Delayed cord cutting /clamping

Estesbaby

Reaction score
Curious if any of you ladies have looked into this or have done it before. I've been doing some research on the topic and seem to only find positive and good things that come with waiting to cut the cord, until it stops pulsating.

Am I missing something or is it really what everything says it is, very beneficial? Obviously if there is an emergency with the baby that's a different story, but as long as baby and mom are fine I haven found anything negative.

I plan to talk to my OB about it later on, and I'm hoping she won't act like I'm the first person to have ever brought this up... She isn't a super old doctor or anything but I get the impression she is set in her ways which makes me feel awkward bringing things like this up.

Advice, experience?

https://m.acog.org/Resources And Pu...rd Clamping After Birth.aspx?IsMobileSet=true

Interesting article from a reliable source.

I have full intentions on waiting for the cord to stop pulsating before clamping, there's no negatives so why not, right? That was the plan with DD, but she didn't cry right away, the cord was wrapped around her foot on the way out so my midwife clamped and my mom cut right away. No big deal, if something happens again with this baby, then cut away, but in a perfect birth.. we're gonna wait :)

Okay, this is not exactly the answer your looking for, and it may be odd I am saying this on a human pregnancy chat, but here it goes.

I worked on a horse breeding farm for several years through middle school and high school, and have had two foals from my own mares. In horses, if you assist with the birth you NEVER cut the cord on the foals. You let mom and foal lay there, and when the foal starts trying to stand, it will break on it's own. This is so the foal gets the oxygen from the blood still pulsing through to them. It's way cool to feel, and it's about a 2 to 5 min. Process. If you cut the cord, or it breaks to soon due to complication, you get what some people call a 'dummy colt'. I am sure their is a name for it, but old ranchers is where I learned :happydance:
Anyway, it's quite sad, because the foals don't make it most of the time. They litterally have low or no oxygen to the brain. They never learn to nurse well, or can't get standing, and have a hard time with life. I saw it happen once, and the owner was able to keep him going for 3 days or so. But it was a full time job, and it was just sad.

Anyhow, I understand we are humans, and they are animals, but from life experiance it's something I plan to talk to my doctor as well (mind you he told my OH that he would be in doing paperwork and OH was gonna deliver baby :wacko: ). And I believe it makes since to let baby get that blood, if the cord is pulsing it means the blood is ment to go there. I think.

https://m.acog.org/Resources And Pu...rd Clamping After Birth.aspx?IsMobileSet=true

Interesting article from a reliable source.

Thank you! That's helpful, a different conclusion then what I've found so far!

Delaying the cord, provides baby with all their additional blood. By cutting the cord, your essentially taking away from their blood supply/iron supply , and there is reports that it may also boost their healths in new studies.

"As long as the cord is unclamped, the average transfusion to the newborn is equivalent to 21% of the neonate’s final blood volume and three quarters of the transfusion occurs in the first minute after birth…There is now considerable evidence that early cord clamping does not benefit mothers or babies and may even be harmful…Both the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) have dropped the practice [of early cord clamping] from their guidelines. "

https://www.childbirthwithlove.com/controversy.html

Okay, this is not exactly the answer your looking for, and it may be odd I am saying this on a human pregnancy chat, but here it goes.

I worked on a horse breeding farm for several years through middle school and high school, and have had two foals from my own mares. In horses, if you assist with the birth you NEVER cut the cord on the foals. You let mom and foal lay there, and when the foal starts trying to stand, it will break on it's own. This is so the foal gets the oxygen from the blood still pulsing through to them. It's way cool to feel, and it's about a 2 to 5 min. Process. If you cut the cord, or it breaks to soon due to complication, you get what some people call a 'dummy colt'. I am sure their is a name for it, but old ranchers is where I learned :happydance:
Anyway, it's quite sad, because the foals don't make it most of the time. They litterally have low or no oxygen to the brain. They never learn to nurse well, or can't get standing, and have a hard time with life. I saw it happen once, and the owner was able to keep him going for 3 days or so. But it was a full time job, and it was just sad.

Anyhow, I understand we are humans, and they are animals, but from life experiance it's something I plan to talk to my doctor as well (mind you he told my OH that he would be in doing paperwork and OH was gonna deliver baby :wacko: ). And I believe it makes since to let baby get that blood, if the cord is pulsing it means the blood is ment to go there. I think.

We are humans and they are animals, true. But they are MAMMALS and we are MAMMALS, this is actually a PERFECT comparison :)

I asked my OB if we'd be able to delay clamping as there is two and I'll be having a section most likely and she said that she can't wait for it to stop pulsating as they need to make sure they're both ok but she said that she does 'milk' the cord and helps the blood flow a bit faster. I feel any extra blood is great so I'm pretty happy I'll get that. (My previous OB just flat out said no)

There should be no reason why a cord couldn't be left to pulsate. Even in Emergency situations, it is much better for baby to still be attached to its back-up life source while being worked on, on mums bare skin to regulate temperature.

We'll be having it. Didn't manage it with my first as I didn't know about it to request it. I'm much better informed this time. :flower:

Same with dogs, if mum doesn't burst the bag you burst it but don't cut and tie cord for 5 mins unless pup yap or squeak

Oh and as a human birth the midwives weren't in any big rush to cut but he stopped breathing and there was this mega rush suddenly

We'll be doing delayed cord clamping. Ideally i would love a lotus birth but it's not practical...

My midwife group said their practice is to do skin to skin and clamp/ cut once baby is acclimated to be outside the womb.

Thanks girls! I appreciate your replies, I do think I'll be mentioning it to my doctor.

I'm going to ask about it, I didn't even know about it until I was looking at writing a birth plan through my phone app (it gives you suggestions of what to put into the plan, which was helpful for me) and it mentioned it in there! I think I'd rather delay it until it's stopped pulsating, more beneficial for the baby after all.
How long does it generally take for the cord to stop pulsating?

I'm going to ask about it, I didn't even know about it until I was looking at writing a birth plan through my phone app (it gives you suggestions of what to put into the plan, which was helpful for me) and it mentioned it in there! I think I'd rather delay it until it's stopped pulsating, more beneficial for the baby after all.
How long does it generally take for the cord to stop pulsating?

I think they recommend a minimum of 3-5 minutes.

No chance of delayed cutting here as they were worried DD had aspirated meconium - so cord was cut by DH and she was whipped away at high speed to see a paediatrician, thankfully she was fine but I didn't get to hold her for what seemed like ages but in reality was about 8 minutes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->