'Dangerous' dogs

"ban the behavior not the breed" is a motto that is so true. Just because the media makes a breed out to be "dangerous" doesn't mean that breed actually is dangerous...it means the dog was trained/raised to be vicious or was abused or constantly put in situations that make lashing out it's "do whatever to stay alive" response. here in america pit bulls are the current "evil" dog. Pit bulls are some of the most loyal, friendly sweet natured dogs I have ever met. A friend of mine rescued a Pit from a fighting ring and he is the sweetest dog ever, gives the best sloppy kisses! And even though he was trained to fight, the resucers trained it out of him and returned him to a hppy natural state.

Over the years one brand of dog or another has been demonized...english bulldogs were demonized, so were german shepards, doberman pinchers, chow chows etc...and none of these dogs are dangerous from birth. The folly of man made A DOG belonging to a breed dangerous. And to blame an entire breed is ignorant (referring to society in general here, not the OP or anyone else).
I have been bitten/chased by a chiuaha, a mini poodle, and a beagle, and never by so-called danerous dogs.

Staffies are actually one of a small number of breeds who are recognised as being good around children so I'd be fine with it and, as with all dogs, just supervise and don't leave them on their own.

Too cute! Nolan loves his doggy, and chases him all day long. Poor Brutus (the dog) gets rolled on, fur pulled and tongue yanked out of his mouth all day and still loves Nolan.

I would be pretty uncomfortable with this to be honest. I think this can be how good dogs end up biting because parents allow their children to poke them and generally do not so nice things to them. Dogs tend to tolerate this very well from young babies, as they would puppies, but once a child turns into a toddler, they will begin to discipline the child by growling etc if the parent doesn't deal with the behaviour. Then the dog gets a reputation for being bad around kids when it's not their fault at all, they just think the discipline is being left for them to deal with.

Aisling isn't allowed do anything to our dogs except pat them and generally do other gentle things as we would and she is told off / moved away if she tries to poke, stand on their paws, tease them with food, all the other things babies and toddlers do :)

I agree. River gives the dog the same respect we expect the dogs to give her. So she isnt allowed to jump on them or pull them.

I'd be pretty pissed off if someone climbed all over me and hurt how (however unintentional) all day and eventually i'd snap. When a dog does that they get destroyed which imo isnt fair as it shouldnt have been put in that situation in the first place iykwim

Sigh... :coffee:

Obviously I am not sitting here encouraging him to be rough with the dog but for pete's sake he is just going on 10 months old. I was merely trying to point out how rough my little guy can be to my dog and the dog still adores him.

Of course when he pulls his fur, I correct him and tell him to be "gentle" and take his hand and gently stroke the dog. I guess I was trying to be humorous about it, which got lost on you two. If Brutus does not want to play then I keep Nolan away from him, Nolan's safety is number one priority to me. Brutus is very sweet dog that will take his toys and balls and place them in front of Nolan and beg for him to play with him, when he is down playing with Nolan he will hide out on the couch... out of Nolan's reach.

Like I said though, Nolan is only 10 months old... so yes there are occasions where I see Brutus licking Nolan's hand and Nolan grabs his tongue, or when they are both rolling around on the floor, Nolan will roll right on him or grab at him. I correct Nolan and tell him to be gentle and that we love our puppy but it will take some time for him to learn. My dog is like another one of the family so please do not think I just sit there and let Nolan abuse him, that would make me a crap mom and a terrible pet owner.

Best Buds
https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190736_547483053002_59100351_31831149_6509584_n.jpg

https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/184902_546878629272_59100351_31822672_4976912_n.jpg

https://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/164054_545023811342_59100351_31793103_3749261_n.jpg

Hiya 'mrsthomas'...:flower: Is that a cheeky Beagle I spy there!

The only trouble with these internet sites sometimes, people cant see your facial expressions, so take every word written as gospel...Sometimes I have to delete what ive written & word it different, cos when I read it back, it doesnt sound right! iykwim :shrug:

Im sure you are a good mum & pet owner :hugs: Such cute pics, love the one of them looking out the door together .....Too sweet! :kiss:

The only trouble with these internet sites sometimes, people cant see your facial expressions, so take every word written as gospel...Sometimes I have to delete what ive written & word it different, cos when I read it back, it doesnt sound right! iykwim :shrug:

Im sure you are a good mum & pet owner :hugs: Such cute pics, love the one of them looking out the door together .....Too sweet! :kiss:

You are right :thumbup: I just did not want people thinking I did not care about my dog, we refer to him as "big brother" or "hairy brother" to Nolan. :haha:

And cheeky beagle is right, great dog but verrrry sneaky when it comes to food... never ever leave it laying anywhere he can get it, which now included the dining room table. :dohh: He was not very sure of Nolan until we started weaning, now he sits right under the high chair and catches everything. Nolan now does "bite for Nolan, then bite for Brutus" so puppy dog is going on a diet! :haha:

My dog is like another one of the family so please do not think I just sit there and let Nolan abuse him, that would make me a crap mom and a terrible pet owner.

