Decisions!

MummyKP

Reaction score
Me again, sorry!

Had a day off work today and got me thinking about our future.

Bit of a breakdown on our life right now:

Newlyweds, in rented two bed property in a very nice area, I'm in a new career so not entitled to SMP if we conceive when hoping to, so just maternity allowance, hubby is employed but hoping to change career.

So starting to think about the next 12 months, which we are hoping to expand our family, and thinking about our home conditions. We live away from family and in quite an expensive area, but what we pay for our property is pretty good considering the size, location and brand new build. It's only two bed, which for most couples is fine as there's a room for the baby, and a room for us, but my hubby currently uses the spare room for his own office where he works a lot for his hopefully successful career.

Obviously baby will be in with us for the first few months, but hoping when they get to 5 months they can go into their own room. However, I can't take hubby's office off him, and we can't really afford a three bed roomed property whilst I'm only receiving MA, so I've been trying to think of ways around it. Anyone been in this situation before? Or got any ideas around this? We could fit baby's things in the spare room with DHs equipment but that would really be the last resort as sometimes he works late in the evenings which he wouldn't be able to do if baby was in there. I know I am thinking WAY ahead here, but whilst WTT I'm considering EVERYTHING! I'm so stuck on this situation I don't really know how we can get around it :/

This seems a bit silly but I just felt like I needed to get it off my chest and maybe get some advice off fellow ladies

Do you have any other rooms like a dining room that could become the office?

No it's not separate from our kitchen which is a pain. We've got some good storage cupboards but he's not keen to move his stuff in there. We've just had a chat now, and I'm quite happy for baby to go in there after 5 months or so, and he was also happy with this and said we'll do all we can to make it as nice as possible. I imagine by the time baby is 1 and I'm back in work full time we will move somewhere bigger so it'll only be temporary!

Babies are tiny little things! They'll want to be with you for the first few months, like you said. And even though we dress up their nurseries and fuss over things like that...they don't care! Your little one won't mind sharing the office if your hubby doesn't mind. :) I'm sure you'll figure it out! We always managed to maneuver things like that in the end. When having a kiddo, those little things aren't as big as you think they are. I promise!

Thanks ottergirl, I feel much better about it after your comment and having a chat with hubby. Considering two weeks ago he barely spoke about children and used to roll his eyes every time I bought it up, he's come round to the idea pretty well and I'm hoping we will start TTC at Christmas. Have had a day of clearing out stuff from his office and there's definitely enough room in there for his stuff plus baby's :) and we've got built in wardrobes which are a great space saver rather than buying baby a wardrobe. Feeling lucky to have a hubby who's willing to share his beloved office with a tiny little baby :) lol. It will only be temporary as I said, more than likely move by the time he/she reaches 10-12 months.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->