'Dangerous' dogs

I have had 3 dog bites - alsation (terrified of even now), rough collie (our pet growing up, only a pup and had terminal brain tumor hence the change in behaviour) and a jack russell which mum jokingly said 'attack' to.... it was my aunts and little did mum know it UNDERSTOOD!! that was the worst 'attack' of the all.
I am not a fan of ankle nippers :)
We don't have a dog as OH reckons they all smell but if we did I would respect other peoples fears and also move the dog into another room or in the garden when I have visitors over.
I don't believe a dog is naturally vicious, they are moulded in that way.
Some dogs are high needs - Rottis need lots of attention otherwise like border collies (vvv intelligent) they can become bored and snappy.
I think you are lucky to have such an accomodating friend x

Staffies are no dangerous then any other breed of dog. Labradors are actually more common biters.

If those dogs have no history of aggression are well supervised then personally i would allow them to be around my child rather then shutting them away.

I have 2 dogs but can completely understand why some people are nervous around them. One of my biggest worries is what would i do if i was confronted with a aggressive dog of the lead whilst on a walk with River. Its actually kept me up at night.

how cute is that chow chow pleaseee...my fav breed :)

not my kinda dog but it does just show that in your eyes that "cute" dog is in the top ten you wouldnt expect it.

my doggie

https://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/KinKeH_Lesley_photos/Roxie/SANY0360.jpg
https://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/KinKeH_Lesley_photos/18072010363.jpg

yeh my pet hedgehog is cute but man them spikes hurt lol

Attachments

• mollie.jpg
    mollie.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 3
awww he is cute and oh yes we rescused a baby hedgehog before spikey little buggers lol but they get away with it because there sooo tiny and cute

Thank you so much everyone, some great answers there. you have all helped me be brave and I will ask my friend if we can pop over one weekend for an introduction. Eeeek!

I do hate the bad press certain breeds get. My friend works at a rescue kennels and has been bitten by a golden retriever which most people see as a great family dog.
I think your friends are being more than reasonable. If that was me I'm afraid I would say it's the dogs home, if you don't like it don't come round.

Staffies are actually one of a small number of breeds who are recognised as being good around children so I'd be fine with it and, as with all dogs, just supervise and don't leave them on their own.

Too cute! Nolan loves his doggy, and chases him all day long. Poor Brutus (the dog) gets rolled on, fur pulled and tongue yanked out of his mouth all day and still loves Nolan.

I would be pretty uncomfortable with this to be honest. I think this can be how good dogs end up biting because parents allow their children to poke them and generally do not so nice things to them. Dogs tend to tolerate this very well from young babies, as they would puppies, but once a child turns into a toddler, they will begin to discipline the child by growling etc if the parent doesn't deal with the behaviour. Then the dog gets a reputation for being bad around kids when it's not their fault at all, they just think the discipline is being left for them to deal with.

Aisling isn't allowed do anything to our dogs except pat them and generally do other gentle things as we would and she is told off / moved away if she tries to poke, stand on their paws, tease them with food, all the other things babies and toddlers do :)

I am sure that the dog wont get out, if your friend is putting him away...& its not like you'd be leaving your LO on its own at all :thumbup: Enjoy your time at your friends

I am totally shocked that Boxers 'made' the top 10 biting dogs list! :saywhat: My Boxer is 11 years old & has been with us since my son was 7, then he has seen 2 new babies added to the Family & he adores them all :hugs: He is the best dog you could ask for

The dog isn't going to just attack, that is such a huge myth. Also by playing with the dog won't provoke him to attack either. Dogs love to play. Staffordshire Terriers are no different than any other dog. We have an American Pitbull Terrier, loves our kids, and infact is bred to be a people person. Neither of our dogs, other one is a Rottweiler, has done anything to our kids or any other kids they have come into contact with them. And the press is just that, the press. They are not experts and they normally lie about the truth to make it more read worthy.

i have 3 staffies and they are with me all day with my LO..and they are sooo gentle around her..they let her stroke her and they just lay there!!! my thre love LO they just sit next to her..

to me there isnt a bad breed just bad owners!!

I want to get a puppy and have narrowed it down to either a springer spaniel, golden retriever or english pointer :)

I think it's mostly how the owners bring the dogs up depends on their behaviour.

Staffies are actually one of a small number of breeds who are recognised as being good around children so I'd be fine with it and, as with all dogs, just supervise and don't leave them on their own.

Too cute! Nolan loves his doggy, and chases him all day long. Poor Brutus (the dog) gets rolled on, fur pulled and tongue yanked out of his mouth all day and still loves Nolan.

I would be pretty uncomfortable with this to be honest. I think this can be how good dogs end up biting because parents allow their children to poke them and generally do not so nice things to them. Dogs tend to tolerate this very well from young babies, as they would puppies, but once a child turns into a toddler, they will begin to discipline the child by growling etc if the parent doesn't deal with the behaviour. Then the dog gets a reputation for being bad around kids when it's not their fault at all, they just think the discipline is being left for them to deal with.

Aisling isn't allowed do anything to our dogs except pat them and generally do other gentle things as we would and she is told off / moved away if she tries to poke, stand on their paws, tease them with food, all the other things babies and toddlers do :)

I agree. River gives the dog the same respect we expect the dogs to give her. So she isnt allowed to jump on them or pull them.