Best Buds
https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190736_547483053002_59100351_31831149_6509584_n.jpg

https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/184902_546878629272_59100351_31822672_4976912_n.jpg

https://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/164054_545023811342_59100351_31793103_3749261_n.jpg

:hugs: I don't think that at all :hugs: It's just that I have seen alot of people who have dogs, love them as members of the family but don't deal with the behaviour appropriately and it ends up turning out badly for everyone and them wondering why the dog has suddenly started growling etc. I guess I've always been firm that our dog is a member of the family but still a dog at the end of the day so they're not allowed "protect" her etc, it's our job to protect Aisling from the dogs and the dogs from Aisling so neither ever has to worry about doing it themselves.

BTW that middle photo is gorgeous :cloud9:

I'm a bit funny with dogs too, I'm ok with some dogs (mainly small ones) but some breeds just put me on edge. I do believe however that if a dog is and has always been treated well and is well trained then, provided the child isn't left unattended with the dog, they will be safe. xxx

You are right :thumbup: I just did not want people thinking I did not care about my dog, we refer to him as "big brother" or "hairy brother" to Nolan. :haha:

And cheeky beagle is right, great dog but verrrry sneaky when it comes to food... never ever leave it laying anywhere he can get it, which now included the dining room table. :dohh: He was not very sure of Nolan until we started weaning, now he sits right under the high chair and catches everything. Nolan now does "bite for Nolan, then bite for Brutus" so puppy dog is going on a diet! :haha:

We have a Boxer (11) & a 'very cheeky' Beagle (9).....

Ive never known a dog to be so mischievious! (sp?) She is fantastic with children, adults, other dogs & cats....But give her a bin & she'll tear it up ~ give her a fence & she'll dig under it, or just break it down! Give her anything leather & she'll eat it up! etc etc etc!!! :dohh: Naughty girl!

Sorry to OP....Going wayyyyyyyy off topic! :blush:

my landlord hates GSD's because he was once bit by one for doing something he should not of done, The only dogs that have every "gone for me" have always been little dogs with big ego's lool like jack russels, cha's, pug's ect all the small dogs big dogs all just want to fuss and cuddle from the ones ive met haha but as said by others its how they are rasied, just like children they are not born bad however they may turn into bad people by being put in the wrong situations ect

Personally I wouldn't have a dog near Daisy. My SIL has a pitbull, my brother has a Shar Pei. They both put them outside when Daisy is there. I'd never take the risk.
ETA- my Grandad has a Westie. That goes outside too. Animals are unpredictable, they're animals, not people.

Staffies are actually one of a small number of breeds who are recognised as being good around children so I'd be fine with it and, as with all dogs, just supervise and don't leave them on their own.

Too cute! Nolan loves his doggy, and chases him all day long. Poor Brutus (the dog) gets rolled on, fur pulled and tongue yanked out of his mouth all day and still loves Nolan.

I would be pretty uncomfortable with this to be honest. I think this can be how good dogs end up biting because parents allow their children to poke them and generally do not so nice things to them. Dogs tend to tolerate this very well from young babies, as they would puppies, but once a child turns into a toddler, they will begin to discipline the child by growling etc if the parent doesn't deal with the behaviour. Then the dog gets a reputation for being bad around kids when it's not their fault at all, they just think the discipline is being left for them to deal with.

Aisling isn't allowed do anything to our dogs except pat them and generally do other gentle things as we would and she is told off / moved away if she tries to poke, stand on their paws, tease them with food, all the other things babies and toddlers do :)

I agree. River gives the dog the same respect we expect the dogs to give her. So she isnt allowed to jump on them or pull them.

I'd be pretty pissed off if someone climbed all over me and hurt how (however unintentional) all day and eventually i'd snap. When a dog does that they get destroyed which imo isnt fair as it shouldnt have been put in that situation in the first place iykwim

Sigh... :coffee:

Obviously I am not sitting here encouraging him to be rough with the dog but for pete's sake he is just going on 10 months old. I was merely trying to point out how rough my little guy can be to my dog and the dog still adores him.

Of course when he pulls his fur, I correct him and tell him to be "gentle" and take his hand and gently stroke the dog. I guess I was trying to be humorous about it, which got lost on you two. If Brutus does not want to play then I keep Nolan away from him, Nolan's safety is number one priority to me. Brutus is very sweet dog that will take his toys and balls and place them in front of Nolan and beg for him to play with him, when he is down playing with Nolan he will hide out on the couch... out of Nolan's reach.

Like I said though, Nolan is only 10 months old... so yes there are occasions where I see Brutus licking Nolan's hand and Nolan grabs his tongue, or when they are both rolling around on the floor, Nolan will roll right on him or grab at him. I correct Nolan and tell him to be gentle and that we love our puppy but it will take some time for him to learn. My dog is like another one of the family so please do not think I just sit there and let Nolan abuse him, that would make me a crap mom and a terrible pet owner.

