dates question, confusing myself so much!!

gingajewel

Mommy to Megan
Reaction score
The first day of my last period was 29th July 2015, so would that make me six weeks pregnant today?
Also if I go for a scan when i am eight weeks pregnant using this date, will it show a six week fetus as I obviously wasn't pregnant when I was on my period or will it technically be measured at eight weeks? I'm so confused, please help!!

It easier for them to use the first day of your last period. They will date itrhat way. Yes the fetus will be 2 weeks earlier but that's not how they date it. Ignore actual fetus age and go by lmp (last menstrual period)

I think it also depends on your cycle length; my LMP was July 31st and I have a 32 day cycle, so I'm only 5+1 weeks. You could have also implanted later. Dates are kind of a guesswork anyway; a lot of babies tend to come when they're ready, and not when the doctor says they should. :haha:

If your dates get changed at the scan, don't panic - I was pushed back a full 9 days with DD. She was still late even after that!

Thankyou 😃 see that's what I dont understand, surely it doesn't matter if I implanted late as if they go by your first day if your last period then I'm always going to be six weeks pregnant?
I have another child and I don't remember confusing myself this much lol!!

It just depends on how they choose to date your pregnancy. With DD they went by LMP until I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks which showed I wasn't that far along, and after that my EDD was based on how she measured.

It is all so confusing! :haha:

It actually technically depends on when you ovulated. .. you could add two weeks to your ovulation date, but since most people don't know that they go by lmp and then adjust accordingly if needed!! So they typically just assume you ovulate on CD 14 with a perfect 28 day cycle and 14 day luteal phase!

Ahhh thank you, it makes sense now! Hoping to get an early scan so am guessing I shouldn't worry if they put me back a few days as it depends when I ovulated (plus two weeks?)

It's pretty standard to use your LMP to date pregnancy. So the first day of your period you are 1 day pregnant. 1 week later, (end of period) you're 1 week pregnant. True, on your period you are not actually pregnant, it's just the easiest most universal way to date pregnancy since not many women know when they ovulate (and thus conceive). so yes, today you are technically 6weeks pregnant - though the baby has only been there 4 weeks. This assumes you have a perfect 28 day cycle, ovulated on day 14... If you ovulated later, they might change your due date. In my dr office the baby has to measure more than 5 days different to change due date. So, I'm 12w5d today by my LMP but baby is actually measuring 4 days bigger... So I might have ovulated earlier. But they are keeping my due date based on LMP. It doesn't really matter much, like everyone said, baby will come when ready :)

Good luck at your scan!

I am confused by this as well. I had a scan at 5+5 due to bleeding and they saw nothing to indicate pregnancy. and she said that this was what she was expecting. I'm technically 6 weeks now but if I go by embryonic age the baby is only 3 weeks. My LMP was July 28, O'd on Aug 13 and I'm pretty sure I implanted on Aug 19 (although that isn't definite I have 2 things that correlate to say that I did). The baby itself would have been only 18 days into growing during the scan. I highly doubt anything would have been seen. Oh and I also have 35 day cycles and my LP is 18 days.
It's still not confirmed the outcome (and I'm still bleeding) but I have my "7 week" scan next tuesday and I am hoping to see something then.
I'm wondering if I tell them all of this info then if they will in turn do more scans (unless they want more blood tests to see if my levels are growing) and figure out that I am not actually 7 weeks pregnant but more like 4 or 5. Which would make my levels make more sense too. It was 365 on sunday which fit into what 4 weeks would be and not 6.

I am confused by this as well. I had a scan at 5+5 due to bleeding and they saw nothing to indicate pregnancy. and she said that this was what she was expecting. I'm technically 6 weeks now but if I go by embryonic age the baby is only 3 weeks. My LMP was July 28, O'd on Aug 13 and I'm pretty sure I implanted on Aug 19 (although that isn't definite I have 2 things that correlate to say that I did). The baby itself would have been only 18 days into growing during the scan. I highly doubt anything would have been seen. Oh and I also have 35 day cycles and my LP is 18 days.
It's still not confirmed the outcome (and I'm still bleeding) but I have my "7 week" scan next tuesday and I am hoping to see something then.
I'm wondering if I tell them all of this info then if they will in turn do more scans (unless they want more blood tests to see if my levels are growing) and figure out that I am not actually 7 weeks pregnant but more like 4 or 5. Which would make my levels make more sense too. It was 365 on sunday which fit into what 4 weeks would be and not 6.

The gestational sac is always visible on ultrasound by week 5. Week 6 it is measureable, and week 7 there's a heartbeat.
Yes, if ur hcg was 365 as of Sunday there's no possiblr way ur dates are correct. The most you could be would be 4 weeks total (since day 1 of lmp). By week 5 your hcg should be over 3000
Good luck! :hugs:

Thanks. Now I just wait for more blood work and another ultrasound just to be sure.

This has got me summit rotten this last week and this is my 3rd
I went for an early scan on wed
Should of been 8+1 by lmp
But baby only measured 6 weeks no heartbeat
I would be 6+5 weeks by ov
I no I ovulated day 13 which is early for me usually day 18 with a short 11 day lp

I see the sonography wrote that baby measures 19 mm
Reading on here baby grows a mm a day from 4 weeks , makes me 6+5
Talk about confused

Confirmed that there was no gestational sac. Hcg was only 31 yesterday. I have lost the baby.
I hope everyone has a happy and healthy 9 months and that the scans get figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->