Craving chalk!!!!

le_annek

Reaction score
I did on my last two pregnancies :( was doing so well this time and yesterday I just had to get some. I know its bad for me as the last time I had to have a blood transfusion as my iron levels and platelets were so low. I've asked hubby to hide them from me i just wish this craving would do one!!!!:dohh:

hun thats one ive not come acrross before

my odd craving in pregnancy has always been clean pillowcases lol i did so much laundry in my last couple of pregnancys the sheets were changed daily lol

Its a very strange one I know :) i just bite a bit if it and crunch it between my teeth. I haven't had any food cravings. whats wrong with me!!! lol xx

The craving of a non food item is called pica. I remember seeing a show where a woman ate chalk all the time. Her doctors biggest concern is that there is no food grade regulation in the making of chalk so who knows what ends up in the final product that can be harmful.

Found this:
What can you do if you have pica cravings?
Don't panic; it happens and is not abnormal. The most important thing is to inform your health care provider to make sure you have a complete understanding of the specific risks associated with your cravings. Here are some suggestions to help you deal with pica cravings:

Inform your health care provider and review your prenatal health records
Monitor your iron status along with other vitamin and mineral intake
Consider potential substitutes for the cravings such as chewing sugarless gum
Inform a friend of your craving who can help you avoid non-food items

You aren't alone. I craved chalk and wax crayons, with my last pregnancy, but later in the pregnancy. I was lucky enough that most of the time the smell would keep me going, although I did have a munch on some chalk a couple of times. I would def let your healthcare provider know though, a sthey might want want to monitor you.

Omg, I thought it was just me!!
I craved chalky things in my last 3 pregnancys and was doing so well this time round, until about a week ago! I don't eat actual chalk, althou I'd love too. I overdose on boots brand heartburn tabs because they have that chalky texture.

I'm also craving the bit in-between brick Walls. You know the stuff they use to stick the wall together?!? Lol I love the smell, makes me want to eat it. I'm so weird x

I read about weird cravings the other day, its so strange what makes us want tohave these things lol

I've got a really random craving to eat talc powder at the moment, I like the gritty bits crunching :S
I've managed to keep it under control, but I can't help but want it all the time...

When I was younger my mum said I used to try and eat it aswell :S don't know
Why its come back all of a sudden.

I'm wondering if it is my iron levels, as my blood test I had the other day has come back that I'm anemic, so they've perscribed
Me iron tablets. Hopfully this will keep my craving under control xx

In my last pregnancy I craved toilet paper and it had to be charmin. I didn't actually digest it I just sucked on it. There was something in the toilet paper that just tasted good. Weird huh? :?

I craved petrol last time and I thought id escaped this time, but nope! Im craving cold metal, I want to scrape my teeth on it and scratch it :|

too me that sounds like you may be missing a key vitamin or iron levels are not quite right mention to midwife and they will point you in right direction, only saying this as we had a child at nursery who licked metal and found out it was because his zinc levels were really low! Apparently strange cravings like this even when not pregnant signals a lack of something or maybe baby has taken up all your reserves!

My mum had the same craving when she was pregnant with me!.. I havent had many odd ones this time round but did find paint appealing when I was pregnant with my daughter! Never ate any though :haha: xx

I like sniffing my puppies biscuits!!. Only the science plan ones. I have to hold the bag tight so the smell is more concentrated!!! Not ate one.... Yet!!!! X

Definitely sounds like a bunch of pica ladies to me :) Let your healthcare people know!

wow what a response thanks girls :) Im glad im not the only one thats going through this i will mention it to the midwife next week. I also sniff window lean and boot polish at the moment oh please baby come quickly lol so I can return to normal xxx

I eat corn starch, it apeasess my chalk craving. Some times i suck it thru the straw.:wacko:

I've got a craving for vicks vaporub. I keep on smelling and haven't ingested any yet. Do speak to a midwife though hun

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->