Desperate! Problems bf

EmmaRB

Sam, 16 mths
Reaction score
DS was born on 20th April and I started breastfeeding straight away. He took over 4 weeks to regain his birthweight and by 5 weeks the doctor suggested I tried a non dairy diet to see if that was the problem. He was beginning to look thin and wanted to feed the whole time. The following week he only put on an ounce so they told me to start supplementing which I did. His weight then shot up so it was obvious that I just hadn't been producing enough milk. I then started taking fenugreek and expressing at the end of every feed to encourage my production. Eventually I was able to reduce the formula and for the last 2 weeks I've been able to feed him just from me with 3 hourly feeds being the norm, a bottle of expressed milk after his last feed and he was sleeping through the night and during the day - heaven! I thought I had it sorted. So off I stroll to the clinic to get him weighed, only to find out that in the last two weeks he has lost 0.02kg. Not a big deal in itself but not good either. That night he wakes twice demanding to be fed which he hasn't done for about a month. For the last couple of days I've had to give him formula during the day and he's suddenly started really struggling to feed off my right side, pulling away and screaming.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar - any part of this? I'm at my wits end and feeling seriously like giving up bf now. If all the work I've put in hasn't produced the results, is it ever going to?

Any help would be appreciated, before I get seriously depressed. :cry: Thanks. x

Aww I don't know what to say but didn't want to read and run. What about the number of his dirty/wet nappies a day? I would say that if the number of these are normal then I wouldn't worry. Have you spoken to your health visitor?

Please don't be upset. Breastfeeding is hard and if you're finding it to not yeild any results than don't feel guilty switching to formula. You're only doing what's best for your little one.

:hugs:

Could be a growth spurt, theres meant to be a big one at 3 months. Altho perhaps not cos of the weight loss, I really dont know hun, its a tricky one xx

Breastfeeding is hard... people make it seem like growth spurts are a thing that only happnes to newbrons... But The first 6 months is all very rapid growth, it does tend to slow down after 6 months, but they still do have growth spurts.

I gave up BF and I bottle feed, and even with bottle feeding there were plenty of days where she ate tons. I also weaned early due to reflux so I never had probs with her waking in the night.

Thanks for the help. Speaking to friends, the exact same thing happened when their babies were 41/2 months old so they weaned early and everything sorted itself out almost immediately. I tried Sam on baby rice yesterday and he slept through - heaven!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->