Delivering the placenta...?

What is the benefit to delivering the placenta naturally and avoiding the shot? Also, why would you want to wait until the cord stops pulsing? Sorry if those are silly questions, just didn't know there was that much to the placenta coming out. Just kind of figured you gave a few pushes when the nurse told you to and out came placenta. I would like to donate the cord blood and am not sure if that dictates how they want it delivered.

From what I've gathered if you allow the placenta to finish pulsing it's better for the baby (I can't quite remember why but everyone recommends it and I've read it in a few blogs).

Doesn't take long!
I have a picture if you wanna see it :rofl:
And take it from me, I ripped into my bum and was cut, had the vaccuum and forceps...and I HONESTLY WAS FINE! Recovery, FINE! I didnt even have painkillers after the birth!

Honestly, for some reason, it is not as bad as it sounds. Trust me, I was scared shitless of ripping.

Whilst the cord is still pulsing it is still feeding the baby with oxygenated blood. There are many benefits for the baby from receiving this blood. The question I would ask myself is what is the purpose of deviating from what is natural? The only reason to deliver the placenta early is that it reduces the risk of bleeding. You should read up on lotus births if you want to find out all the benefits of leaving the baby attached.

I was in the delivery room for 2 or 3 hours after everything was all done. I was paralysed from my failed epidural so had to wait to be able to walk. Then I showered. My mum returned to the hospital and saw me there - last thing I would've wanted is loads of visitors in the hospital, can't think of anything worse.

I'm actually really glad I posted this. I'm in the middle of writing my birthing plan and I just added a lot of really important things I would have never thought of. Thank you to everyone who contributed!

I spoke to my MW about this today when going over our birth plan and she was all for me staying in the water holding the baby feeding and waiting for the placenta to appear naturally. With the baby still attached :) I admit I was surprised as I thought they liked to hurry it through. I'm so pleased now as I wasn't sure how possible it was. I know it's my birth, my choice but MWs can sometimes be scary!!! It just makes total sense to me to leave baby attached until it's finished getting what it needs.

I had the injection too but it took a while for mw to pull it out. Had more gas and air too as it was pretty uncomfortable. Hard to remember too many details!!

I spoke to my MW about this today when going over our birth plan and she was all for me staying in the water holding the baby feeding and waiting for the placenta to appear naturally. With the baby still attached :) I admit I was surprised as I thought they liked to hurry it through. I'm so pleased now as I wasn't sure how possible it was. I know it's my birth, my choice but MWs can sometimes be scary!!! It just makes total sense to me to leave baby attached until it's finished getting what it needs.

That's great! :thumbup:

I didn't have an injection of any sort. She just told me to push and after that one push she kinda just pulled it out. It was no big deal. I did have an epidural so I felt no pain, but I did feel it come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->