dairy free diet question

Cattia

Reaction score
I have now been on a dairy and soya free diet for almost two weeks with no significant improvement because my DS has reflux and colic. I know he has silent reflux because of his symptoms but the Dr just fobbed it off as colic and said that I might as well start back on dairy as if it was anything to do with that it would have cleared up by now.
Do you think it is worth carrying on with the diet or would the reflux be significantly improved by now if it was caused by a cow's milk intolerance?

Didn't want to read and run but don't have any advice. Hope you get some answers :hugs:

I heard it takes a couple of weeks to get out of your system so maybe give it another week just to be sure x

I noticed a small change in the first week or so but didn't get the full effect for probably a month, from what research I did it said about 3 weeks to get out of your system and possibly another 2 to get it out of the babies system completely. Its not a fast process for sure

I'd give it 3-4 weeks and then expect at least a slight improvement, if you're not seeing any improvement at all by then then it's likely dairy and soya are not the problem. Xx

Thanks ladies, I will keep at it then, don't want to undo all my hard work if it might still make a difference. It isn't too bad really apart from the lack of cheese, that is the one thing I find really hard.

It took a week with my LO to see a noticeable improvement and two weeks for a complete improvement. Everyone is different though and it may depend on how severe the allergy is. As the others have said I would give it a bit longer.

You probably are already doing this but just in case make sure you are cutting even the less obvious sources out of your diet. I didn't do this at first. There is a list here which may help https://www.cuh.org.uk/resources/pd...ets/PIN2243_cow's_milk_and_soya_free_diet.pdf

Are you checking the ingredients of absolutely everything you're eating? Derivatives of cows' milk are in a lot of products, so it's not as simple as cutting out dairy alone. I don't know a out this specifically in relation to breast feeding - my husband is allergic so I'm quite aware about cutting out dairy generally speaking.

Some flavours of crisps, for example, contain cows milk derivatives.

I am being pretty careful and making my own bread and cakes so I dont think there will be much, if any dairy slipping through.

Thanks ladies, I will keep at it then, don't want to undo all my hard work if it might still make a difference. It isn't too bad really apart from the lack of cheese, that is the one thing I find really hard.

I don' t eat dairy for animal welfare reasons, it's the cheese I miss! Although there are some half decent substitutes (better in the US). Someone else has already mentioned the less obvious culprits, I didn't check the link but definitely check anything pre-packaged you didn't make yourself. Dairy / milk /lactose is in EVERYTHING. Even crisps. Anything in a package. It seems bizarre to me, and totally unnecessary, but I suppose we have to do something with our milk surpluses. :shrug: It's hard, probably especially if it's not something you feel strongly about. Good luck! :thumbup:

It took a week with my LO to see a noticeable improvement and two weeks for a complete improvement. Everyone is different though and it may depend on how severe the allergy is. As the others have said I would give it a bit longer.

You probably are already doing this but just in case make sure you are cutting even the less obvious sources out of your diet. I didn't do this at first. There is a list here which may help https://www.cuh.org.uk/resources/pd...ets/PIN2243_cow's_milk_and_soya_free_diet.pdf

thank you for the link; its far more relevant to the UK than those that are often posted. Thankfully my LO has seemingly outgrown his dairy allergy (been slowly reintroducing dairy for two weeks now; he has gained 5oz in a few days and had no blood in poo or any other symptoms) but I still try to avoid Soya as it makes me ill; also one of my other LOs is sensitive to dairy and soya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->