Crazy day....vanishing twin

Olivia_T

Reaction score
I found out that I was pregnant May 15th. I called my doctor and they scheduled me for June 22nd (somewhere around 9-10ish weeks).

Last night I used the bathroom and there was blood. I immediately panicked. This is my first child and the sight of blood was terrifying. I pretty much cried myself to sleep. When I woke up and used the bathroom, there was still some blood.

I called the doctor and they had me come in today. I thought for sure I had lost the baby. They did an ultrasound and I heard a noise that I thought was what I heard on tv as the heart beat...I thought maybe I was just crazy haha.

The tech confirmed that I was hearing my baby's heartbeat and I felt relieved but still worried about what might be going on.

She turned the screen to me and showed me...there was my baby and next to it was a very visible empty gestational sac. I couldn't believe it. I was totally blown away. It was really the last thing I was expecting to find out.

I talked to the doctor and they sounded pretty optimistic that everything would be fine with the viable baby in there. They said that my body or the other baby should basically absorb the other gestational sac.

ANYWAY...I just was really shocked by the whole experience and was interested to know if anyone else has been through anything similar or knows a lot about this.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I haven't been through this but I believe my mom did. My sister is 20 years younger than me (she's 11 now) and I believe she had a vanishing twin. Mom (obviously, lol) went on to carry Nikki to term and she was totally healthy!

Awesome....my doctor said it happens more frequently than it seems since by the time people come in for their first ultrasound, the vanishing twin has often already vanished.

It was still a pretty scary experience...blood equaled meltdown for me. I just thought the worst.

I was so grateful this early on to be able to hear the baby's heart beat though...I was getting so anxious waiting for June 22nd. They say the baby is measuring 6 weeks 5 days so I am just really hoping after this little ordeal that the rest can go as smoothly as possible.

:) I bet that was major relief! I lost my first to a blighted ovum a few months ago so I'm just counting down the (slow) days until my first appt which isn't until the 27th!

Ahhh I will say a prayer for you! I hope everything for you goes great!

It is so hard to wait for that appointment. I would never want it to be under these circumstances but I was so glad just to hear a heart beat and have someone look and see what was going on in there....it's so hard to wait and not know.

I am eager to go back in 10 days and hopefully see the second gestational sac shrinking the way it should.

Thank you! I truly appreciate that!

Yes, the waiting is a killer. I have 2 weeks and 6 days to wait. LOL

Prayers for you!

Thanks so much! Hopefully it will be smooth sailing for both of us :)

That must have been so shocking for you!
Hope all goes well at your next appointment.

This happened to my friend in her last TWO pregnancies. In both cases she carried the remaining twin to term and they are both completely healthy and gorgeous :D Good luck for your next scan x

my friend had that happen to her and she went on to have a healthy little boy :)

now you've seen the heartbeat, your chances of a healthy, successful pregnancy shoot way up! congratulations :)
xx

I had a bleed at about 6 weeks and got told the same thing, they could see two sacs but only one viable pregnancy. They said they were 99.9% sure that the second embryo either didn't develop at all or didn't last very long and that was what was causing the bleeding.

I had another scan two weeks later at 8 weeks and I was so scared that something would have happened to the remaining one. They found two sacs again, but this time, two heartbeats!

There was no explanation for the bleeding I had experienced, and baby 2 was just too small to be seen at 6 weeks.

I'm not saying that this will happen to you but just wanted to share my experience, I am now 10 weeks 3 days pregnant and am hoping to still see two healthy heartbeats when I go back for my 12 week scan!

WOW! Thanks everyone for the feedback and stories. It was definitely a shock and I am SO happy to hear that others have experienced the same thing and gone on to have healthy babies.

greenhayley...that is crazy! i hope that everything goes wonderfully for you and for both little nuggets ;) I never imagined having twins....so I was so shocked at the doctor yesterday. Twins definitely seem like they'd be a challenge but an exciting one :)

I am so grateful for my little sweet pea and love hearing everyone else's experience. BEST WISHES to everyone on here :)

i have had this very same thing happen to me today. baby measuring 7/2 as normal and another sac a quater of the size, vanishing twin they called it

i had been bleeding on sunday so had an early scan today....maybe we come be bump buddies??? keep each other updated xx

First of all Congratulations!!! :D Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for the baby left :)

Something a little simular happend to me today, I went for a early scan after spotting the w-end, To be told I'm having twins! DEFO not expected as there is no twins on either side. I just hope I can keep them safe.

Someone in my family was pg and thought she was miscarrying. They were going to do a D&C but she refused, saying "I still feel pregnant". They argued that she was wrong, because she'd quite clearly miscarried. Nevertheless she demanded a scan and found that she still had a healthy baby. She had been unknowingly pregnant with twins, but one had died, and that had been the reason for the bleed. Good thing she trusted her instincts.

I had this happen to me.... I now have a 2 week little girl :):) Its not as uncommon as people think. Over 40-45% of twin cases.. I was 8 weeks when it happen to me, but I never bleed or anything If I didnt have that early ultrasound I would have never known.

spencerspiece - that's crazy! my doctor said the same thing...that if not for the bleeding and the early ultrasound, i might never have known because if all goes well, my body will absorb the other sac. It was still crazy...and pretty shocking...and actually a relief as well in the sense that I knew one was healthy!

tabitha561...congratulations on your little girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have read a lot more since my appointment yesterday and am finding out more and more often how common it is! I read that a study showed if ultrasounds are done early (around 6 weeks) almost 85% of all cases of twins would end up with this vanishing twin syndrome.

Hello... some1 reccomended me to pop by and read your thread.. I guess im clutching at straws and soooo hope that im experiencing the same thing as you have.

I started bleeding 2 days before my AF(was due 6th of june), 1st day it was pinky and only when i wiped, 2nd day it was heavy red blood with a large clot. My bleeding has stopped all together.

I did pregnancy tests prior to bleeding and after and all showing faint positives but there are deffo there!, have nausea, sore boobs and mild cramps... Cant see my doctor untill 7 days time, the wait is killing me :( x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->