Dental sedation during tww?

Chezzz

Reaction score
I'm due to have some work done on my teeth on 22nd July. And I need to be sedated.. AF is due 25th (last AF was late otherwise I would have been due 21st!)
I have no idea if I should just go with it? The work really needs doing... But I don't want to cause problems if I am indeed pregnant.
If I take a test on 21st I doubt it'll show if I am! And my app is early in the morning due to be being nil by mouth from the night before.

Not sure if I should chance it?

How are they doing the sedation? My dental practice used Xanax, and benzodiazapines are not cool in pregnancy. Could you have the work rescheduled 1 week later? Surely in the grand scheme of things waiting a week wouldn't hurt.

If they are just using the Gas though I think it's okay, I mean they use it in labor right? I'd ask your doctor to make sure though, tell him you "might be pregnant".

I think there are other sedation methods, but I'm not familiar with them.

It's through IV not gas. The clinic isn't open again until tomorrow now as they shut for the day. But I will see when I can rearrange. Their waiting list is so long though. I booked the appointment in the first week of May, and earliest I could get was this appointment. :(

Oh darn Chezzz.

I would still see if you could reschedule, I wouldn't want to risk it personally:

Surgeons perform these non-obstetrical operations upon pregnant women only for serious conditions threatening the life of the mother, or conditions causing serious disability if not performed at that moment. The normal policy is to wait until after delivery of the baby before performing any non-urgent surgery....However, anesthesia and surgery performed during the first trimester of pregnancy is associated with a high rate of infant death, while anesthesia and surgery can induce premature labor when performed in later phases of pregnancy. So any decision to perform an operation during pregnancy, is determined by weighing the necessity for performing the operation against the higher than normal rate of fetal loss and prematurity.

https://www.anesthesiaweb.org/pregnancy.php

On the other hand, if you take a test and it's negative, there is only a small chance that IF you were pregnant the baby had already implanted but was not yet showing HCG in urine. The odds would be either a) positive test, cancel surgery or b) negative test and not pregnant - continue, c) negative test pregnant but not implanted so no blood shared - continue, or d) negative test, actually pregnant, implanted already BUT not enough hcg in blood to show up in urine - risky to do surgery.

I would really discuss this with your doctor. But having read what I read, I personally would not do it. It is up to you to decide though.

I won't see the anthestist until the day it's due to be done. :/ it's someone I've never met I've just been refered through my normal dentist.
I'll try and rearrange. My mum is gonna be annoyed at me (she doesn't know we're ttc so will think I'm putting it off because I'm scared when she asks why I didn't go lol, not that it's her business!) so might have to say they cancelled lol!

Yeah, I would say something along the lines of "well they called, for some reason they wanted me to reschedule..." or "the doctor had something come up"....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->