Croup

sophie22

Reaction score
I've never been so scared in my life. Jesse had seemed fine, but he woke suddenly around midnight wheezing, no being able to get a proper breath and barking cough. Took him to A&E where they said it was croup and he had a steroid medicine which helped loads, just a little cough, I have to give him another dose at 12pm. I'm so scared its going to come back! I have to take him straight back if it gets bad again. Every cough I'm like a nervous wreck! Does anyone have any experience of this?:cry:

My Millie she now 3 shes suffered bouts of croup since she was 14 months old. Luckly i knew what it was when i first heard her one night when she wad in bed one night. I phoned NHS just to be sure and i was right. When Millie gets it i run the shower hot and sit with her in the bathroom which helps her. Millie has also had steriods which help loads. Luckly never had to take her to A@E with it. Its something they grown out of eventually.

How bad was her breathing? Jesse was really struggling, he got a little bit of breath, very sort then the wheeze followed by cough. He even sounded crackly on his outward breath at first. It was terrifying. He was throwing himself back and crying and getting mad and upset. Just awful!
Also, did the croup follow a cold? Jesse had a cold a couple if weeks ago but nothing now, he just suddenly woke with it

:hugs: The first bout of croup is terrifying! Charlie has had croup 3 times now and the first time I got such a fright we phoned an ambulance. It does follow a cold (for us anyway) and can only be treated at hospital with an oral steroid and in Charlie's case the 3rd time - a nebuliser as well. It's horrible but after the hospital treatment there's not much we can do at home except cuddles, calpol and a steamy bathroom helps clear the tubes and airways. They usually feel better after a few days, hope your lo gets well soon :flow:

Yep my DS got it about 2 months ago and also had asthma triggered from the cold he had as well and I had the same scare as you did and had to call the ambulance. I was hysterical, we ended up in hospital for 3 days. He also had to be given steroid drops, Ventolin and had to go on a humidifier oxygen machine. Its a very scary time indeed, i feel for ya.

My LO had croup but we didn't have to give her any treatment as although it sounded horrid and she lost her voice, it never affected her breathing. Maybe it is worse when they are younger (My LO was 2.5)??? Nhs website said MOST croup clears up on its own in 48hrs, I'm so sorry your LO reacted so badly!

Millie never has suffered with her breathing when she gets it. Her voice is crackerly and that cough sounds really nasty. It always has followed after a cold. We also have a steamer so we completely steamed up her bedroom before putting her to bed sounds crazy but its helped in the past. Hope your LO is ok now must of been so scarey.x

Evelyn's first bout of croup saw her being rushed into a&e with really low oxygen levels. Steroids cleared it up well but we also took little walks, steamed her room out etc.
We didn't sleep properly for days we were so worried.
When Ivy got it I instantly knew what it was and she too had steroids and also an inhaler. It's absolutely terrifying. I hope your LO is better soon. I completely understand the panic!
Like the other ladies said and I said, steamy rooms, little walks and rest for you all!
:hugs:

Thanks everyone! Oh god I hope he dosnt have another attack of it, once was enough! Its weird. He had a cold a couple of weeks ago but didn't before the sudden croup. But he started with a cold this morning, can it come after instead? He's in bed with me now, I've been too scared to put him alone until he seems well again. He seems hot but he won't let me give calpol without a fight :/

I took my son to hospital this morning (4am) where they said it was croup.

Never been so scared seeing my son struggling to breathe and gasping for air. He had steroids this morning and he's to have a second dose at 5.30pm. Steroids have made a difference.

Oh my god this happened to us exactly how you described it! Emily seemed fine at bed time but when FOB checked on her around 9pm she was wheezing and was struggling to breathe and had the barking cough... phoned NHS 24 and they sent out and ambulance and took us to the hospital where she was given a liquid steroid and sent home... it has been the most frightening thing to happen to me yet... i could swear my heart was thumping so hard i thought i was having a heart attack or something :cry: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"