dental treatment during pregnancy

emalou90

Reaction score
apparently we get it free.
so if we do is there any limitations?

i never went to the dentist after i was 8 because my mum was scared and i was conditioned to think the same.
i finally got up the courage when i was 16 :)

i asked about a brace because ive always been concious of a gap i have
but apparently they changed the rules and my gap wasnt deemed 'severe' enough for free NHS braces.

do you think this would still stand now?

i really dont want to pay over £1000 for braces :(
but i dont like my gap its very annoying.

x

hiya o i dont think you can get this for free because it counts for cosmetic and i think you can only get checkups for free and if you need a filling you get the silver fillings for free but if you want the white ones you have to pay

It's not just check ups that you get for free otherwise there would be no point... all treatment that is non cosmetic is free. Though, of course... white fillings are considered cosmetic.

and so is a brace I think!! unless its causing you pain or difficulties eating _ I suppose you could make this up??

I cracked a tooth at about 8 weeks and had to have a new one, however they wont let you have the metal stuff (is it amalgum?) when pregnant so I had to pay for a (cosmetic) white filling which cost loads- only thing I got free was the appointment charge!

NH bloody S!!!!!!! :wacko:

Aw unfort I don't think they'd do that :( if you're over 18 the NHS wont pay out for you to have a brace and I think this pregnancy freebee dental thing is only about if you need dental work done such as a filling or you know, medical (gums, broken teeth, pain in mouth kinda doodaa). I have a gap in my teeth too, had a brace and as soon as it was off, gap reappeared, though just not as big *shakes head* such a pain hehe

Hi, as others have said they only perform the absolute necessary, nothing that is deemed cosmetic, I think unless your teeth are causing you severe pain.

I'm really annoyed with my dentist to be honest. I've always had the most awful teeth & gums (I'm only 23!) but I usually need something done at every check up & I'm back with different problems at least twice a year. Plus a couple of years ago I passed out and knocked out 3 front teeth :( so I had to pay over £1000 to get them fixed.

Anyway.........at my last check up (a few weeks ago) I was told they were all fine (hmmmm!) and now some hurt slightly when I eat!! Typically he took my money, but won't do anything when I don't pay!

yeah its basically any necessery dental treatment we get free!

also my dentist said that work that could be done was limited during pregnancy to the absolute necessary, but of course, this could be due to them trying not to give treatment witout pay!!!

also my dentist said that work that could be done was limited during pregnancy to the absolute necessary, but of course, this could be due to them trying not to give treatment witout pay!!!

The dentist still gets paid even though you get it for free, the government pay instead. The reason some treatments are limited during pregnancy is due to safety, eg x rays are only done in an emergency so as not to harm the baby. You qualify for free treatment for a year after giving birth though so anything that cant be done during your pregnancy due to safety concerns can still be done for free once the baby is born.

and so is a brace I think!! unless its causing you pain or difficulties eating _ I suppose you could make this up??

I cracked a tooth at about 8 weeks and had to have a new one, however they wont let you have the metal stuff (is it amalgum?) when pregnant so I had to pay for a (cosmetic) white filling which cost loads- only thing I got free was the appointment charge!

NH bloody S!!!!!!! :wacko:

Yes, a brace is cosmetic.

How much was the white filling? I may need one at my next appt (my first ever filling!) and want a white one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->