Delivering the placenta...?

Anicole10

Just the three of us :)
Reaction score
Question for all who are 2nd time mothers...How long did it take you to deliver the placenta and what is this injection they give you? What should I expect? I'm really curious although I'm sure I'll be too wrapped up in the baby finally being here...

I cant remember the details!!

I know they gave me a injection in my leg to help deliver it and the midwife slowly pulled it out ......it kinda felt like a tampon being pulled out!?! :blush: didnt take long at all!

But after you've just pushed a baby out - it'll be nothing! and you'll be so wrapped up with lo :thumbup:

Why the injection in the leg...and what is it specifically? I'm really curious about this for some reason. Do you just feel the pressure? Is this why they knead your stomach...so many random questions haha sorry!

Have a read of this :)

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/thirdstage.htm

Thank you Zoella...I'm seriously considering opting for an elective c-section (my oh and mom think im being ridiculous). Something about tearing and this placenta business just bother me to bits!

After delivering a 9lb baby the placenta actually felt quite nice..A big warm thing being pulled out (no shoulders makes a difference lol) I have no idea what is in the injecion but I 'think' it came very quickly after she gave it to me

After delivering a 9lb baby the placenta actually felt quite nice..A big warm thing being pulled out (no shoulders makes a difference lol) I have no idea what is in the injecion but I 'think' it came very quickly after she gave it to me

Did your stomach deflate or were you still pretty plump and swollen?

I think the injection is to speed up the placenta delivery and to reduce the chance of high blood loss.

You can deliver it naturally without the injection and I think it takes 1-2 hours (or can take). The injection makes the placenta come away quicker so its all out within half an hour.

My placenta came out very very quickly! With all the hoo-ha of pushing him out I didnt even know they'd given me the injection (I'd given my permission for it though)
It felt nice when it came out, mine was on the front and I remember her giving it a slight tug and it came out, felt like I'd lost a massive weight!

On my notes it said it took 4 mins. Virtually immediately after the injection was given! it felt like my insides falling out! It wasn't unpleasant though. The feeling of the cord 'in' me felt far stranger. To the OP who is wondering about an elective section....seriously I was terrified of the whole process but it really wasn't that bad- nor has the recovery been bad! I was out of the hospital within 3 hours of delivering. And she's my first! :thumbup:

Even though i've done it twice this bits always a blur to me i suppose i'm just besotted with baby at that time but it definately wasn't painful or anything bit wierd feeling maybe x

this is good question about the stomach, ive been wondering the same:shrug:

It is very quick. I didn't get an injection with either of my previous births. Just pushed once after the baby was born and the placenta came out. It kinda just slides out, no pain at all and I agree with the earlier poster it sort of feels good like a bit of weight is gone. After you have the baby your tummy is a little swollen and it takes a few weeks for your tummy to start looking semi normal again. All that stretched skin has to go back. After birth if you touch your tummy it feels like jello, very mushy and depressing at first, just remember it will go away with time :)

It is very quick. I didn't get an injection with either of my previous births. Just pushed once after the baby was born and the placenta came out. It kinda just slides out, no pain at all and I agree with the earlier poster it sort of feels good like a bit of weight is gone. After you have the baby your tummy is a little swollen and it takes a few weeks for your tummy to start looking semi normal again. All that stretched skin has to go back. After birth if you touch your tummy it feels like jello, very mushy and depressing at first, just remember it will go away with time :)

pretty much how i thought it might feel then.
i was however a little disturbed not so long ago, a friend came to visit with her baby a few months ago, the baby was 5months old, but her stomach looked well into being 7 months pregnant(pretty much as i now look), i was really shocked, i was expecting to see a bit of extra tummy, but not quite 7 months worth, im hoping i dont end up with that much!(shes a normal size 12-14 everywhere else)

I wanted to wait until the cord had stopped pulsating before being clamped and it has to be clamped before getting the injection (it's a synthetic oxytocin that causes the placenta vessels to contract and come away). Unfortunately I had an assisted delivery and because I needed my epis sewing up the doctor wasn't comfortable leaving me bleeding so I guess I got about 5 mins of cord time then the injection and the placenta soon came away. This time I am not going to have it. I'm going to let it come away by itself which often takes up to an hour. Unless I have any serious bleeding I'll wait up to about 2 hours for it to come away before considering the injection.

so after bubs pops out the plancenta will come out and their get rid of it soon as i'm hoping?

this is good question about the stomach, ive been wondering the same:shrug:

my tummy was still abit inflated for a couple of days after but when i was breastfeeding it seemed to go down and I could feel it contract as I was breastfeeding and it went RIGHT down after about 2 weeks :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->