Detergent help for cloth diapering US brands

S_a_m_m_y

It's a BOY!!
Reaction score
As the title states I am looking for major help from people who are experienced with CD detergents. I dont really want to buy over internet but want to know which brands are best for cloth diapering that I could find at my local store.

Liquid detergents or powder??

I used to use Arm and Hammer, but the really plain one. I'd occasionally add some Mule Team borax, if we had a bit of a niff. I tended to avoid the scented powders like Tide and Surf.

Apparently it's better for the cloth and for the machine, but I used liquid. I had a top loader, I don't know if that make any difference.

I use the Tide Free and Pure on my diapers, with Oxiclean. Works pretty well

I've used a bunch of different ones, but have been using Tide Original powder for ages without any problems. I'll occasionally add a scoop of oxyclean or a scoop of washing soda to make sure they're really clean but other than that, I haven't needed to strip wash since switching to tide.

Thanks, Does anyone make their own detergent? would be open to some recipes

I tried a wahm detergent that was basically oxyclean, washing soda and borax- problem is that there aren't any surfactants (soaps) in that so the diapers don't really get clean (need the surfactants to lift the "dirt" off the diapers and the other stuff mainly just helps rinse soaps away better). The other homemade recipes usually have a bar of grated soap in them but then you have the problem of the soap leaving a residue, making the diapers less absorbant. I tried combining the wahm stuff with soap nuts and that was semi-successful. I've heard of people doing the oxyclean/washing soda/borax recipe with a squirt of dishwashing soap but haven't bothered trying it myself- at this point, Tide is working and for the small amount I use in a load, it's not costing enough for me to change. hth :)

I've heard really good things of Allen's, but never got to try it.

fluffy mail coming today in the post....so excited...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->