Cute or weird? Unique name

KalonKiki

Liam and Thea's Mommy <3
Reaction score
So my DF and I are WTT until May/June 2016 and we plan to gender sway for a girl as we already have a wonderful DS and would like to have a DD as well to possibly complete our family. Anyway, I am really loving the name Dolce (dole-chay) lately but don't want to get too attached to it if it's one of those names that everyone thinks is "too unique". I don't want to be one of those parents that names their child something that makes other people feel sorry for their kid. Dolce is an Italian name that means "sweet" and is also a musical term generally used for sweet picking on a guitar or playing an instrument sweetly. I would also please ask that you refrain from any rude comments about gender swaying, it is our decision and even our sway didn't work and we got another boy we would still be happy and love him very much. So what do the lovely ladies of BnB think? Cute unique or weird unique?

Like dolche and gabana? I think everyone will think of handbags personally.

Speaking as someone with an easy to spell name and a sibling with a unique name I am completely in favour of a easy to spell name.

Easy to spell names do better in life: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26634477

Honest truth I think dolce and gabana and it gives me the same feeling as when someone names there child Mercedes or porshe... sorry!
It's your child though so if you like it go for it :)

I'm afraid I'm not a fan. I like that you associate it more with its musical meaning, but my first impression is the same as the PP - I'd also put it in the same category as Mercedes etc.

I'm not a fan due to the link to D&G, makes me think of names like Porshe.

Sorry just realised I completely unintentionally copied what pps said!

I agree with PP...some people might not know how to pronounce it as well and she would have to be constantly correcting. I have an odd spelling too and it becomes tiresome pretty quick. With that though, it would be your baby and if you like it than go for it!

My DF and I are victims of names that are hard for people to pronounce and spell as well, but realistically they shouldn't be. The way I see it is that it doesn't matter how your name is spelled or pronounced, eventually someone is going to get it wrong. My mother's name is Jill and people have pronounced it as "gill" before and they constantly call her Jillian when it's just Jill. My DF's name is Colin and people have pronounced it "colon" and "colleen" and constantly add an extra "L" even though one "L" is the original spelling. My name is five letters long and pronounced the exact way it's spelled but I have had many misspellings and mispronunciations. So it's not the misprouncing and misspelling part that bothers me because I'm used to it and I live in the Midwestern United States where people don't seem to know how to spell or pronounce most names or words anyway. Liam is the 6th most popular name for boys in recent years and we've still had people ask us how it's pronounced and/or spelled. Even had one person pronounce it "ly-am" instead of "lee-am". I didn't even think about Dolce and Gabbana though, but seeing as they pulled it from the Latin root themselves it still doesn't bother me that much. People that name their kids stuff like Mercedes or Porsche are naming them after the cars but Dolce comes from something else entirely, Dolce and Gabbana did not make it up themselves, therefore I don't see it as naming after a brand. That's like saying that my last name (McDonald) comes from the franchise when the name existed hundreds if not thousands of years before the franchise.

Ive met a child called Dolcie (doll-see) which I like, but I dont like Dolce. Sounds chavvy to me!

I kind of love it, but I love unique names with interesting explanations. I didn't have any issues with knowing how it's pronounced or what it means, but I also took 5 years of Spanish in high school and just sort of have a knack for languages.

Considering I want to name a daughter Maeve (May-Eve), I say go for it.

Maeve is a cute one too! I'm also a fan of unique names with interesting history and meanings and even though people misprounce and misspell my name a lot I still absolutely love my name. I've only met a couple of other girls named Keely in my entire life and it makes me feel unique and special. I can't imagine going through school with the same name as five of your classmates.

I like that you look at the root of the word instead of the brand. Unfortunately, I can see her having a lifetime of people asking "Dolce? Like Dolce and Gabbana?"

Even though you think of the root when you hear it, many many people will think of the brand.

Honestly I don't think that Dolce and Gabbana is a bad brand to come to mind when people hear a name (if anything that will make them more likely to be able to spell and pronounce it) and being associated with a franchise has never bothered me but it's likely that my DF will hate it just because I like it. :haha:.
I also really like Aria and Aisling (ASH-ling) but he's on the fence about about those. The problem is that I like soft, "liquid" names thay flow and have a lot of vowels and DF likes hard names with more pronounced consonants.

Oh! I just had a wonderful idea. I could use Dolce as a middle name. Aisling Dolce (sweet dream) or Aria Dolce (sweet melody) would be so cute. I can't believe I didn't consider this before. :D

I'm not a fan because in the UK (or at least where I am) it is considered a "chavvy" name :blush:. When I hear Dolce I think Gabbana even though I know its etymology. My brothers partner teaches in a rough school and he has a Dolce in his class and a boy named Georgio who has a twin brother in another class named Armani, no joke. However if you like it I would still use it- you'll never find a name that everyone loves, but if you love it then that is a very good start!

And that was my thought too, that someone was going to dislike my name choice no matter what name it is. I do rather like the idea of using it as a middle name though, I might present that as a possibility to DF.

I LOVE Aria as a name... I think it is so feminine and beautiful :)

As someone who named their child "Kaillem" (Ky-lum), I don't feel like I can judge anyone else's name choices anymore. If you like it, go for it. Personally, I think it makes a fantastic middle name, especially after Aria or another musically-themed name.

It would be cute for a pet possibly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->