Dentist help please

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by GersPrincess, Apr 7, 2009.

1. GersPrincess

GersPrincess Mummy of 3, soon to be 4!

Hi, I have a few questions about Dentists and am really hoping some of you can put my mind at rest here.

Ok, I was just enjoying some french stick, and half one of my top molars decided to disintegrate. My mouth immediately filled with blood, and I was hit by quite possibly, the most excruitiating pain I've felt in a very long time.
    I havent got a Dentist, as I was going to sort it out when I got back from holiday, so I called NHS 24.

They were fab, and told me to take 2 paracetamol every 4 hours, swill salt water round my mouth and sleep pretty much sitting up with loads of pillows.
    I'm going to get a call in the morning from the Community Dentists with an appointment for sometime tomorrow. Which is great, but it really really really hurts :cry:

What I'd really like to know is....

Now that half my tooth has come out, will the Dentist need to remove the rest of it?
    As it is so painful, is it likely that my root is exposed and will this need to be dealt with? (If so, how?)
    If I get given the local anesthetic, is it safe in pregnancy?
    If an x-ray needs to be taken, will this harm my baby?
    Will the whole treatment be free, or will I have to pay something towards it?

Thanks in advance for your help :hug:

2. Arcanegirl

Arcanegirl Bazinga!!

Not sure about most of your questions but you will get your treatment for free, do you have a maternity exemption card?

Xrays, my dentist says they are safe to do but his personal opinion is he wouldnt do one on me untill after baby is born.

3. malpal

malpal Mummy to 3 girlies!!!

Hey hun, to answer some of your questions...
    Will it be free... Yes as long as your seen by an NHS dentist and not privately. (community dentists are nhs)
    Local anaesthetic... Is safe to use in pregnancy, but make sure the dentist is obviously aware you're pregnant.
    Will they need to remove the other half of the tooth... Depends on where the tooth has broken and if it can be filled (sometimes they can use pins and things to build up the tooth)
    Root pain.... Quite possibly the break has affected the nerve, hence the severe toothache. Or it could just be the trauma to the gum area. Hopefully the pain will start to settle, but if the nerve is involved then it maybe nescessary to have a root filling or the tooth taken out. Don't worry about that yet, as it may just need a simple filling.
    X-rays aren't recommended in pregnancy unless absolutely nescessary. Most things can be done without the need, but things could be done temporarily until after your baby is born and an x-ray can be taken.
    Hope you get things sorted and it's not that bad.
    xx

4. Coffee

Coffee I don't know

ouch, ouch, ouch!
    I've had this happen before (altho not while pg!) - i ended up having the nerve taken out and then the dentist sort of built my tooth up with a filling (all under local anaesthetic). She said it might not work and i might end up having to have it taken out but we could try it this way first - that was about 5 years ago and not had a problem with it since so far.
    Good luck tomorrow :hugs:

5. GersPrincess

Thank you thank you thank you! I hadn't even thought about a temporary fix until after the baby is born! I don't feel quite so scared now I know that, hopefully I'll get some sleep tonight now! (After I've actually found the "safe place" I put my exemption card in lol) xxxx

6. Dizzy321

Dizzy321 very proud mammy to 3!

yes, thats what i would have said too, coming from another dental nurse lol. hope the pain is not to bad there is nothing worse than toothache :hugs:

7. teeny-j

teeny-j Well-Known Member

i had a tooth that did the same thing. all that was left was the root. my dentist tried to remove what was left. he got most of it. there is still some left. i am getting it surgically removed after baby is here. i had an infection but it cleared up without any antibiotics. my dentist was really understanding. said i would be better with an x ray but said he would do his best going in blind and would sort out the rest after baby has arrived.

hope this helps
    xx

8. GersPrincess

Definately, thank you again. I really hope I fall asleep quickly tonight, it even hurts to swallow saliva now!!

9. highlandlassi

highlandlassi pregnant with twins

hi there. if you are in pain go buy oil of clove (at any pharmacy) it is a life saver. depending on how your tooth broke you can either drip it on there or if there is kind of a hole you can soak some cotton ball in clove oil and pack in the hole..TRUST ME this works amazingly. i am 16 weeks with twins and had the same thing with a wisdom tooth. it broke near in half and in trying to make it to second tri before having it removed i only survived with clove oil. as far as having the tooth remove...it is safe. much better than the damage the stress from the pain can do.,...as far as x-rays they are safe as well... they will double or triple vest you, and if they have digital xray it is about the same as 20 minutes in the sun. i just had my wisdom tooth extracted last week and my babies are still fine. and i am no longer in pain! yay. but for now go buy clove oil!!

10. keerthy

keerthy Well-Known Member

Acc to me routine dental treatments are safe during pregnancy. Local Anaesthetic is safe... but whatever the treatment it is wise to take consent from mid-wife or gynaecologist.

It is better if u get the other half of the tooth removed - it can prevent further pain/infection and unnecessary antibiotics/medications. If root is exposed u have 2 options - get it removed or get root canal done!

X-rays are safe... but must be taken only if necessary! and the bump must be protected with lead sheilds!!!!

In the UK u need not pay if u have mat exemption card!

Hope it helps!

Keerthy

11. GersPrincess

Thanks for all your replies girls. I've just got back from the the Dentist, and she was so lovely to me.
    NHS24 had referred me to the community dentists, and the ones I went to see, deal specifically with pregnant ladies, and those had a baby within a year.
    I had my gums numbed with something, and then the local injected. I was most worried about that as I hate the feel of the needle going in my gum!
    The dentist removed quite a bit of decay, and has patched me up with a temporary filling. She said I've to go back once I've had the baby, and I'll have to get either a root canal or extraction done.
    She is the nicest Dentist I've ever seen, really gentle and caring and I feel so much better.
    I'm not looking forward to the anaesthetic wearing off, but I'm so impressed I got seen so quickly and dealt with so nicely! Now I can look forward to my holiday and not have to worry about tooth ache!

Thanks again for the replies, you really did make me feel better xx

12. malpal

malpal Mummy to 3 girlies!!!

So glad you got sorted hun. Glad you liked the community dentist! I'm a community dental nurse so obvioulsly i'm biased, but despite what some think there are some nice dentists out there! xx