Dating scan accuracy and lax doctors

MamaByrd

Cautiously pregnant with #2
Reaction score
This is my first pregnancy, and I'm 7+2. My boyfriend wants a dating scan done because we weren't necessarily together when I conceived. He's the only one I've been with, so I know it's his, but how reliable are dating scans? I've heard people saying their scans were off and I'm afraid if OH hears an odd date he may worry...

Second, I've been dealing with my insurance, trying to find a PCM, etc. It seems like every hospital I've talked to seems so lackadaisical! My hospital said they'd call me to schedule a referral appointment on TUESDAY! Is it okay that I won't be seeing a doctor at all until week 10ish!? I'm freaking out over here!

First off, does he understand that when they say you're "7+2" they are counting back to the first day of your last period-- which would be 2 full weeks before you actually conceived?

Every pregnancy begins (officially) two weeks before the sperm ever meets the egg. Doctors count it that way for dating purposes (since most women do not know when then ovulate, but do know when their last period was), and even if you can't remember when your last cycle was... they will still give you a date based on your "last menstrual period".

Right now I am 14 weeks pregnant. We had sex to conceive this baby 12 weeks ago. The other two weeks are counted from the first day of my period until when I ovulated (and therefore conceived).

Furthermore, even if they say you ovulated on say, May 20th. There is a slight margin of error allowed with these scans-- of up to a few days on either side. ALSO, you could have ovulated on say, April 16th, but only had sex on April 11th. Sperm can live inside you for several days within the right conditions, so that can throw exact dates out the window too.

Hope that helps!

Thank you, Isme! Yes, I understand that technically the baby is 5 weeks but I'm 7 weeks pregnant. He, on the other hand, is having a harder time with this idea lol.

He's just mildly concerned, and I understand. We weren't together at the time. But, I just hope the doctor doesn't throw out some random date and scare away baby daddy :haha:

My LMP started April 11th. We got "back together" from the 22nd-on.

If your LMP was April 11th, then you would have technically conceived within the timeframe of you guys being "back together". Hope he's able to wrap his head around it. (I know seasoned mothers who still find it confusing. LOL) I don't think the doctors could throw out a date that's too crazy considering your timeline. At this point, the baby is more likely to appear younger than it actually is, and not older.

Also, it is fine if you don't see a doctor before week 10. Most doctors and midwives would prefer not to see you much before then anyway.

Okay that makes me feel much better! Obviously this is my first pregnancy and I always imagined that as soon as I got a bfp i'd have to run to the doctor! Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->