Crib Bumpers...

Vmazzotta

Reaction score
So, who is using them, why or why not? I am so worried about suffocation with the bumper and I am so lost as to what I should do! Our baby will be in her bassinet until she outgrows it and then she will move onto her crib. What is everyones opinions? Thanks ladies!

I going with no bumpers because of the risk of suffocation, I was going to use one of those breathable bumpers, but I went to a infant/child CPR course on Sunday and the trainer there told us not to use anything at all in the cot, not even the breathable ones. she was adamant nothing at all should go in the cot. So as a first time mum I'm going with what she said.

With my first she was in her crib at 2 months old and wasnt rolling or moving in her crib yet so we had it on just for looks and removed it when she started to move. This time around im not even going to bother buying a crib set because the only thing I can really use is the crib sheet until she is older. It is now recommended in Canada not to use the crib bumper, or thik blanket that crib sets come with. I was told all that should in the crib is a baby blanket(or just a sleep sac so you dont have to worry about baby getting under the blanket and suffocating that way) and the crib sheet.

I used & still use the breatheable bumpers. Megan would hit her head against the edge of the crib & always get her legs & arms stuck & it solved both of those problems. They collapse so she cant use them as an aid to climb out.

I've never been told that the breatheable bumpers were a problem :shrug: I can see where you want to be as careful as possible though. As a mom you always do what you think is best for your child. We didnt use them in the beginning but as she got older it became something we needed to address.

im going with a breathable bumper, just because if an arm goes through the slats, it could break them. breathable seems the best choice, and i dont quite understand how theyd suffocate on those, but im sure the lady knows what shes talking about.

I'm also going with the breatheable bumpers...

004.jpg

They don't look too bad and I know they will save her from getting stuck later on. Also, like one of the ladies mentioned, they collapse if LO tries to climb on them. :thumbup:

https://www.breathablebaby.com/EXPERTS.html

Thanks so much for all of the information! I appreciate it. My classes are not scheduled until July but I feel as if I have so much stuff to do!! The bumpers make me so nervous!

The only problem I could see with breathable bumpers is that baby could possibly fall into the gap between them or fall with their neck on the top. Not that it would tangle around them but it would have to collapse properly for it to not get hung up. That's kinda an out there scenario though. Mine always got stuck in the crib bars, even bruised her legs being stuck and hit her head a lot on them so I don't know what I'd do.

I just had my baby care class tonight and the pediatrician who taught a big block of the class kinda chuckled when we asked about bumpers. He said their only purpose is decor, and that they are really quite silly. He didn't say don't use them, but said once baby starts to move around at all they really recommend not having anything in the crib.

He said that one of the theories about SIDS is that the baby isn't taking deep breaths so the air around baby gets sort of caught up in the immediate space around him/her (and that air isn't good oxygen since it's been expelled already by baby), and it's possible bumpers may not help that---in other words, good air circulation is helpful and bumpers obviously don't promote it.

I am planning to use thin bumpers tied securely. I figure that having it snug against the slats will minimize any risks to baby. My worry with not using them is what others have mentioned about baby bumping his head, or getting arms/legs stuck in the slats and getting hurt...

im using one i asked in the shop what they recomend and they said they are ok but it is my choice obviously because if you think about it if they where in a moses basket that has material rigth round and they dont say there is a danger there. xxx

We've got bumpers for decoration, but for sleeping, when he's in his own room, we'll either remove them at night and put them back on (like making a regular bed up I guess) or sleep him with his head at the other end.

Why do they sell them if they are THAT bad? Ive never really understood that!! I can see why they may be a risk, but I can't see why they sell them if the risk it that large?!

To add, Im just airing on the side of caution, I don't think that the risk is huge, personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->