'Dangerous' dogs

minichicky

mummy to isaac
Reaction score
Hi ladies
Now I dont know ANYTHING about dogs apart from what I see in the press etc, much more of a cat person myself so I dont know if Im being overly paranoid.
Actually, I hate dogs, am scared of them, I hate them jumping up me, licking me etc and am therfore nervous around them myself.
Now one of my best friends has got a 'Staffie' which in my mind is a 'child eating dog!' (purely from what I have read in the press)
The last year I have kept Isaac away from their house. My dear friend is most understanding and has said she will lock him away etc if we come round but Im uncomfortable with that as in I dont want to put the dog out of his home comfort and if he were to escape whilst we were there he might be angry and more likly to attack.
On the other hand, I have read a lot about these types of dogs and its the owners that shape them to be how they are. My friends are both professionals, look after him well, walk him at least 3 times a day. In fact this dog has been attacked by 2 other dogs in the last unprevoked.
My friends got married this winter and got all new BBQ stuff for pressies and really want us to go over and spend a lot of time with them this summer using it all.
I just dont know what to do. Am I being too paranoid?
Isaac has been around other dogs and is fine, but the older and more curious he gets the more hell want to play which might prevoke him?
Can any one give me any more info?

We have a husky and one of my friends is scared of dogs so whenever they come round with the kids we put the dog in the kitchen so there is 2 closed doors between us. I wouldn't want us having a dog to affect the time we spend with our friends and I'm sure your friend will feel the same if you speak to her. Our dog isn't bothered she just goes to sleep in the kitchen x

I think as long as the owners are treating the dog properly than I'd be fine spending time there, while applying the same logic I'd apply to any dog: don't ever leave the child and the dog alone together, and keep a close eye on them both at all times.

I watch DD and my PILs' Maltese very carefully because he's a known biter and completely undisciplined (they actually think it's funny when he bites, or when he chases my cats around the house), but it doesn't stop me seeing them.

I think that your friends are being very reasonable in offering to keep the dog away from your LO and it would be a shame not to see them and spend time with them, as they obviously really want to spend time with you and are prepared to make sacrifices in order to do so. Also, your friends sound like very responsible dog owners so I really don't think you have a problem IMHO. We grew up with with a Staffordshire Bull Terrior and she was the gentlest dog you could ever wish to meet so no, they're not 'child eating dogs' lol. Dogs bite and attack everyday, but it is only usually dogs like Staffordshire Bull Terriors that get the bad press and make the headlines. My MIL has a Jack Russell and that is a nasty little bugger. I would have trusted our old family pet Staffie with my kids much more than I would ever trust MIL's dog!!

I think it depends on how the dog is being brought up. It sounds fine to me tbh and you will probably find that it will give your LO a quick sniff and leave him alone.

locking the dog away is not going to make to angrier at all if it does affect the dog it will make it sad and whiney but not angry, your lucky to have friends so accomodating. My MIL hates dogs so i always lock to dog away and she doesn't get angry she just gets sad and TBH a dog CAN NOT! run a household it is in the dogs best interest to have the owners boss them and put them wherever they want the dogs have to be put out so they learn they do as their told and that THEY do not run the house so that they can be safer dogs. A dog who gets what they want are very hard to control

i agree with everyone else the dog sounds fine, the only reason people think they are "child easters" is because of the press infact im sure ive ready somewhere your more likely to be attacked my a Lab or a Dal that a staffie.

Top ten dogs that bite
10. Dalmatian
9. Boxer
8. Presa Canario
7. Chow Chow
6. Doberman Pinschers
5. Alaskan Malamutes
4. Huskies
3. German Shepherds
2. Rottweilers
1. Pit Bulls

There not even in the top 10 and number 7 Chow Chow hardly looks like a biter https://mofoyo.com/files/images/5583.preview.jpg

If a paper tried selling a sory abotu a chow chow biting i think people would proberly think its a joke looking at the picture and of course family dog never bite in the eyes of the press only these "mean" looking dogs and its because it sells papers

I own #3 a german shepherd. Also please bear in mind if you never let your child near dogs they will become scared of them and when a person shows they are scared of dogs is when the dogs will Boss you around.