Best Buds

love the pic off them both lookin out the door..thats sooo sweet

I am not even going to bother replying properly as the owner of 2 staffies ur comment of ur friend owns a 'staffie' is totally insulting if it were a lab would u be so cautious? or a cute little spaniel? why dont you do some real research of the breed then decide and not listen to newspapers.

ps a picture is worth a thousand words

Attachments

• dogs an rosalie 003.jpg
    dogs an rosalie 003.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 7
  • dogs an rosalie 006.jpg
    dogs an rosalie 006.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 10
Hi ya, just thought I would add my bit to this thread.

I'm a veterinary nurse and I own a rescue staffie.
This year I read an article in a vet nurse mag which said that the kennel club only recommend two breeds of dogs that are ok around children one bring a staff and the other a cheasepake bay retriever.

I would never leave my baby alone with my staffie not because I'm worried he will hurt her but worried her will lick her to death! Lol he is so gentle around her and is very protective of her. He even shepherds the cat away from her! Hehe.

My friend has a Jack Russell Terrier who I love to pieces but we do haveto be careful around him and on our guard. He is shut away when we go round there.

I do agree though to not ever leave a baby alone with a dog as they are animals, just the same as when I ride my horse who is as docile as anything and nothing seems to phase him I always wear my hat!

Good thread by the way.

I haven't read all the replies and I am not having a go at the OP

But, tbh it sounds like you need to take yourself in hand a little and get your anxiety under control, or you are going to raise a child who is scared of dogs for no reason. To expect all dogs to 'attack' just because they are a certain breed or size is shear stupidity. In the majority of cases dogs are wonderful loyal companions.

Yes there are breeds that are more prone to aggression, but it is largely due to a combination of unsuitable temperament mixed with bad ownership or the fact they are large and powerful, if a rottie grabs a baby its going to do damage - its a 8st dog for gods sake!! But that doesnt mean a toy poodle is any 'nicer' its just less powerful!!

Talk to your friend, go visit the dog yourself and make an effort to get to know him, staffie or not! Your bubba deserves to grow up knowing and liking dogs, respecting them is important, but baselessfear is not.

We own a springer, I trust him implicitly and it makes me so so sad when I see kids 'duck' away when passing him in the street.

OP - I'm not having a go at you, but you need to get this fear under control, I own a dog and I still don't like strange dogs - but I wont have my daughter growing up scared because of my hang ups!

Personally I wouldn't have a dog near Daisy. My SIL has a pitbull, my brother has a Shar Pei. They both put them outside when Daisy is there. I'd never take the risk.
ETA- my Grandad has a Westie. That goes outside too. Animals are unpredictable, they're animals, not people.

To be honest people are more unpredictable, check the number of random attacks on humans from other humans agasint dogs and dogs would be the lest of your worries, people being beaten up over pushchair spaces and being the wrong colour ect, dog normally attack because they feel threatend, are in pain, or have been mistreated.

I would have trusted our old family pet Staffie with my kids

totally agree. we have a staffy and she's the most loving, gentle, sweet dog I've ever known. she's never so much as bared her teeth at another dog and when she got attacked by our neighbours staffy, my OH had to pick her up out the way cuz she wouldn't fight back..its true they have a bad name but its also true that its the owners who shape the staffy...theyre not born vicious! We were a bit worried MOlly would be jealous of Eli (before he was born she was my baby) but she absolutely loves him. she lies near his Moses basket and looks worried when he cries..go to your friends house. if theyre willing to shut the dog out, let them altho I'm sure the dog is fine provided they look after it well :)

I dont trust ANY animal near Ava... They are unpredictable, and I just wouldn't take that risk for her, just as I wouldn't leave her with an unpredictable human..

I rehomed my staffie when ava was born and when she is round mils (who has 2 staffies) they are not allowed in the room with her at all, if I found out they had been anywhere near her, she wouldn't be going round there again. Nothing to do with staffies- I'd be the same with any dog! It's just not worth the risk IMO

I get that people don't 100% trust dogs, thats understandable, but not letting them in the room with LO, if its a well behaved pet; why?
You are honestly never going to allow your LO in a room/garden with a dog?

Currently i'm sat on the sofa, LO is in her swing tooting away, Hobbes is in his bed (by distance hes actually closer to her than I am) ... should I really be putting him outside or not having him in the room with her?!? Thats silly.

To be honest people are more unpredictable, check the number of random attacks on humans from other humans agasint dogs and dogs would be the lest of your worries, people being beaten up over pushchair spaces and being the wrong colour ect, dog normally attack because they feel threatend, are in pain, or have been mistreated.

Well I wouldn't let a random stranger come and sit with me and my baby either. I don't think my friends or family are likely to try and bite Daisy if she does something they don't like.

I don't think it's silly though, I wouldn't have it in the room if I wasn't holding her no, in a swing away from arms reach could you really stop anything happening if your dog turned on her?

I'm not trying to be nasty, that's just my opinion x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->