diabetes test at the hospital?

mum2b2009

mummy of two boys!
Reaction score
hi people, has any one had to have the diabetes test that they do at the hospital were you have to drink a sugary drink and they take blood? how was it? when did you get your test results back? thanks xx

Hi there!!

I had one at about 26-28 weeks (can't quite remember now!!)
It was fine, an initial blood test after fasting over night, drank the sugary drink then went back 2 hours later. It was a bit boring hanging around as you are not allowed out of the unit to go for a walk. Take a book or music/IPOD etc

The hospital said they would phone me by 1 week if there were any problems, so I didn't hear till I went to the hospital for something else at 37 weeks.
You could always phone after a week for your self.

Good luck hun
Rachael
xxx

I've had it done, it was ok, just be prepared for how that drink will make u feel. I felt like a zombie for about 2 days, especially that day i was fit for nothing!!!! I got the results about 3 days later. Good luck

Hi there!!

I had one at about 26-28 weeks (can't quite remember now!!)
It was fine, an initial blood test after fasting over night, drank the sugary drink then went back 2 hours later. It was a bit boring hanging around as you are not allowed out of the unit to go for a walk. Take a book or music/IPOD etc

The hospital said they would phone me by 1 week if there were any problems, so I didn't hear till I went to the hospital for something else at 37 weeks.
You could always phone after a week for your self.

Good luck hun
Rachael
xxx

thanks racheal! pretty straight forward then! we are going to be in there for ages as we have a scan after! .....something to look forward to tho!
good luck xx

I've had it done, it was ok, just be prepared for how that drink will make u feel. I felt like a zombie for about 2 days, especially that day i was fit for nothing!!!! I got the results about 3 days later. Good luck

we have been asked to brink in lucozade, is that what you had to drink?

We do two tests over here... one is a 1hr screening to see if you need the test and the other is the actual test. The 1 hr, you don't fast. you just go in, drink 50g of glucose wait an hour and they take your blood. If you fail that test you have to go back for the 3hr.

With the 3 hr, you fast for 8 hrs. Go in and have your fasting blood drawn. Then you drink 100g of glucose. At one hour they take your blood. Then they take it again at 2 hours and a final draw at 3 hrs. You're not allowed to leave the office or eat or drink anything.

I go for my 3 hr in about 4 hours. I'm not looking forward to it.

My drink was a glucose drink they gave me, which was extremely sugary and sticky!!! Lucozade should be a bit easier to drink and feel normal after!

We do two tests over here... one is a 1hr screening to see if you need the test and the other is the actual test. The 1 hr, you don't fast. you just go in, drink 50g of glucose wait an hour and they take your blood. If you fail that test you have to go back for the 3hr.

With the 3 hr, you fast for 8 hrs. Go in and have your fasting blood drawn. Then you drink 100g of glucose. At one hour they take your blood. Then they take it again at 2 hours and a final draw at 3 hrs. You're not allowed to leave the office or eat or drink anything.

I go for my 3 hr in about 4 hours. I'm not looking forward to it.

Good luck hun! does your run in the family?let us know how you get on. i don't think it works like that in England! we have to have bloods then drink a sugary drink then rest and have them taken again! and have to fast the night before! god knows why it is different way of doing it! x

My drink was a glucose drink they gave me, which was extremely sugary and sticky!!! Lucozade should be a bit easier to drink and feel normal after!

oh no poor you! i have had the drink before its well gloppy! yuk! yep lucozade..il have no probs drinking that hehe xx

I have got mine on wednesday, im not looking forward to it, let alone DH as he hates being stuck in one place for ages :dohh: i also have a scan afterwards aswell so at least there is something good at the end of it:happydance:

I like my brecky and a cup of tea on a morning so i dont know how i will cope with not having that!!!!:cry:

I have got mine on wednesday, im not looking forward to it, let alone DH as he hates being stuck in one place for ages :dohh: i also have a scan afterwards aswell so at least there is something good at the end of it:happydance:

I like my brecky and a cup of tea on a morning so i dont know how i will cope with not having that!!!!:cry:

haha i know! me too! they said that they offer you breakfast after! but i have worked in a hospital and i know what the food is like there! maybe i might be glad of anything by the time i get to eat! xx good luck xx

Good luck hun! does your run in the family?let us know how you get on. i don't think it works like that in England! we have to have bloods then drink a sugary drink then rest and have them taken again! and have to fast the night before! god knows why it is different way of doing it! x

Gestational diabetes doesn't run in the family but Type 2 diabetes does. Honestly, it's not the outcome of the test that bothers me. It's how I'm going to feel after. With the screening test, I felt all wired out and hyper for a couple of hours then I crashed really hard. My sugar dropped to 70 (3.8) and that was after drinking 2 Mountain Dews (high sugar, high caffeine fizzy drink). 90-120 (5-6.6) is considered normal. Even after I ate and got my sugar back up, I was still tired all day.

Today, we have too much to do for me to feel like crap. Have shopping to take care of and then our first prenatal class is tonight. It's going to be a rough day. :p

And I'm so hungry right now! I've not been allowed to eat since 4.5 hours ago and won't get a chance to eat for another 7.5 hours... 7 if I'm lucky.

The plus side... the hospital has wi-fi and I have an extra long battery. I'm taking the laptop. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->