Dental Work Safe?

savvysaver

Reaction score
I chipped a huge piece out of my tooth way in back, I called my RE and they told me it was safe to get a filling as long as the dentist doesn't use epinephrine. I am freaking out after a nightmare of m/c after getting a filling. Haven't even called the dentist yet. Anyone ever get a filling during the first trimester during a previous pregnancy? Thanks for any help!

As long as your dentist knows you are pregnant then you are safe. They alter their treatment to ensure you and baby are not exposed to anything that could be harmful. Go get it fixed before it starts causing you pain :) xxx

I broke a wisdom tooth. Like pretty much clean OFF at the gumline.

Showed my doc who said leave it until end of first tri if it doesn't hurt and isn't infected. My dentist and an oral surgeon agreed with that as even local lidocaine crosses the placenta and isn't generally considered 100% safe for early embryonic development.

If it is bothering you badly though then by all means take care of it. I am like you though and the worry would drive me insane (which is why I'm waiting as long as I can lol).

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/dentalwork.html

:flower:

I had dental work done last pregnancy. They told me to wait til second trimester, so I waited til almost 3rd. I asked what the injection would be and then I confirmed with my ob. The injection is usually 2 drugs and I had to skip one of them (maybe it was epinephrine?) so I think they just used novacane. All was fine. I would just be extra cautious and ask ahead of time and run everything by your ob!

We tell our patients its best to wait until out of first trimester. Its more because ANYHING that is going to go wrong seems to do so in first tri, not because dental work is unsafe. When you are safely out of this time period, we will always use a no-epinephrine anesthetic for any dental work.

Thanks everyone, I am really worried about the filling, especially after my nightmare. I had an early m/c at 6 weeks back in December and if anything happened this time around I would never forgive myself and blame the dental work.

Right now the crack/chip in my tooth doesn't hurt at all, I just don't want an infection. I am going to call and see what the dentist says and see if I can wait until my second trimester.

I had a large amount of dental work done during my last pregnancy in my second and third trimester. My dentist was very knowledgeable about what medications were safe for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->