Depressed that I cannot nest the way I want to... :(

sassymrsbee

Reaction score
We were met with really upsetting news a few weeks ago that the owners of our house that we rent are selling it, we were given until August 1st( the end of our lease) to move out. :( I was so upset and devestated, I love my house and the thought of moving was awful, especially right around the time I will have a brand new baby!
My husband and I did a lot of thinking and praying, and decided to move as soon as possible so that we were already in a new place before the baby comes. Well, my parents happen to be moving in July, so we will actually be renting thier house from them. Very convienient, its a great house and I love the idea of raising my daughter in the house I grew up in!
But since they are not moving until July, and we still dont want to be moving with a newborn, we will be moving out of our house at the end of this month and be living with my Mother in Law during May, June, and July. (trust me, if we werent going to be able to save several grand by doing this, I would NOT be ok living with my MIL!)
In a way I know everything will work out for the best, we will eventually be in the house we will live in, around August 1st. Plus by living with my MIL we will be able to save up a good amount of money, not to mention having another adult around to help with the baby will be nice, maybe I will actually get some sleep!

I am just really depressed that I will not actually be able to put together her nursery before she arrives. I know I will have fun doing it when we move into the house, but I have already started to get stuff for the nursery and my baby shower is coming up, and I will have to put all the stuff in storage until we move into the bigger house. :( I will only have the basic newborn essentials at my MIL's house.

Does anyone have advice of how to "nest" without actually putting together a nursery? I want to be able to "prepare" for her arrival and get ready, and actually have the feeling of "nesting" and getting excited, but without our own space I just dont know how to do it.

I'm in the same situation and was sitting here crying about it when I saw your post. We have to move when baby is six weeks old. We will probably then move temporarily in with our in laws for a month then finally into the place we will live in for a year. I feel terrible that I can't give my baby a nursery for at least two months after she's born and all that upheaval will be hell. I feel very sorry for myself right now. Sorry you can't nest properly either.

I found prewashing his clothes to be one of my favorite nesting activities. It was fun rediscovering all the cute little outfits and the ittty bitty socks just slay me! Folding his little outfits and thinking about putting him in them was so nice :thumbup:

I doubt I'll ever enjoy laundry like this again :haha:

Are you near enough and are your parents willing to let you decorate and set up a nursery there ahead of time? You still wouldn't be using it until you actually move in but at least that way you could kick the nesting bug and have it all ready for when you do move in. One less thing to worry about.

Otherwise just focus on what you can. Organize all the baby stuff, set up what you can once you move, maybe add a few easy to remove wall decorations ect. You may not be doing painting but you can still set up a nursery (or nursery area of your bedroom if you'll be sharing) as baby will still need some things no matter where you live. If space is tight you can get extra creative with organization, cute bins/storage containers and ways to fit it all. It'll at least give you something to do to pass the time. Good luck :)

oh huni ... setting up a nursery isnt reli necessary until later anyway...

i set ours up and i wont even use it til lo is a few months old anyway coz hes sleeping with us in a moses basket anyway...

some fun nesting activities that you can do are :

washing all babies clothes ...
washing all his blankets/swaddles or whatever and little things
packing babys and your hospital bags
setting up and learning how to use your stroller/pram if you bought one
setting up the car seat if u have one
setting up his bassinett or basket or whatever bedding he is gonna have at your mil's house
coming up with fun cost effective ideas for your lo ...for example I wanted a nappy caddy thing to put nappies, wipes, cotton balls and creams... all of em here were over $50 and i wasnt going to pay that so i bought 3 boxes from our local craft store and used the lid of the biggest one as a base and put two boxes glued together inside to make a nappy caddy to sit on the tall boy next to my change table or move with me if i change lo in my bedroom....

https://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh70/91drac51/20130330_162237.jpg

there are a few little activities u can do to keep amused... im spacing mine out hahah coz i like doing em so i wanna save some for later as not to get bored lol

We are renting, and although safe in the house with the lease, we can't decorate the nursery as we'd like because it's a rental property.

I was a bit upset at first, especially seeing pictures of beautiful nurseries on here, and on friends FB pages, but I soon found that doing what I can realistically has helped:

1) Clothes have all been washed, and things like nappies, creams, etc have all been sorted and put into place on the changing table.
2) We have put our sons crib into our room yesterday, and I already feel better knowing that it's where I want it to be.
3) Rather than decorate the spare room, I've managed to clear one of the wardrobes in our room and the dresser in the spare and all our sons stuff is neatly organised into one or the other (made me feel so much better)
4) As we can't decorate, the aim for this week is to go and get some wrapping paper that I like with a baby boy theme and use blue tack to fix that onto the walls in the corner of our room where the crib is, and to get a divider so that our son can have a part of the room that's "his" without actually making any permanent modifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->