Crohn's Disease?

NeyNey

Love My IVF Munchkin
Reaction score
My DH is in hospital in a pretty bad way.

He's had many tests, and probably many more.
But they are saying he may have Crohn's disease.

Does anyone know anything about this, and how it's treated?
From what I can find on the net there's a million different opinions.

Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience.

Thank you.

Hi

I've got Crohns disease - though luckily mine is well under control at the moment and I've not suffered too badly at all over the last few years but there was a time about 5 years ago where my weight dropped to just over 5 stone and I was really ill with it.

Luckily for me once I was diagnosed and started on steroids and asacol (an anti-inflammatory drug which doesn't dissolve until it has passed through your stomach - hence working directly on the affected area) I noticed a huge improvement over a relatively short time.

Since then switching to a vegetarian diet and cutting down dairy seems to have helped me enormously and I haven't needed to take any medication for about 3 years now - although of course I'm very lucky and for many sufferers it can be much worse and a debilitating illness. The treatment your husband will get will very much depend on what the state of his bowels are but now he is diagnosed at least he is on the way to solving the problem :hugs:

I'd go on to say that it's only very recently that I think I'm starting to get some effects of the crohns again but I think this is due to being almost 7 months pregnant and my body is finding it hard to get enough nutrients from my diet (bearing in mind the inside of intestines is damaged and therefore doesn't process food as effectively) so I'm probably more tired than most people at this stage of pregnancy - but obviously this is not a complication your DH needs to worry about :)

There is lots of advice and reading out there on the internet - but try not to panic at some of the more extreme cases as many people can manage the illness through drugs alone and go on to have normal healthy lives with relatively few side affects :)

Your poor OH.
My dad has Crohn's disease and one of my sisters is in the process of being diagnosed with it.
I wish there was something I could say to help sweets,or to offer advice but my dad has it very severely and for him it really has been as Blondie has said a 'debilitating illness' My sister seems to manage mostly with keeping a really strict eye on her diet though and see what causes it to 'flare up' as it were.(She stays away from pretty much anything fried and unhealthy and tries to cut out meat 90% of the time aswell).
Just sending lots of love and hugs to you and hoping your OH gets lots of help :hugs:

Thanks girls.

That will be hard on my DH as he loves his red meats. But he's already determined to get it under control if that's what it turns out to be. At the moment he's unable to hold in and fluids or solid food, so they have him on an IV while they run tests.

He's always had "stomach" issues since he was a child...But never did anyone bother to investigate, they simply said he had IBS....which is what all Dr's have said until this recent attack...Now he can't eat or drink anything they are sitting up and taking notice.

I just hope if it is Crohn's that it's not caused too much damage over the years.

xoxo

Thanks again for replying, I really appreciate your input

my mum has crohns and was in a pretty bad way a few years back, ended up in hospital for 3 months having scans and cameras etc and was facing a colostomy bag at 39! She was prescribed asacol and was taking 27 a day until someone suggested taking aloe vera. She took the liquid and within weeks was pretty much back to normal. She then took the liquid caplets and is now medicine free except for if she feels a flare up then she just takes a few aloe vera and that sorts it out. Maybe worth a try cos as far as im concerned they were an absolute miracle!!

:hugs: No experience personally, we do have one friend that has it but he never really talks about it. Hope your DH starts feeling better soon! :hugs:

Hello! I am 33 and have had Crohn's disease for 15 years. I found a restricted diet helped a lot, but I didn't always have the will power required to cut out chocolate, wine, spicy food and dairy products especially as it felt so rubbish when I'd been really 'good' and it flared for what seemed like no reason at all.

When the tablets (azathioprine etc) could no longer control it I had infliximab infusions. And the stuff was brilliant!!! It took a while to work but the Crohn's almost completely disappeared and I felt as well as I ever had. It doesn't work for everyone but I would totally recommend trying it.

In response to the post above, about a year ago I developed Toxic Megacolon (but the consultant thinks NOT because of the Crohn's, just me being odd!) and had an emergency ileostomy. Now I am SURE it will not come to that for your husband, the medication etc is usually sooo effective, but I want you to know that it is absolutely not the end of the world!!! I got married recently, we are trying for a baby (obviously as I am on this site!!) I can wear tight dresses and tops (not perhaps a very relevant point for your husband though!) and feel like I've got my life back.

Sorry this is so long. I am always willing to chat about it if you need me xxx

Hello

I have had crohn's disease for 10 years. I have had always had stomach issues. They just attributed my intestinal issues to being lactose intolerant. I have had a flare up at least once a year. The length of the flare ups last from weeks to months. I am not sure what your husband symtoms are? there numerous symtoms and the common denominator is the diarrhea. I have fever , weightloss, horrible stomach pain, and constantly lethargic. There are multiple treatments depending on the severity. Your husband will probably be required to to take maintance meds to stay in remission once he gets there. Unfortunately diagnosing crohn;s is not as easy as it sounds. It took multiple physicians 5 years before I was diagnosed. They all had a suspicion but could not say with 100 percent certainty.What really helps is to have a strong support group. This illness is debilitating and requires people to be understanding. There are alot of wonderful groups, and book to inform you about this illness. You have to stay strong .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->