Developmental delay-advice needed!!!!

Nathmum

Reaction score
Advice need on developmental delays!!!!!
Hi I was just wondering if anyone could offer me any advice on my 9 month old son.
He is my fifth baby and all my other children developed normally at the time they were supposed to. The story with my son starts when I was 11 weeks pregnant, for the first time in my extensive obstetric history I had a bleed. I was told it was a threatened miscarriage, however a scan 2 days later showed baby was fine and pregnancy proceeded with no further complications, he was born at 37+6 all normal. When my son was born, he basically spent the first 4 months of his life asleep. He would only half wake up for a feed. He became slightly more alert by 5 months but didn't reach most of his milestones. He was able to smile, but didn't respond to his name etc(and still doesn't).
To cut a long story short, at 9 1/5 months now, he can only just roll onto his tummy, not back, he cannot sit up even with support, he bears no wright at all onto his legs and cries if I try to encourage him, he can't crawl, he says dadadada, but that is the only sound he really makes, he still has problems when feeding solid or milk, he seems to choke. He still doesn't respond to being called, although I'm pretty sure he can hear. He isnt able to grab things properly, and never puts anything into his mouth.
These are just a few of the concerns I have. I contacted his health visitor at 7 months and was refered to a paediatrician. She did a series if tests on him and he was sitting at about 4.5 months development.
The doctor has refered him for physiotherapy and a hearing test, which 2 months later I'm still waiting for! She will then review him again at 14 months.
I really don't mean to sound impatient but I would really welcome any advice as the weeks are ticking by and I'm still seeing no improvement in my little man.
I know all babies develop at different rates, but I can't help but be worried.
Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

I didn't want you to think that nobody had seen your thread :hug:

Our little boy has developmental delay, he was 11 weeks prem and under-sized at birth, then had epilepsy in his first year. We estimate he's about 6 months behind his actual age, 3 months behind corrected age. He's seen by paediatricians, physio, audiologists ... supposedly he has a hearing loss but we think that's a minor loss coupled with attention deficit (the audiologist disagrees) ...

I have no real advice for you, just keep pushing for those appointments.

Thank you for your reply, its all so frustrating! I know something is wrong with him, I just want to know!
You are definitely right about pressing for the appointments.

Hi there
Ive only just joined but this post could have been written about my son when he was that age, it almost exactly describes him! He's now 4 and a half. He's my world, along with his two brothers and I love them all dearly, but I wish I knew then what I did now :). He didn't do all the things that you have explained, the only exception is the sleep part-my son rarely slept for more than 1-2hours at a time for the first 3yrs :-(
We knew from around 3 months old that there was something wrong, but all I kept hearing from the GP and health visitor was that he was delayed and would catch up eventually. Well to cut an extremely long story short ( and believe me its long!) he was diagnosed with Autism at age 3yrs. My advice to you, and I so wish someone had said this to me, is to nag, nag and nag again! Insist on that paediatrician app. and don't let them make you doubt what you feel. He may not have autism or anything similar and may just be delayed, but if it turns out to be something more, then the earlier you get help for him the better. I really hope you get some answers soon, I know how frustrating it can feel :wacko: xx

hi I would def push for they appointments, make a wee appointment with your GP for the little one and ask them to push for a referal

Ellie is 26 weeks (19 corrected) and is still at a development stage of 11 weeks for somethings, she had physio for a few things too and light therapy to help with her senses and motorskils as we have been told that she has mild cerebal palsy but this cant be confirmed til the age of 2 - 3 xx

Thank you both so much. Sometimes I feel so alone, it's really frustrating. My little man is now 10 1/2 months and there is no improvement. Spoke to hv today and she chased up physio only to be told that we will probably have to wait another 8 weeks or so. Hv is coming to the house on mon as she has not seen ds since 7 months of age! I just don't know who else to keep badgering! I think I will make another app with gp and see if she can push for some answers.

yeah go go the dcotors and just say that you have spoken to the HV but feel that waiting another 2 weeks IF there is any develpoment problems is just to long to wait xx

I advise you get some Genetic testing done. Our little man sounds very similar and at 9.5 months he is still not rolling, crawling or standing. He has just been diagnosed with a deletion of Chromosone 16 and now we are heading into a lot more testing for him and us

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->