decidual or period? please share your experience

maybebab

Reaction score
Going with the path of least resistance, I'm not pregnant. Had sex with a condom on May 7th, and I'm 41 and certainly wasn't trying to get pregnant. I've had 2 periods (or decidual bleeding?) and 2 negative hpt. Still. Had majorly swollen breasts immediately after would be conception date, have had pregnancy like dreams (crazy vivid like I have only when pregnant- I have 2 kids), and very mild but unrelenting all day morning sickness. I know other things can cause nausea, but this has that flavor of morning sickness. Could totally be phantom/psychological, and to some extent I'm just going to have to wait and see. I keep trying to just tell myself I'm not, but really have a feeling that I am, and know my body pretty well.

So my question is this. I've seen some people swear they had "regular periods" all through pregnancy, and some sites that say decidual bleeding should only be lighter than a period, closer to spotting. My two bleeds have been heavy, though just a tad lighter than usual periods and smell funny (have that very distinct metallic smell that you sometimes taste in pregnancy, which I have also tasted a couple times). If any of you have had full bleeds during pregnancy, please share your story. Did you continue with a healthy pregnancy? Miscarry? Problems with baby? I don't think I can get a definite answer on my own body right now (I'm not into ultrasounds, though buying a doppler soon), but looking for anecdotal evidence as to the possibilities at the time being. Thanks.

Can you just go to your GP and ask for a blood test? Or even a walk in clinic, especially before buying a doppler? I know this isn't what you were asking for, but I just can't imagine driving myself crazy not knowing (speaking for myself; not sure if it's making you crazy or not LOL) when it'd be so easy to get an answer. Oh, and I was 46 when I had my daughter, not trying, so.....Good luck and hope it turns out the way you want!

My honest opinion is you should see a doctor and ask for bloods. I know there are ladies who don't get a positive urine test but it really is extremely rare. Plus your chances of being pregnant are slim as you did use contreception and you are still having periods even if they seem different to what you normally experience. I personally dont think buying a doppler will help and it really can't diagnose a pregnancy accurately especially as you would only be around 9 weeks. Id go and request bloods to give yourself a clear straightforward answer. It won't do you any good to dwell on a possibility and if you are expecting you will need antenatal care for yourself and baby. Good luck and I hope you get the outcome your hoping for.

Yes, I can get a blood test, and I will soon. It is kind of crazy making- I keep going back and forth about whether it's worth it to do anything, sometimes I think it must all be in my mind. Also, a home use doppler, 2nd hand on craigslist, is only 20 bucks, way less than a doctor visit (budget is a huge thing). I think I can get a blood test at PP, but I've read all this stuff about cryptic pregnancies and that basically, sometimes the body doesn't think it's pregnant (older moms is one reason for this, lower hormones), which is why it's still bleeding, and there won't be enough hormone in the urine or blood to read as pregnant. Anyway short answer, yes I will get one soon!

my other symptom is incredible fatigue. I struggle with fatigue anyway, but it has increased drastically in the last couple months for no other apparent reason. again, could be something else but one of many things that can point to pregnancy

thanks scout and maryanne for the encouragement- I'll go ahead and make an appointment. Maryanne- the rarity of it is what I'm trying to figure out- it's not talked about much in the literature but am seeing a lot of anecdotal info suggesting it might be otherwise, or at least more than I'd expect. And certainly stories of people with neg blood tests who turned out to be pregnant. But yeah a blood test is a place to start.

I wasn't being horrible or anything, and I'm in no way a doctor, it's not my place to say your not. I just like to be honest. I do genuinely hope you get the result your hoping for.

I didn't think you were being horrible at all, I genuinely meant thanks for the reply. As far as the result I wish for, I'm quite conflicted about it.

Maryanne, I didn't think you were being horrible at all, I really meant thank you for the reply. As to what I want, I'm quite conflicted.

That's ok. Just didn't want anything I said to come across as bitchy as it's certainly not how I intended it to be. Hopefully you can get a blood test soon and a clear answer so you can relax :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->