deli meat?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by rocky1215, Nov 15, 2011.

1. rocky1215

rocky1215 Well-Known Member

Are you ladies all sticking to the no deli meat rule? What about from places like Panera or Subway? I normally don't love deli meat, but it's like now that I can't have it, it's all I want, even more then a glass of wine.

2. Babbabe

Babbabe Well-Known Member

I am not eating it cold, when I have subway I have the chicken and have it heated up really hot

3. bananaz

bananaz Well-Known Member

I am sticking to it for the most part. I did have a turkey sandwich to be polite at OH's grandma's house, and I've gotten a couple deli meat subs as takeout and then just heated the meat in the microwave.

I don't think I would go into Subway and eat a sandwich with cold cuts, simply because I don't know what their food handling procedures are and I'd have to imagine all of the meat gets cross-contaminated when the servers are making sandwiches.

4. MyMomToldMe

MyMomToldMe Well-Known Member

I've only had one deli meat sandwich from Costco.

I did buy roasted and sliced turkey from a store. I heated it up and made turkey sandwich (like after Thanksgiving).

5. rocky1215

rocky1215 Well-Known Member

We are having a catered lunch at work tomorrow. Hoping theres tuna or veggie sandwiches. Although I would love a smoked turkey, but I would feel guilty if I somehow got listeria.

6. notmommyyet

notmommyyet Well-Known Member

Tuna isnt good for you. Something is in it.

Also what is the deli meat rule cause ive been eating lots of it?

7. albs

albs Well-Known Member

tuna's fine. people just worry about the possibility of mercury so if you're really worried the books i've read say only have it a couple of times a week. I've been trying not to have deli meat unless it's heated up in a toasted sandwich or on a pizza, but i've not gone too crazy. I've had a couple of work things where they've had sandwiches and there's been no other option. i'm not going to not eat just to avoid a slice of ham and my doctor totally agrees. i'd say try and avoid it but don't make your life revolve around it, and if you're really craving it, go for the best quality stuff you can. if you take every piece of advice out there i'm not sure what would be left to eat...

8. MountainDoula

MountainDoula Well-Known Member

Tuna is a problem because of mercury. You can have it, only a couple times a week though. Definitely ok for lunch every once in a while.

As for deli meat - you should heat it before you eat it. Don't worry if you haven't been. I had the same question a few weeks ago. In some countries it isn't even on the "do not eat list". And I bet it wasn't when our moms were pregnant. But to be on the safe side, pop it in the microwave until it steams.

:)

I eat deli meat - big time! Turkey sandwiches with lots of veggies and TONS of pickles is the only healthy thing I really want sometimes.

9. Ittybittyx

Ittybittyx Team Pink!

I've been eating turkey, but that is all for deli meat. I don't usually worry about what I eat (unless it is something raw). I think worrying just causes too much stress :)

10. Steph32

Steph32 Well-Known Member

If there is a chicken salad sandwich, I usually opt for that. Although I do get sick of that sometimes! I miss turkey sandwiches, but if I do get turkey I will make sure it's heated as a melt of something.

11. Sunshine12

Sunshine12 New Mummy

Im in UK so can eat deli meat no probs. (thankfully)
    Tuna is fine in moderation and if its tinned you can eat even more of it.