Cyclizine - morning sickness

whatwillbex

Reaction score
Hi

So I have been prescribed the above I think that's how it's spelt. I was really relieved to be prescribed it and was ready to take it. My parents are really worried about me taking it and have now put doubts in my head. They are older and were telling me about birth defects it can cause. I was trying to reassure them and say medicines changed a lot from when they were younger and they wouldn't prescribe it. Now I'm doubting myself and nervous to take it, really annoying as I need these. I red all the side affects and it sounds bit scary. Anyone else taking these and they have made a difference and baby was fine x

I took these 3 times a day from about 6 weeks but started only taking one when my nausea was Starting to ease at 9 weeks and my baby is fine. Honestly the doctor wouldn't prescribe them otherwise. Im not taking them at all any more as I'm managing a lot better and only being sick instead of constant extreme nausea.

Cyclezine is fine. It's the mildest anti-sickness available, has been prescribed the longest and is actually just an anti-histimine for allergies but a side effect is that is helps stop nausea and vomiting! There are no studies at all that suggest there is any harm to baby with it.

My mum was horrified I was given Ondanestron (Zofran) but I just ignored her. She never had morning sickness and wasn't the one hardly able to get out of bed! I trusted my doctors opinion. My parents went through the whole Thalidomide scandal and I find that generation are very cautious about any medication in pregnancy. I take a paracetemol and my mum looks worried! However, since the 60's, times have moved on and there have been many drug studies with pregnant people. The risks of a lot of medications are now known and there are decent stats to back up their safety! If you need some help, then take them. Its better than getting dehydrated which is far more of a risk to baby!

Hope the medication works for you! I used to take cyclizine for allergies as a kid, it'll make you feel pretty sleepy at first! You build a tolerance too it though!

I took it and I am beyond glad I did. It was a life saver.

I had hyperemesis with my daughter, and was prescribed cyclezine, metaclopramide and promethazine - none of them helped the sickness. I was prescribed ondansetron at 17 weeks and it was my saviour!

Dr's won't prescribe anything that will cause harm to your baby, they are all perfectly safe to take. Yes, many years ago, there was a morning sickness med that caused abnormalities with babies, but he ones used nowadays are safe. If your are worried about them because of what you have been told by other people, speak to your doctor about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->