I'd be pretty pissed off if someone climbed all over me and hurt how (however unintentional) all day and eventually i'd snap. When a dog does that they get destroyed which imo isnt fair as it shouldnt have been put in that situation in the first place iykwim

my personal opinion is that although 'dangerous dog breeds' can be wonderful loving dogs when treated and controlled properly and effectively with training. they STILL have the aggressive instinct in them, just as an indoor cat wants to chase birds, and in the right situation under the right circumstance, it can and will happen.

there are many stories int he press, and hundreds more not reported about perfectly wonderful loving family pets that suddenly attack a young child/baby without warning.

if i didnt have other animals (ie my 3 cats) and i didnt have LO, then me and my husband wouldnt have an issue taking on a dangerous breed of dog. because to me that would be a perfect situation in which to train and control a dog that could be aggressive. (if we didnt plan on having LO's)

but when i look at my situation and the circumstances surrounding my family life i dont want the responsibility that comes with ensuring the dog and the babys safety and protection.

and yes ANY dog can bite, ANY dog can attack, but those listed as dangerous breeds are more likely to because of the breeding. for me its not a risk i want take.

so to sum it up, id go to your friends house with the guarantee the dog is SECURELY locked away. ie -not just behind a door that either LO can accidentally open/people will be going ina nd out of constantly in which the dog might get past someone.

it sounds like your friend is a very understanding person and wants to spend time with you. i think that is great :)

I want to get a puppy and have narrowed it down to either a springer spaniel, golden retriever or english pointer :)

I love springers, been in my family for years. Daft dogs though, like their mad half hour hehe.

As pp have said its not a bad breed, just bad owners. I own a rottwieler, had a few people comment on how they are "devil dogs" and "demons" and have no place near kids....all because of what they see in newspapers. When they actually meet her, their attitudes change immediatly as she is a big friendly giant who likes to lick you lol. If that was the case for all dogs who attack, bite, nip then no-one would have one!

Please excuse the mess in the background :haha:

Attachments

• Sasha.jpg
    Sasha.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 4
i agree with everyone else the dog sounds fine, the only reason people think they are "child easters" is because of the press infact im sure ive ready somewhere your more likely to be attacked my a Lab or a Dal that a staffie.

Top ten dogs that bite
10. Dalmatian
9. Boxer
8. Presa Canario
7. Chow Chow
6. Doberman Pinschers
5. Alaskan Malamutes
4. Huskies
3. German Shepherds
2. Rottweilers
1. Pit Bulls

There not even in the top 10 and number 7 Chow Chow hardly looks like a biter https://mofoyo.com/files/images/5583.preview.jpg

If a paper tried selling a sory abotu a chow chow biting i think people would proberly think its a joke looking at the picture and of course family dog never bite in the eyes of the press only these "mean" looking dogs and its because it sells papers

I own #3 a german shepherd. Also please bear in mind if you never let your child near dogs they will become scared of them and when a person shows they are scared of dogs is when the dogs will Boss you around.

I'm not surprised that Chows are #7 - I was bitten by one in its yard with its owner there! I actually blacked out and saw stars from the pain.

On the other hand, my parents had a dalmation for 10 yrs and she was the sweetest, most tender dog ever.

i agree with everyone else the dog sounds fine, the only reason people think they are "child easters" is because of the press infact im sure ive ready somewhere your more likely to be attacked my a Lab or a Dal that a staffie.

Top ten dogs that bite
10. Dalmatian
9. Boxer
8. Presa Canario
7. Chow Chow
6. Doberman Pinschers
5. Alaskan Malamutes
4. Huskies
3. German Shepherds
2. Rottweilers
1. Pit Bulls

that list is outdated, its from 2007. new statistic are very different.

heres a list from the USA, that shows some statistics for 2010

the dogs arent listed in order of deaths, but the information is all there

https://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2270/1/?redirectURL=https://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-11-01/dangerous-dogs-ranked-by-breed-pit-bulls-chows-chows-lead/

Hi there, Ive worked with animals all my life, as a vet nurse and now for the RSPCA.

I can honestly say from my experience, a dog 9or any animal) should NOT be judged by the breed but by the temperment and the RSPCA is trying to abolish this 'dangerous dog' act at long last and actually base it on temperment which is damn right!

Staffies are fab, i hvae never met a aggressive one EVER! Infact they are wimps! lol! I have known more nasty aggressive Westies and Jack Russels than bull type dogs!

I would trust my baby around a dog if I knew it well and knew the owners were sensible and had trained it well whether it were a Pit Bull or a Poodle!

Just for a bit of info too, Pit Bulls used to be used by the army, air force and other forces years and years ago and are very loyal loving dogs! Its the media and STUPID owners that have given them a bad rep!

Top ten dogs that bite
10. Dalmatian
9. Boxer
8. Presa Canario
7. Chow Chow
6. Doberman Pinschers
5. Alaskan Malamutes
4. Huskies
3. German Shepherds
2. Rottweilers
1. Pit Bulls

https://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2270/1/?redirectURL=https://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-11-01/dangerous-dogs-ranked-by-breed-pit-bulls-chows-chows-lead/

Sorry to be blunt but this list is Bollox!

Top ten dogs that bite
10. Dalmatian
9. Boxer
8. Presa Canario
7. Chow Chow
6. Doberman Pinschers
5. Alaskan Malamutes
4. Huskies
3. German Shepherds
2. Rottweilers
1. Pit Bulls

Sorry to be blunt but this list is Bollox!

Love it :rofl:

I think any dog has the potential to be dangerous. We have a red setter, she is as crazy as the day is long, is so soft and gets scared even if the wind blows too hard. Although she is a good dog, another of the same breed might have a different temprement, might not have been trained etc. You have to go by each dog as an individual, not discriminate by breed iykwim. I would be cautious of my LO being around any dog, even my own.

I don't think you can say a staff for example is a dangerous dog.
Any breed of dog can be dangerous but alot of it depends on how they are brought up

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->