Cyclone Yasi In Australia!

Quote from News.com.au:

8.57pm Authorities fear some tourists in Cairns may underestimate Yasi's deadly threat - with backpackers crowding on to balconies at city resorts, posing for photos and chanting ''Yasi, Yasi, Yasi - Oi, Oi, Oi".

Thats my STUPID ASS dad! And uncle!!!

winds up to 300km/ph and people are having parties?! wow...i hope they enjoy it. tomorrow they'll be dealing with clean up and listening to how high the death toll is. Aussies hey? any excuse for a drink :dohh:

They keep showing on tv the path cyclones have taken in the past. Not one comes NEAR Adelaide (obviously because where we are positioned). I know people think Adelaide is a bit average but i'm pretty happy to be living here lately.

Well cyclones need warm water to be fueled, so you don't usually see them south of the tropics, and definitely won't see them as far south as Adelaide - the water is too cold.
But you probably get your share of bushfires.

yasi.jpg

crazy stuff.

They've mentioned a few times that this is bigger than hurricane katrina which killed SO many people. I hope Queensland is better prepared.

Hope your family keeps safe Kay :hugs: Only Aussie's would use a cyclone as an excuse for a party eh?

https://www.news.com.au/breaking-ne...around-the-world/story-fn7ik2te-1225998762870

Yasi is almost as big as continental USA...

Well cyclones need warm water to be fueled, so you don't usually see them south of the tropics, and definitely won't see them as far south as Adelaide - the water is too cold.
But you probably get your share of bushfires.

I understand why, i'm just saying i'm thankful its not my family dealing with it. Queensland has been through so much already..its a horrible situation. I think the Adelaide surrounds have had their share of bushfires but Adelaide itself seems to be pretty lucky. Now i've said that, there will probably be an earthquake or something hit. I'm going to stop talking before i jinx us :)

https://www.news.com.au/breaking-ne...around-the-world/story-fn7ik2te-1225998762870

Yasi is almost as big as continental USA...

Oh god i wish i never saw that :cry:

they've just said that emergency services are now out of operation as it's too dangerous for them to help.

I just saw on This Morning it's due to hit around 2pm our time. Hopefully that's given everyone enough time to get to higher ground. I was actually saying not long ago that we hardly ever hear about Australia having any natural disasters and then the floods came along and now this straight after :nope:

I just don't think it makes the international news much. But between the annual bushfires, annual cyclones (180 in the past 40 years that have made landfall), flooding every decade or so in between horrendous droughts, Australia gets it pretty bad. But ya, not usually as insane as it's been this summer.

My uncle lives in Mission Beach and my cousin and her kids Cairns. I can only pray they are safe. It's so frustrating being so far away. :cry:

CBD isnt deserted though! My family are there , they wont move , god im so scared i am really really panicing , my nan and grandad they live in a wooden house , its pretty much on stilts! Oh please please dont hurt any of them :(

:hugs:

I have to g to bed, much as I would rather stay up for updates as I know I'm not going to sleep well tonight.

Just heard from my sister south of Cairns - power is flickering but not off yet, though 78,000 homes have lost power. Lots of wind and rain, some roofs already torn off (though not many where she is), 18 metre waves reported off townsville. And already a couple of calls have come in to SES for help, and there is nothing SES can do at this point - they can't go anywhere until Yasi passes. How many lives will be lost because people didn't heed the warnings and prepare? :(

I have to g to bed, much as I would rather stay up for updates as I know I'm not going to sleep well tonight.

Just heard from my sister south of Cairns - power is flickering but not off yet, though 78,000 homes have lost power. Lots of wind and rain, some roofs already torn off (though not many where she is), 18 metre waves reported off townsville. And already a couple of calls have come in to SES for help, and there is nothing SES can do at this point - they can't go anywhere until Yasi passes. How many lives will be lost because people didn't heed the warnings and prepare? :(
:hugs:

hope all of you and your families are safe! :hugs::hugs:

Anyone know where to get updates?
I can't really find anything.
I hope all of your families stay safe.
It's awful :(

Anyone know where to get updates?
I can't really find anything.
I hope all of your families stay safe.
It's awful :(

I have had this on all day , news reports about it all the time , on the side are people that are twittering about it ,
https://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/
thats how im keeping up to date , also my family , which i think have lost power, feels like im riding this out with them , i wont know whats happening till morning.. roofs have come off , and this is JUST the beginning. It hasnt really touched down yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->