Cysts found on baseline scan

ES89

Reaction score
Hi ladies
Generally looking for some answers or experiences with cysts. You can pretty much see my story in my signature. Everything was finally going ahead after years of tests, waiting, emotions going crazy. Af arrived 21st July so rang up Knutsford (another clinic ran by Liverpool women's) and I was having my baseline scan on day3. The nurse found a small cyst on both of my ovaries. As they were small she said we will go ahead as normal for now but she would call a doctor for a second opinion. Few hours later I got the dreaded phone call saying they weren't going ahead as they anticipated a negative result. I was obviously devistated but greatful that I wasn't "wasting" an attempt. The nurse said the hospital will be in touch with a follow up appointment. My appointment is on 25th July, literally a whole month later... I've been worrying so much, the waiting has got me extremely anxious! Has anyone had a similar experience?? What did they do at the next appointment?? Will the nurse have examined my cysts at my baseline to know what type they are dealing with?? I'm confused as to why they weren't picked up on my investigating scan...
I'm sorry so many questions but I don't know anyone who's gone through this to talk to and I'm feeling very isolated

Ugh.... delays are the worst! I hope things clear up quickly so you can move forward with your cycle. :hugs:

I had a medium size cyst on one of my ovaries when I was prepping for my first IVF cycles. I had been on progesterone to trigger AF (since I have PCOS and wasn't O'ing naturally at the time), but when I stopped the progesterone AF never came. RE said it was likely the cyst messing with my hormones. WE wanted to move things along, so she went in and punctured the cyst so it could drain. After that, she gave me a big injection of progesterone to induce AF and a week later I started my IVF cycle.

If your cysts haven't resolved by your next appt, maybe you can ask about having them punctured? I had it done without any medication, and it was incredibly painful (just how they do things at my clinic), so I'd recommend general anesthesia- or at least some kind of pain killers if they'll do it. If I had to have it done again, I'd splurge on the anesthesia for sure!

sorry to hear that your cycle has been postponed :( I don't have any experience of cysts but I am also having IVF at the womens so thought I would say Hi!

I've got my baseline scan in the next week at some point, my period is due any day now and I'm feeling anxious about it. I suppose it's the starting point but can also be the ending point too depending on what they find in there.

Sending you good luck for your follow up

xx

Thanks for your reply bunyhuny😊 means a lot! Did you get af "regularly" or hardly ever? I get af every month but the amount of days I go do vary. Stupidly short cycle last month (although I wasn't complaining as it was the start on my ivf cycle lol) n this month I'm on day 32 n no sign yet!
I'm assuming you did the short protocol?
I've read some women go onto a bcp to let them resolve themselves? Suppose my next appointment will shed some light on the situation. But i will mention puncturing it if theyve grown any bigger.I just hope it isn't all dragged out now.
Hi tinadecember 😊
I'm on the liverpool women's thread so I've been reading through your journey so far 😊 I'm sure your baseline scan will be fine. I was just 1 of the unfortunate ones, didn't expect them to find cysts at all! I'm glad They didn't go ahead but I couldn't help but feel disheartened. Hope af arrives soon for you, any signs she's close?

Hmm... if you're at day 32, it could be that the cyst is making hormones that are going to suppress AF. Hopefully your RE can make a game plan to fix that. Of course, there are also times when they say you have a cyst, but it's actually just a corpus luteum and you have to wait for AF for it to go away.

I used to get AF every month but then took a supplement that knocked my hormones out of whack, activating dormant PCOS, and making AF disappear for a couple years. As of last year I was finally back to regular-ish cycles. (Regular, but 50-60 days long.) At the time of my first IVF I wasn't ovulating, just making the occasional, nonworking follicle that sometimes turned into a cyst.

I go to Prague for IVF and they don't have long and short cycles. Well, not that I know of at least. I get a mid-cycle scan to see if I have follicles developing, and as long as my ovaries are quiet, I start progesterone fand take it for two to three weeks (which is kind of like taking birth control), then bleed, and go into gonal-f along with orgalutran (ovulation suppressant). If I do have a follicle at scan, they monitor it and I start progesterone post-O.

Oh wow, sounds really complex! I had a high amh which I'm now thinking I may have pcos. I was never diagnoised with it before going on the bcp years ago. I definatly think they mess with my hormones! It's only 3 days till my next appointment, just hope they can give me some answers. Prague? Where do you live?

We live in Colorado in the US, but IVF is cheaper and better in Prague, so we travel there for it. I did the birth control patch for a couple years over a decade ago, and when I came off of it, it took years for my cycles to get back to normal again. All those hormones mess with things. :dohh: I hope you get some answers at your next appt; I know how much it sucks to have your first IVF postponed. Keep me updated, yeah?

Ah ok, did you have to pay for your ivf then? I've come home early from work today coz I was doubled up in pain which I'm guessing is af coming n the cysts aren't helping 😢 my hot water bottle is my best friend xx

I'm sorry you're in so much pain! :hugs: That sounds awful. Stupid cysts. They're the worst!

Yeah, here in the US, IVF usually isn't covered by insurance, so it's all out of pocket. It ranges from about $15,000-$35,000 depending on what exactly you need done. IVF in Prague only cost about $4000-$9000 a cycle and has advanced treatment options that you often can't get in the US.

Good luck at today's appt. Let me know how it goes?

Wow that's 1 hell of a difference! No wonder u travel!
Feeling loads better today, flow has gone lighter too which is always good!
I rang my clinic today asking if they would be rescanning me tomorrow n they couldn't give me a definite yes or no. More than likely they will discuss options. I live 2.5 hours away from my clinic so I'm praying they can rescan tomorrow

Well they didn't rescan me but they have decided to drain the cysts so I've got a pre op on the 10th sept and all being well op on the 30th sept. They think 1 of the cysts is linked to endometriosis which explains the pains I get! So overall not a bad day!

I had my baseline scan today and have the same thing. They found a cyst on my left ovary and are hoping it goes away in the next few weeks when they will rescan. Just want to stop thinking about everything and wishing time away but it's so hard not to see progress. I'm in for scan on 5th October. Seems ages! Good luck with your op.

I'm so sorry asterimou 😞 it's a totally gutting feeling isn't it? Have they told you size or type? They didn't bother rescanning me because it turned out I did have them on my previous scan before my baseline so they must have figured it wasn't going away on it's own. We do find we wish time away when going through this whole experience! I know I have! They say it can take 4-6 weeks for a cyst to clear. I hope you next scan gives you the all clear and you can go ahead x

They are not sure of the type but said it was 4cm, but maybe she said mm because that would be massive. She said it was quite big :(

I had 1 that was 4 and the other was 3 but I'm the same, I can't remember if he said mm or cm but my partner is sure he said cm!
Have you had pains or anything?

No pain, would have had no idea it was there without the scan. I just need to stop thinking about it. Let me know how you're op goes, it's good to know than can drain them rather than laparoscopy. A lap would be a long wait I guess.

I literally went for a follow up appointment yesterday n I'm scheduled for Lapo surgery in a month so not a long wait. Think because we were so far along with the ivf they wanted to get me sorted ASAP xx

Congrats on getting the drainage scheduled! That should definitely move things along. It's just the only way to deal with them sometimes.

I'm glad they are sorting me out soon. My periods may improve now too 😊 x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"