a think alternative therapies could work, then give it a go. Personally I would go down the typical medical route first.

Oh and I edit to say that I have nothing against it, my best friend is an oesteopath!

Im taking my lo at the moment-she didnt have anything particular but my friend is an osteopath and so is his father and he advised me to take her anyway when she was born as they can often have small abnormalities or imbalances just from the birth. Its very gentle they just put their hands on the head and he last week on her hip. She is very quiet for most of it but gets bored at the end and kicks off a bit-the osteopath is well used to it and it doesnt bother him at all!
I know that a friend took her lo to a place specially for babies in London so mayb you have that near yoy too? She found the results wonderful not just physical but behavioural too.

Oliver was born by ventouse and his head was misshapen when he was born, although it has gone back to normal looking he arches his head back alot and struggles to move his head from side to side. Someone suggested seeing a cranial thingymijig and i happened to go this morning. He said that alot of the bones in his skull were squashed together. Oliver has always had a ridge in the back of his head but when I got home I noticed that it has gone, the man has actually managed to manipulate it back into shape and the back of his head is smooth. Im going again next week so we'll see how it goes but after one session Im impressed.

To be honest, Oliver is behind with many milestones and is weak with various things so I am willing to try anything that may help but I am very glad I did.

My Lo always turned his head to one side and was beginning to get a flat spot, 3 trips to the Osteopath and he moves his head freely both ways now, he also had bad hiccups as she said his diaphragm was twisted during birth and they've gone too x

Thats what Im hoping for, thanks for posting that gives me a bit of hope! x

Oh, really? Alfie has bad hiccups too. I wonder if its related. Im going tomorrow, so i'll keep you updated. Thank you xx

I just went tonight aswell with my baby faye due to induction/fast delivery/ventouse plus she's quite fussy, always alert, hiccups, turns to one side.
I personally found it so far a help, settling down and turning her head more freely. Xx

Well, we went to the Osteopath who was lovely. She spent an hour fiddling with the baby's head and spine. It looked like a gentle massage. She said his head was slightly off line due to the forceps, so re-lined them.
Alfie was totally chilled out the whole time and actually slept for 6 hours that night!
Im not sure if its actually done anything, but he seems more chilled out since then. It certainly didnt do him any harm x

We tried it after recommendation from a colleague who had also had a nightmare refluxy and colicky baby. Didnt work for us, but not to say it cant work for some!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->