Hun I use to be a dog groomer and can honestly say staffies have given me more face washes than any other dog, I complelty agree that it is the owner who makes the dog! I dont believe there is ever just a bad dog, just bad owners.
I really dont think putting the dog in another room makes them angry at all as another poster said just maybe a little sad. I think going for a BBQ at your friends house is awesome! And she sounds like the type of friend to make you feel comfortable! I wouldn't worry about the dog escaping, unless someone goes into that room the dog cant get out. If you feel badly for the dog maybe bring it a toy or a bone to chew on to keep in occupied? I dont think you shouldnt go to your friends because of the dog hun :hugs:

Hmm, MIL has a Staffie / Boxer cross and brings it to stay with us, she's lovely with Ruby and actually seems to defend her if she thinks OH is playing with Ruby too roughly or something! I was a bit worried at first but I trusted OH and MIL who are experienced with dogs (I'm not) that it'd be OK. Needless to say I wouldn't leave Ruby alone with the dog.

My mum has a staffie and he is the soppiest dog I have ever ever known. Staffs are actually very placid dogs its the owners that make them into monsters which can be any breed. I feel sorry for staffs, they have such a horrid reputation. Also have an Alsation who is equally as soppy!!

how cute is that chow chow pleaseee...my fav breed :)

not my kinda dog but it does just show that in your eyes that "cute" dog is in the top ten you wouldnt expect it.

my doggie

https://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/KinKeH_Lesley_photos/Roxie/SANY0360.jpg
https://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/KinKeH_Lesley_photos/18072010363.jpg

Staffies are lovely dogs, but like other posters has said dogs are what their owners make them x

I used to have a Staffy cross and would have no worries at all about having him around my LO (if I still had him of course)

Like other people have said, they get a bad reputation - but it's the owners themselves who are responsible for the way they turn out.

My Parents have a Rottweiler, he's a GIANT but he's been around my Neice and Nephew when they were babies and he's been around LO too and although he's quite inquisitive I know he'd never ever harm any of them. Yet they are portrayed as dangerous dogs too.

BTW lesleyann (which is my name too! :haha: ) your German Shepherd is GORGEOUS!!

not my kinda dog but it does just show that in your eyes that "cute" dog is in the top ten you wouldnt expect it.

my doggie

That vicious dog is eating your child!!!!!! :haha::haha:

Too cute! Nolan loves his doggy, and chases him all day long. Poor Brutus (the dog) gets rolled on, fur pulled and tongue yanked out of his mouth all day and still loves Nolan.

All dogs are moulded by there owners.
I grew up with Staffies and English Bull Terriers! There lovely dogs and some of the most loving dogs i have ever come across.
xx

my doggie

That vicious dog is eating your child!!!!!! :haha::haha:

Too cute! Nolan loves his doggy, and chases him all day long. Poor Brutus (the dog) gets rolled on, fur pulled and tongue yanked out of his mouth all day and still loves Nolan.

lol just after that picture was taken Lo almost ripped her tongue off it looked like :dohh: bless her she still layed there liek a dope

Dogs are only agressive if people make them!!
My best mate has a german shepherd who is a police dog.
Hes lovely and although he seems aggressive at first because hes a big lump and has huge paws.. Underneath hes a big softy who thinkd hes a lap dog and will try and curl up on ur lap..
My little one loves him and although shes only 6 weeks old she smiles and 'talks' to him.
I look after my 7 month old niece quite a bit and she pulls his fur and crawls after him all the time!

It really is the owners thats the problem not the dogs!

Most dogs get nervous when locked away if they dont know why they are being locked away... So if the dog sees you first (maybe ask them to put him on a lead) then he gets locked in another room he will find it easier to handle 'strangers' being in the house.
X

I'd be careful as even if the dogs playing it can accidentally bit and if the person panics and struggles it might make the dog panic and bit harder etc.
My dog is a right sop but she loves to chase you and I would never ever let her alone with kids as she would just chase them if they ran and get over excited and who knows what could happen if a kid got frightened and started thinking she was being nasty.

My nephew tried to kick her once and ever since then she always tries to bite his foot.

Think I will have to sell her though as don't think it would be safe to have her and a baby.

Definitley think its down to the dog owners, its their job to raise/train the dog. Seems fine to be, obviously don't take your eyes off them theres always a chance even with the most tame dog. chase is a collie cross, he is so affectionate and is jayden's best friend! they love each other to bits, i'd never leave them alone for a second though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->