Decongestant... What's safe?

KayCee114

Mummy to Grace <3
Reaction score
I have a very blocked nose as part of a cold/ virus type thing that I have got.

I have seen on the back of lemsip boxes that pregnant women can't take thos things, but I wondered what is safe to take. I heard that I can't use vicks nasal spray, but just wondered if the inhailer is ok. There doesn't seem to be any warnings on it.

It seems to be the only thing that's stopping me having a reasonable night sleep at the moment!

Thanks!

Xxx

I would talk to a pharmacist or doctor before taking anything hun! Hope you are feeling better.

I would not take anything. You could try steam. Boil some water and put your head over it with a towel over your head and the pot/bowl of steaming water and breath. The towel traps the steam so that you can avoid burning yourself by getting too close to the water.

I spoke to my pharmacist first but have an olbas oil inhalant!
Just to put a few drops on a tissue. He said aslong as i was only inhaling it then it was okay x

Here's a link that gives a lot of details.. looks like decongestants aren't a problem..

https://www.gotomydoc.com/pregnancy/safemeds/learn/decon/index.html

I'm just getting over a cold & all I wanted was to neck Night Nurse!! I went to the chemist and she said that I could only use the vicks nasel inhaler and olbas oil... EVERYTHING stank of olbas oil for a few days!! You can have paracetamol but I read in Emma's diary to try and use it as infrequently as possible in the first tri...

Hope you feel better soon,

xx

https://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev097pr___.png

You may find it's a pregnancy symptom. I've had sniffles and bocked noses ever since I got pregnant. Midwife says it's to do with the sinuses relaxing and not doing their job properly. It's worse when laying down and can cause your mouth and throat to dry out as you end up sleeping with mouth open to breathe. I find extra pillows to ellevate top half of body really helps xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"