Definately doing it now

Linzi

Prodest mummy ever
Reaction score
The funny thing is Ive put off posting this for a while as Ive been worried about the stick Ill get for weaning my son at 4 months. So no judgement please, just advice. It not a growth spurt as this has been going on since end of August (Waking every hour through the night, feeding every 2). We've tried giving him formula, even hungry baby formula (which he takes and throws none up) so Im guessing he must be hungry.

Plus he's dropped from the 50th to the 25th percentile line.

We have started to give Seth mashed banana and rusks (seperately... e.g. one day he'll have banana, one day he'll have a rusk) before one of his main feeds every day.

How much should he haveof each? So far he usully has about 1/4 a banana or 1/4 of a rusk because im worried about overfeeding but he still has 8oz milk (formula) afterwards?

Also are there any other ideas of food I can give im at 4 months? He didnt like baby rice.

Thanks.

The amounts you are giving him sound about right hun

Apple, pear etc.. are good fruits
peas, carots brocolli and cauli are good vegies as well

You could always change these with either the boxes or an odd jar of porridge if you like I'd say a jar would last you 2/3 days with the quantity you are giving him

The only advice I have is I think you're meant to start them on veg because fruit is sweet.

Hmm, I've started giving caitlyn bits on the odd day to find out what she likes and to give her tastes. If you're wanting to make your own food i would recommend Annabel Karmels book for weaning recipes. Alternatively, there's some online https://www.annabelkarmel.com/age-range/babies-6-9-months/recipes/weaning_recipe_apple_pear_vanilla

Also, i find giving foods individually helpful at first to test for reaction

Good luck

xxx

Oh yeah, and good luck and have fun! Totally dreading it myself.. :dohh:

thanks not sure what sort of veg to give him though? the only reason he has banana is because its so soft.

any ideas?

xxx

oops missed the veggies thing off jo's post! sorry x

toria - he's actually picked it up really easily, he's never spat any of it out and he seems to love it. Although he gets angry when he has to wait for the spoon to come back lol

xxx

Boiled carrots, mushy peas, I bought a blender from Mothercare to puree things.

My MIL said she used to give hers mashed up peas and carrots (seperate of course) perhaps you could try that?

toria - he's actually picked it up really easily, he's never spat any of it out and he seems to love it. Although he gets angry when he has to wait for the spoon to come back lol

xxx

That's how I knew Caitlyn wasn't ready she thought the spoon was going to kill her.. :rofl:

bless her

he had his first mouthful of banana, swallowed it then giggled for about 10 mins lol

xxx

Try carrot and sweet potato, boil em and mash em to the death! Or get a little blender :rofl:

Make sure you get pics for us!

I found the best and easiest thing to do was to make extra of whatever veg you are having, blitz it then freeze it in icecube trays No salt though with babies food :)

1 icecube block will be plenty for him at the minute

hi linzi,

i started giving tommy a bit of baby rice, however...yuk it was gross *i tasted it* he took it really well but then looked at me all confused and bits dribbled out of his mouth...so i changed him to a quater of a rusk with a bit of his milk..he SOO loved it he was almost headbutting the spoon he got tht excited..it is such a small amount i gave him tht 3 times a day in the end....then upped it to half a rusk, now i have given him some hienz baby porriddge in the purple glass jars...a jar lasts me about 3 days as he has about 2 teaspoons 2 or 3 times a day...i have dropped his formula by an oz when he has food but sometimes he only wants half of his milk after some food, sometimes he wont have any and cries for more "proper food" so to speak, the little tinker....

Its all such a trial and error process working out what they want...i would say stick with one thing for a couple of days though to see how their digestion system copes, *i remember with maddy carrotts gave her terrible runny poop* but i didnt know it was that as i was giving her a mixture of things and had to then give her one thing over 2 days as process of illimination. until i found the culprit..
Il probarbly give him some apple and blackcurrant baby rice next week, see how he gets on and gradually introduce new tastes flavours and textures...
IT MUST BE SO EXCITING FOR THEM!!!

i hope hes not like mommy and likes sweet foods though.. i dont want a little porker on my hands lol

good luck

let us know how you get on

h x

Hey linzi, I started Skye on solids a few weeks ago now, she went about 2 weeks being very unsettled, I wasnt sure at first if the food was making a difference but she definetly seems a lot more settled for the past week or so, and she really seems to enjoy it, she grabs the spoon and shoves it in her mouth, sucks all the food off :) I give her dried baby banana cereal mixed with expressed breast milk, or cooled boiled water in the morning, and at night Ive started giving her half a rusk, again either mixed with milk or water. Another good veggie I heard was parsnip, going to buy some today and give it a try.

xxx

:lol: He wont get over that either! Colton still does it. He will start hollaring if I'm taking longer than he "allows".

I dont know if it's necessarily better to start them on fruit/veggies. I start Colton on fruits, and currently he likes more of the veggies than he does the fruits. But every baby will be different.

I've always just fed Colton whatever he wanted. Although I didn't do more than 2oz until about 3 weeks ago (2oz is the amount in a stage 1 jar) when I switched him to stage 2 completely. I know it's different when you make your own (because you dont necessarily measure out the ounces) though; so that may be no help.

Well today was the first day max tried mixed vegies I made myself
carrots, peas, sweet potatoe and boy what a mess :)

BTW max was weaned at 3months by dr orders :) he too thought the spoon would kill him but now hes much better he sees the spoon and opens his mouth ..if im not quick enough i get the pouting look :)

Attachments

• Picture 082.jpg
    Picture 082.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 10
I always do orange veggies first. Bananas have a constipating effect and apples have a 'loosening' effect on their bowels so I avoid those for a while. Pears for fruit, orange veggies and very diluted cereals.

I've never understood the logic behind no fruit first due to sweetness as breastmilk is one of the sweetest foods there is for a baby :)

Seth tried mashed potato which he liked and peas which he wasnt too keen lol Just keep trying I guess!

Thanks for the tips :)

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"